Roskear Branch

Tim H

A question regarding the Roskear branch.

1) When did it close, and was there regular traffic up to the end?

2) What wagon types were used? Did the branch last into the Speedlink era and see air-braked wagons, or had regular traffic ceased by then?

Roskear Branch:

1) Track removed September 1987. Branch taken out of use July 1983. The track was a deep rust colour since the early 1980's, as traffic was very spasmodic by the late 1970's. The branch was originally "cut-back" in 1963, as demand for it's primary commodity coal, for the boilers and pumping engines of the mines, progressively declined after WW2. Holman Bros had a road/rail "terminal" built in the early 1970's at the end of the remaining rump which received general traffic and machine parts and dispatched compressors and mining machinery.

2) Locos seem to be Class 25 or Class 46 in blue in the few photos I have seen (apparently there is one of a Class 50?). Wagons seem to be traditional mineral types and covered vans with some flat bed wagons(presumably for completed machinery dispatched by Holmans). I would have thoughout it was essentially"over and done with" before Speedlink.

Info mainly from John Vaughan's "Branches and Byways of Cornwall" (OPC).

I'm sure there are somme other threads touching on this although they may be on the old site which is currently inaccessible.

I have copies of Andrew Kirkhams pictures of a class 45/1 in Holmans taken in 1973 one of which appeared in Traction 200 issue if you can get a copy of it. I cannot upload here, but Cary Hills answer is pretty comprehensive. Class 50s did visit, 50016 was one of the last trips in there.

The traffic was not in Speedlink days. As space was at a premium in the sidings - only short trains were run down. There was no option to leave vehicles on the main line whilst shunting due to the many level crossing around- so this tended to be a special delivery location.

Archived