Narrow Gauge South 2012, Saturday April 14th

Arthur Budd

With just over 4 weeks to go this seems to be an ideal time to bring to the group's attention this year's Narrow Gauge South, the biennial narrow gauge modelling extravaganza hosted, as always, by Wessex Narrow Gauge Modellers.

This, the 11th NGS, is taking place on Saturday, 14th April at Sparsholt College, near Winchester, Hants between 10.00am and 5.00pm. Full details of the layouts and traders attending plus admission details and instructions on how to get there are to be found here: www.narrowgaugesouth.org.uk

With layouts in many of the scale/gauge combinations from 009 to SM32 it looks like it should be a real modelling treat, and with the venue set amongst the beautiful Hampshire countryside, it promises to be a Grand Day Out for all.

On a personal note, I will be dusting-off my 0-14 layout “The Brickworks†for one of it's very rare post-retirement outings, so do please come along and say â€Hiâ€. I'm always happy to chat about the layout even if, after all this time, some of the construction details are a bit hazy!

Hope to see many of you there.

Arthur

Excellent, you have made up my mind*. I just think The Brickworks is one of those iconic layouts and I will look forward to seeing it again.

* As usual my complaint of having to choose between two great shows on the same day, yet there seems to be nothing in between now and then.

With just over 4 weeks to go this seems to be an ideal time to bring to the group's attention this year's Narrow Gauge South, the biennial narrow gauge modelling extravaganza hosted, as always, by Wessex Narrow Gauge Modellers.

This, the 11th NGS, is taking place on Saturday, 14th April at Sparsholt College, near Winchester, Hants between 10.00am and 5.00pm. Full details of the layouts and traders attending plus admission details and instructions on how to get there are to be found here: www.narrowgaugesouth.org.uk

With layouts in many of the scale/gauge combinations from 009 to SM32 it looks like it should be a real modelling treat, and with the venue set amongst the beautiful Hampshire countryside, it promises to be a Grand Day Out for all.

On a personal note, I will be dusting-off my 0-14 layout “The Brickworks†for one of it's very rare post-retirement outings, so do please come along and say â€Hiâ€. I'm always happy to chat about the layout even if, after all this time, some of the construction details are a bit hazy!

Hope to see many of you there.

Arthur

As well as taking the Port Wynnstay Models trade stand I also hope to be splashing resin about as a demo. Come and say hello, I shall have spare gloves with me if you want to have a go at mixing and pouring yourself. Do bear in mind this will cease about 3.30pm as, although the castings are out of the mould after 25 minutes, they need to further cure enough to carry home at the end of the day.

Phil T.

• RMweb Premium

I'll also be there with Paul Martin and EDM Models. http://www.ngtrains.com/

Sharing the space in our room with be a demonstration by the O14 Group and I expect that John C will have his Zamzoodled couplings for sale. For further details see his conversations with John (Hayfield) here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52960-auto-couplings-for-0-165-stock/ and further information here http://www.zamzoodled.co.uk/

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be there with Isle Ornsay for it's first official exhibition appearance. It's a 'work in progress' exhibit.

If any members are there I'll probably be the one wearing a 009 Society polo shirt working out how to operate the layout as it's the first time it's had more than one operator! Come and say hello.

If I count correctly the show has:

• 28 layouts
  • 17 traders
  • The 009 Society and 7mm NGA sales stands

All this adds up to a great show.

Do go along for the best of narrow gauge modelling.

Julian

Just back after a long day - tired but a good show with plenty to entertain.

The place seemed much quieter than usual inside - but the parking was an absolute disaster. Badly organised with the caravan club taking over the upper car parks and I counted 6 cars parked so badly across the marked bays that at least 6 more cars could have parked. It is a pretty bad site for parking even at the best of times but when it is raining and with the remote car parks some distance and a hill climb or two away ... I near;y turned round and came home - in fact I did but a nice man in a yellow jacket found a space for me.

Hello.

A great little show with a few VERY inspirational layouts there that have got me thinking again! I will definately be going again...

but the parking was an absolute disaster. Badly organised with the caravan club taking over the upper car parks and I counted 6 cars parked so badly across the marked bays that at least 6 more cars could have parked. It is a pretty bad site for parking even at the best of times but when it is raining and with the remote car parks some distance and a hill climb or two away ... I near;y turned round and came home - in fact I did but a nice man in a yellow jacket found a space for me.

I wouldnt expect anything else from you Kenton! Hopefully oneday you will have something positive to say!!

Missy :)

I wouldnt expect anything else from you Kenton! Hopefully oneday you will have something positive to say!!

I did have something positive. It was a good show - once you get parked up and through the door. No one can do anything about the rain - but we could all take care to park in the spaces marked and not be so ignorant and selfish to park inconveniencing others. And the caravan club were a really snotty bunch pushing site weelie bins around to block access to THEIR parking spaces - similar to their road skills they were no doubt refining for the summer roads!

• RMweb Gold

Well that was a good show, or at least what I saw of it...

As usual being there with both the EDM Models trade stand and a demo for most of the day the only escape from our room was to remedy the result of too much tea. I did manage a quick look round late in the afternoon but still never made it downstairs. As a result, despite being there, I look forward to seeing the photos of what I missed here and elsewhere on the internet.

I enjoy NG south but its probably a good job its every other year as its a bit of an epic for us. This time we set off form York Friday afternoon having loaded up the van, collected more exhibits and Tim and Sylvia in Derby before heading south for the night at Sutton Scotney Services Northbound. [i know we were going south but so was everyone else making the Southbound Travelodge more expensive than the Northbound one] Saturday still involves an early start but not as early as the other part of our contingent that left Derby at 04:00 but once the show is set up and open the day just seems to fly by.

The journey home is made the same evening with a drop off in Derby and then on to York arriving home at around 23:00. Needless to say the van just got parked! It took the irate insistence of a hungry Alarm Cat to get me up this morning and then several strong coffees before unloading the van could be contemplated. Its all done now and I can officially announce my status as Knackered. Activity for the rest of today will be negligible.

Keep the photo's coming

Archived