When did horse/rope working of wagons cease?

I'm working on a cameo for my layout. The scene is a mill whiich is served by a private siding. Originally wagons would have been moved by rope and capstan (powered by horse) around the sidings in the mill yard. In the period I am modelling (circa 1965) the mill is still served by rail. It would still be necessary for wagons to be moved clear of the loading bay. This would be done by rope and capstan. By 1965, would a horse still be used for this, or might a tractor be employed? Moving the wagons by locomotive would be costly and time consuming in the situation I envisage.

On the basis that "its my railway" I could have the last horse on BR, but I would prefer to model something more typical.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of capstan working around in 1965 but it was not horse powered (ideally it would be hydraulic but often electric). Horse shunting was - AFAIK - usually just a straight pull from the harness to the wagon. Don't forget the horse needs unobstructed walkways.

BR's last Shunting Horse retired in 1967 so you're definitely in period if you use a horse for the job.

Mike and Adrian

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I can have what I want. I've left room for the walkways Mike so there's room for the horse to move around!

I can't see the video at the moment - My PC says I'm missing a plugin, but I can't download it. Not sure if the problem's with me or the video. I'll try again later.

Alex

How about a tractor (also in East Angla)?

Possibly easier than trying to get the dratted horse's legs to work realistically :mocking_mini:

Andy

[Admin Edit: image removed for copyright reasons]

How about a tractor (also in East Angla)?

Almost exactly the scene I envisaged. Any idea where it was taken, or the type of tractor?

It reminds me of an article by Michael Andress (in Airfix Magazine or RM) in the 1970's about making a shunting tractor, probably from the tractor in the Airfix Short Stirling kit.

• RMweb Gold

Mike and Adrian

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I can have what I want. I've left room for the walkways Mike so there's room for the horse to move around!

I can't see the video at the moment - My PC says I'm missing a plugin, but I can't download it. Not sure if the problem's with me or the video. I'll try again later.

Alex

You need the Windows Media Player plugin - google for it.

post-702-0-69574900-1331068999_thumb.jpgThere was a tractor or Tow Motor as they were ref to localy in every day use at Beverley until 1980/81, I probably have a photo.

I will stand corrected, but I'm sure a "Capstan" provided the power and was rotated from underneath, the tow rope was only wrapped around it. Therefore if you have a horse you don't need a capstan, certainly not when the horse is pulling the wagon. Best Wishes, Mick.

Archived