Corfe - LSWR

scottiedog

Ormesby Hall, Middlesbrough; a National Trust property; has a number of permanent model railways, of which Corfe is one. Built to 4mm/1ft scale, OO gauge (I think), it is set on the LSWR between the Great War and Grouping. Run by volunteers, it is open from 1.30pm to 5.00pm, Saturdays and Sundays, March through to October. Here some photographs taken at the weekend.

post-4345-0-27626700-1333546056_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-08733400-1333546127_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-75650700-1333546187_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Outstanding, but rather curious that there is an LSWR layout in Middlesborough. I bet there's an interesting story behind that one! Do you have a link to any more photographs?

I'd be interested in this also although perhaps the builder hails from up North?

I am curious to where all the thatched rooves come from, there are a couple in corfe. But the roof of choice is stone as it is more local than reed.

Maybe that is how the Miss Trust want us to see ttheir impression of the rural idal.

• Like 1

I am curious to where all the thatched rooves come from, there are a couple in corfe. But the roof of choice is stone as it is more local than reed.

Maybe that is how the Miss Trust want us to see ttheir impression of the rural idal.

Indeed, Purbeck stone was (and still is) available in 3 main grades, one being perfect for roofing. The only buildings being thatched were hovels owned by the very poor that were roofed by the dweller taking reeds from the slow flowing river Frome, some 3 to 4 miles away.

Edited by bike2steam

I volunteer at Ormesby Hall and am fortunate enough to operate and work on this layout regularly. The late Ron Rising who built it was part of the team at Pendon in the earlier part of its existence as you can see from the quality of his modelling. There are as many as six buildings on 'Corfe' which also feature on the main Pendon layout.

Ron was from Hampshire but lived most of his life north of Oxford. The layout is centred on Corfe Castle station but the buildings are an amalgam of real buildings from the Hampshire/Dorset and Oxfordshire areas. One of our members has researched the locations of all the buildings. The layout came to Middlesbrough when he was looking to dispose of it and simultaneously the then house manager was looking for model railway items to fill a restored but empty part of the Hall. He advertised in the Trust magazine and he must have thought all his Christmases had come at once when this arrived.

The layout was remodelled when it arrived to better fit the space in which is it exhibited and so some of the landscape work and the stone viaduct have been done by the then members of the group formed to run and maintain the layout. Ron did visit and approve the layout in its present form before his death in 2006.

It has been in several magazines; in Railway Modeller in 1990 when still in Ron's attic; in Model Rail in April 2006, followed the next month by a feature on the group's other permanent layout of Pilmoor Junction; in at least two issues of the Hornby Magazine annual, but featuring stock from other eras than the usual LSWR which we run on it.

The group meets in the Hall on Monday evenings to carry out any work on the layouts and we're always keen to welcome new volunteers. We also have two exhibition layouts which visit local shows to publicise the Hall and have recently completed a static diorama of Ormesby Station which stood on the edge of the grounds on land donated by the Pennyman family (and still does, although it's now called Marton). The layouts are open to the public each weekend and Bank Holiday afternoon from 1.30 to 5 between March and September.

• Like 4

I seem to have duplicated the photograph of the thatched cottages - must really get to grips with attachments! The first one below is the one I meant to attached! I've also added a couple more - I hope! Jonathan, thanks for the further information.

post-4345-0-89810700-1333564634_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-53639300-1333564694_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-20116700-1333564761_thumb.jpg

Edited by scottiedog
  • Like 6

The station buildings look like Corfe. But I am afraid the rest looks nothing like the place. would of been better with another name.

The modelling is excellent. I would love to see some of the trains ect.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...