Milliedale - Yorkshire market town terminus in N gauge

Black Sheep

I've decided to do away with my blog and instead, use a topic as I'm more likely to keep it up to date, but also I have seen the invaluable advice and feedback that has been given in other layout topics, so the first few posts are likely to be edited posts from my blog, but should soon catch up with real time.

Introduction:

I first started modeling in 00 thanks in part to my parents buying me a Hornby set for my 10th birthday, however I always had aspirations of running larger locomotives than my small 00 layouts could ever allow. While at university I wanted to build a model of Lakeside Station on Windermere, however realised I would need a similar space to the amazing Liverpool Lime Street layout that is featured elsewhere on RMweb. At the same time I realised that I could build it if I had a slightly larger room and modeled in N gauge. This opportunity arose when my landlord sold the house I shared with friends at the end of a university year, being the only one not graduating I found a flat with a nice large lounge, I now had space, should have some time alongside my studies and a bit of cash here and there to finance it. (wasn't much one for going out and could survive without buying random DVD's now that BBC had invented iPlayer!)

At the start of the university year I met the young lady who is now my wife, meaning I had the space to build (and the wood!) but not the time or money to do so until a few years later after graduation that working in a model shop meant I couldn't stand watching customers buy things as their layouts evolved and were built without doing so myself, however the only space I could have was a length of dining room wall, so a 1ft x 8ft layout (two 4ft boards) were built with the ambitions for the layout being to have a viaduct and a turntable along with platform length for a five coach train.

Track layout below:

indexmx.jpg

The intent is for trains to arrive over the canal into the station, loco turn on the turntable, run round, and exit with the train. There were a few stations with this arrangement, Holmfirth being one of them. The other main movement is coal offloaded from the canal. (the trackplan has changed slightly since)

The town is a small market town, called Milliedale (named in part after my wife for permitting me to build it) which I feel justifies the occasional black 5 and 5 coach train, but most trains will be slightly shorter and some freight movement.

in amongst building the layout, I keep trying to justify running what I like on it.

For christmas last year my mother bought me a very 1950's looking caravan (orange and cream), a series 1 landrover (so brand spanking new in 1948) and a morris minor van (1952 at the earliest) however all my stock is either in LMS or in the process of being liveried as LMS, the only exception being the Deltic DP1 that I have...

Perhaps nationalisation didn't happen? a couple of deltics in a similar colour scheme to the LMS 'twins' perhaps?

could even go as far as a class 43 in a livery inherited from the streamlined coronations?

perhaps crimson derby lightweights would have been produced?

suppose I can always quote rule 1: it's my trainset.

while pondering this, some trucks have been made quite suitably grubby:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=89350

A bit of tentative track positioning:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=96229

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=96232

The station area

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=96231

and the overview of the layout, I remember being quite pleased with how it was taking shape.

• RMweb Premium

I love watching these layout "start ups" and how they develop. I've got my eye on at least half-a-dozen threads in the Layout section.

Although I'm working in 00, I shall watch your progress with interest!

Jeff

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=131856

Part way through the baseboard building a house move happened and it acquired some legs, however the room isn't long enough to provide fiddle yard space, but that's a problem for later. You can perhaps make out from the sketched plan hung on the side of the boards, the canal has moved to allow for a longer siding so that the gradient is not as steep. I'm confident my jinty and hopefully my ivatt tank will be able to get four or five trucks up it with some control.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=131857

The canal has also had some attention given to it:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=142113

Trying to get a nice murky colour ready to varnish, that bridge needs a bit of muck on it too!

And since the wife went away for a week, the lounge became the perfect place for getting some work done:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=150992

Most of the track was laid, except for the track down to the canal (glue currently drying on that tonight!

not sure if the line through the goods shed ought to be a little shorter? opinions please.

the next jobs to get on with are the wiring and the control panel to be made, that and wire-in-tube points should keep me busy until pay day, then I can buy some spray to dirty the rails and the the balasting done.

Think we're about up-to date now :)

Looking great :D

Looks like you've built the board with scope to escape a flat landscape, which I think is very worthwhile!

I don't know a thing about trackwork for this era so the only comment I can make around the goods shed line is that as it is, it seems like it should join to the turntable. I'd be tempted to add a gentle radius to the whole siding so it diverged away from the end of the turntable? I guess it could also be argued that the goods shed could move down towards the end of the line as mush as the siding be shortened? Just a different idea which offers nout but to confuse with another option :P

As I say I don't know anything about track plans of this era so feel free to ignore me!

Talking of trackwork, I really like the way the trackwork curves gently at the far end. Very nice indeed :D

Regards

Lee

Perhaps nationalisation didn't happen? perhaps crimson derby lightweights would have been produced?

