G Scale Garden Railway .... 1970s DB

retroman

Having recently enjoyed a superb rail tour powered by V200 033, I have returned home obsessed with the idea of constructing a garden railway, purely so that I can enjoy running a LGB V200 .... not my pic ..... model yet to be purchased.

V200done.jpg

I have long thought about building in O gauge outside, but this would be a welcome change from my current attic layout (modelling BR in OO gauge outline). I own a typical British Victorian house with an L shaped garden and have knocked up a rough plan.

gardenplan.jpg

Google Earth image.

GOOGLEEARTH.jpg

As this is entirely new to me the construction would be in two phases. Phase #1 in Zone 'A' .... a single line with a run around loop and maybe a siding or two on a shelf-type board 18"-2' in width, at waist height resting upon the two convenient buttresses that you can see in this pic.

gardenpictures001.jpg

Before I do anything else the brick wall will be re-pointed and re-painted.

gardenpictures002.jpg

Phase #2 is some way off. Zone 'B' .... I envisage a loop around the patio area, running behind the coal bunker and through the shed, with a return spur back into Zone 'A'.

gardenpictures003.jpg

The obvious problem is how the track will cross the patio area .... either a long trestle or a wall ... depends what I can get past Mrs Retro ....

gardenpictures004.jpg

As I say, this is all new to me and I would be extremely grateful of advice, observations and links to helpful threads/sites.

I have a copy of Cyril Freezers book - GARDEN RAILWAYS - which seems to be a useful starting point.

• RMweb Gold

Well it looks like a good plan and how about a more typical German steel span bridge across the access to the patio? It could swing to one side or be removable and the wall could be a nice feature in itself.

If you want lots of info on building techniques in the garden may I suggest joining the Gscalecentral forum, along with a few others on here, as there's all sorts of good advice. www.gscalecentral.co.uk

Also have you seen the Piko G scale range with railcars, two diesels and two electrics for DB?

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/piko-152-c.asp

Thanks Paul, just the sort of pointers I need. That PIKO 218 in crimson looks awesome.

A swing bridge .... hmmm .... I LIKE that idea ....

My aim is to keep the track plan as simple as possible, a single track rural German railway with those lovely clunky semaphore signals.

• RMweb Gold

Good luck, I see you've jumped in on GSC but don't forget to show progress here too ;)

G scale has plenty of potential for true modelling and getting away from the just the train set image, not that there's anything wrong with playing trains like that but it's nice to see its size used to advantage as stock behaves more realistically with greater weight.

• 2 months later...

Archived