1980s Grey/Turquoise 'Rail Stores' ZRB Vans

Mike W

Hi all,

I've got a Farish wagon of this ZRB van:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h12BCF6C0#h12bcf6c0

(excellent site! no connection etc etc!)

The pictures on Paul's website show these vans residing in yards; does anyone know if they were used in trains at all? If so, what sort of formations?

I'm just trying to work out if I can run it realistically and I've never seen any pictures of them apart from on Paul's site as above.

Thanks,

Mike

How about between a bogie oil tank and a PCA cement wagon?

post-6971-0-78636600-1333027420.jpg

Hoo Junction in 1985. Probably in an air-braked transfer trip to be shuffled round eventually to some works to pick up the required stores. I think most of these air-braked 12T vans were "owned" by the Southern Region mechanical engineers. Don't know how many of them got that livery though. I've photos of others in that engineers' dark olive colour, and possibly also in patched-up brown.

So I'd guess they'd generally be found in ones and twos in other trains for the most part.

My take on the colour would be a pale green rather than turquoise.

• RMweb Premium

Always felt at least ex works repaints were a pale blue. I just kitbashed a Parkside kit with the later suspension underneath it in an attempt to recreate one of these and after a lot of umming and ahhhing decided on Regional Rail Light Blue which seems to look the part (at least in my eyes that is). Only trouble is no one does the Rail Stores markings in transfer form that I am aware of.

The markings on my photo look like a bad copy of the Rail Alphabet lettering!

As for the colour, Paul Bartlett's site has the same van, 781007, in June 1983, before getting this livery, so my photo can't be more than 2 years out of the paint shops, and probably not as much as that, so I'd be surprised if the green on it was in fact faded blue. Maybe there was some variety, as the OP called it turquoise.

(see the photos around http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h12BCF6C0#h5467b53)

I have modelled a couple of the vans with green/grey livery. I think I did the markings by mixing transfers together. There were steel opens and Palett vans with the same experimental underframes all transfered to the SR M&E section, only the vans got this livery, but SR bogie brakes and the SR Ferry opens got it.

I ran them on my TWY layout, they were added to departmental and freight trains to get to where they needed to be.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Archived