Interestingly enough, the very first batch of Derby lightweights had the same engine and transmission as the 1939 streamlined articulated diesel railcar. That was coloured in red and silver.

As it is, the end of the line out of the shed appears to be too close to the spur coming off the turntable. You could add a runaround from the siding to the left of the shed so that moves could be made around as well as through the shed?

• RMweb Gold

If possible move the crossover at the canal end nearer to the other points, it's out on a limb where it is and would introduce possible issues for the prototype - distance from the cabin, visibility and signalling of any shunt moves.

Originally the cross overs were both to be station side of the canal, however to position them to not be on the bridge they would join together. They are positioned where they are to allow for running round goods trains before propelling into the yard.

There is no space under the bridge for wire in tube or point motors.

Interestingly enough, the very first batch of Derby lightweights had the same engine and transmission as the 1939 streamlined articulated diesel railcar. That was coloured in red and silver.

Hmm, I'll be looking into that - already planning on converting an old farish brake 3rd into an auto coach to be run with my jinty

I believe some goods sheds were located on long spurs as vans could be shunned through and new ones put in their place, rather fan pulling vans out and putting them elsewhere. It made life easier, and reduced unncessary shunting moves.

That's what I was thinking, was also thinking of having my cattle pens on the bit of platform between goods shed and turntable since the goods yard exits onto the road that runs across the end of the board (at ground level)

Looking great :D

Looks like you've built the board with scope to escape a flat landscape, which I think is very worthwhile!

I don't know a thing about trackwork for this era so the only comment I can make around the goods shed line is that as it is, it seems like it should join to the turntable. I'd be tempted to add a gentle radius to the whole siding so it diverged away from the end of the turntable? I guess it could also be argued that the goods shed could move down towards the end of the line as mush as the siding be shortened? Just a different idea which offers nout but to confuse with another option :P

As I say I don't know anything about track plans of this era so feel free to ignore me!

Talking of trackwork, I really like the way the trackwork curves gently at the far end. Very nice indeed :D

Regards

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I keep reading bits of Hare's run, finding it inspiring, planning on following your method of weathering the track after I've got the point control working.

The track work isn't curving partly to try and fit the entrance road to the turntable in, and also the above plan for the cattle pens

The notion is that, being in Yorkshire, everything is on the side of a hill limiting the space available.

Hey, thanks for the comments :)

The track weathering method is a quick and easy way to get a good result, and I prefer it over hand painting the rails etc..people tend to go a bit red/orage with that. A dirty wash over the ballast and sleepers should tone things down and distinguish the rail from the sleepers a bit too :D

I see you point about the siding being straight. I don't know much about steam era track layout really and that little spur off the turntable throws me. What would it be used for?? (in the prototype as much as your layout) I could only guess it's big enough for a wagonto be stabled at best?

Looking forward to seeing this progress. the track plan does look great and I do really like that curve onto the bridge.

Regards

Lee

I like this very much. It's a grown-up version of something I'm planning:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49529-gillet-bay-%e2%80%93-a-19thc-branch-line-terminus-in-west-wales/page__view__findpost__p__598129

I've changed mine a bit to add a couple more sidings and to ease off the curve into the sector plate, and I've lengthened it slightly too. I'll post a plan up later.

Good luck with this, I'll be watching to get some hints.

I'm liking the look and feel of this so far - good luck with it.

" ... the canal has moved to allow for a longer siding so that the gradient is not as steep. I'm confident my jinty and hopefully my ivatt tank will be able to get four or five trucks up it with some control."

I'd be inclined (bad pun) to check this sooner rather than later just to be on the safe side. It's often the 'things we feel confident about' but don't actually check, that trip us up later.

Anyway - do keep the updates coming :)

Hey, thanks for the comments :)

The track weathering method is a quick and easy way to get a good result, and I prefer it over hand painting the rails etc..people tend to go a bit red/orage with that. A dirty wash over the ballast and sleepers should tone things down and distinguish the rail from the sleepers a bit too :D

I see you point about the siding being straight. I don't know much about steam era track layout really and that little spur off the turntable throws me. What would it be used for?? (in the prototype as much as your layout) I could only guess it's big enough for a wagonto be stabled at best?

Looking forward to seeing this progress. the track plan does look great and I do really like that curve onto the bridge.

Regards

Lee

The little spur on the turntable on the original plan?

that was intended to be a stabling point for a loco, not a shed, just water and coal facilities that I was going to use to run out onto the head of a train ready to leave, the loco having just arrived simmering for a while while taking on water and coal waiting for the next train.

there is not space on the layout, as such it's not going to be there.

the one in the last photo was pondering if the turntable should have an access into running through the goods shed or putting a loco staging point as described above parallel with the two station lines, shortening the goods yard to fit.

This won't be happening.

The current plan is that the furthest platform, where the building is, will be long enough for a five coach train, the nearest will be much shorter, the space between turntable and goods shed being cattle pens, accessed by pushing through the goods shed, alongside the goods shed will be the afore mentioned coal and water tank, allowing for a quick re-fuel but not stabling, on one of the platform routes, leaving enough platform for a 2 or perhaps 3 coach train.

most trains will run into and out of the large platform.

I'm planning on getting away with things based on the station having become a bigger station on the same small site (platform lengthened) due to there being no room to have expanded what was once a small terminus of what has, since the railway arrived, become a market town.

hope that makes sense and sounds feasible.

I'm liking the look and feel of this so far - good luck with it.

" ... the canal has moved to allow for a longer siding so that the gradient is not as steep. I'm confident my jinty and hopefully my ivatt tank will be able to get four or five trucks up it with some control."

I'd be inclined (bad pun) to check this sooner rather than later just to be on the safe side. It's often the 'things we feel confident about' but don't actually check, that trip us up later.

Anyway - do keep the updates coming :)

I did a haulage test on the ivatt on the earlier steeper gradient which it coped with, all track is glued down on the boards now (pics to follow)

the Jinty successfully drew 5 trucks up the gradient with no issues last night.

if it's only the jinty that can do the job, that's fine by me.

Hey, It was the spur in the photo that had thrown me. I've seen similar short spurs on other turntable plans, but I wasn't able to imagine how they would be used.

Thanks for your description, I like your plan and the backstory certainly fits well too :D

Regards

Lee :)

you do get some short, couple of feet, lengths of track on turntables, normally opposite a route onto the table, the idea being incase a locomotive over-runs, you don't end up with a derailment and by placing a short length of track, you can fit buffer stops to prevent an over-run becoming a derailment.

the one I had placed in the photo was just to see what might be feasable in my planning, as already said, pondering if I could station a locomotive (a use for longer spurs on a table) the yard's layout changed a few times before I settled on a layout similar to what had been planned.

There's a bit more to the back story, but i've not written it up yet...

well, part of this evening has been used to start work on the control panel.

At the moment the plan is still wire-in tube (still working on that one) and cab control, each section being turned on or off as required, this should, through the use of on-off-on switches allow a train to depart while another arrives or while the yard is shunted.

the design of the panel is that it can be attached to either side of the layout, when it's at home it's controlled from the front (which will be interesting as all point switches will run across under the back) but to exhibit it will be controlled from the back.

A hand held controller will be used.

post-10525-0-09270800-1329426907_thumb.jpg

From the front, just needs painting, marking up and holes drilled and switches fitting.

post-10525-0-60256000-1329426988_thumb.jpg

From behind, probably going to fit something to strengthen between the two ends

And now, a couple of updates:

post-10525-0-14062800-1329427158_thumb.jpg

Looking towards the canal, siding now in place, couldn't resist putting a bit of paint down to try and start visualising how it might look. still deciding if the pub should be this way round or should the front be parallel to the canal as it goes under the bridge?

post-10525-0-90476200-1329427356_thumb.jpg

Possible run of terraced houses with the scale scenes garage at the end - might be a garage/scrap merchants

post-10525-0-09277200-1329427521_thumb.jpg

and finally, the goods yard, the entrance/exit to it being where the little weighbridge being sited, I've sketched in where the cattle pens might go between goods and passenger line, animals being loaded onto wagons that have been pushed through the shed.

All track is now fixed, point motion and wiring to be done next.

Thanks for reading

A slight bit of progress has been made tonight, droppers have been soldered onto the rails although I need some switches for the control panel before I can finish soldering and start running trains.

Having attached the droppers I started on the topography:

post-10525-0-74852600-1330034042_thumb.jpg

post-10525-0-15294200-1330034263_thumb.jpg

So, the tunnel under the embankment (Wills 00 cattle creep) has been fitted and the embankment constructed, although there is more to be done that's all I have time for this evening.

Quite pleased with how the embankment has turned out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had hoped to update this tonight, however the wife has been using the computer for work and my soldering iron seems to have stopped working.

I plugged it in, used it, un-plugged it while I prepared the next lot to be done, plugged the iron back in, checked to see if it was heating up, decided to leave it a couple of mins and then found it was now cold.

not sure what's happened there but I now have a half soldered control panel and half wired baseboards and the last of this month's budget for the railway was spent on switches and modroc

Nah, that's just my 0-5-0 banking shunter.

What you can't hear is my deep booming Yorkshire voice saying "that's typical" before giving it a nudge.

Board 1 to wire next then I can get on with the bloody points (someone said removing the springs from peco points was essential for wire in tube use, bloody daft idea)

After that I can find and solve the dead spots, build a fiddle shelf and start playing.

Archived