RMweb private viewing and guided tour of Pendon Museum

Andy Y

Hi David,

No problem to see the Railmotor at all - we can go and see it up close as I am doing the tour. I look forward to meeting your Dad, ex railwaymen are always welcome to come and spin a few yarns and relive the old days!

See you Saturday,

Castle

Hi Ed,

There is catering on site and will be able to serve up a good lunch for you if required. The Prince of Wales across the road from the station does good food and drink if you would rather have a pub type experience.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Have a nice time and remember: do not hesitate to measure all sorts of obscure GWR dimensions. So pack your measuring sticks, tapes, rulers and micrometers.

Worry not - no measuring sticks etc but I am already 'commissioned' to take pics of the wheels and connecting rod etc of one loco for a colleague in't north.

On a visit to Pendon today I've settled up the balance for the visit on Saturday therefore any places reserved have now been paid for.

What, and you didnt pop round to say hello?

M :P

It looks like tomorrow's weather will be a far more comfortable 20 degrees; yesterday was 30 in the shade outside but upstairs in the Vale it was extremely warm.

I did get o poke the camera in some new spots, it's believed that no-one's ever photographed the shot below. In fact you probably can't even see it as it's in the dark side of a barn even on the scene's night setting. So much detail that goes unseen; the chain above the bike is from a safety chain on Roye England's mother's bracelet.

Barn_small.jpg

Just got back from a superb day and first thing is to extend a massive thank you to Andy Y and Pendon for the private viewing, Stationmaster for organising a great pub lunch and Castle for the wonderful trip around Didcot railway centre. It was a terrific day on all fronts and I'm currently wading through 200+ photographs of the day. Pendon is actually quite difficult to photograph as there is a mixture of lighting and all the exhibits are behind glass, so I will have to do a little work to get some decent pics. I felt like a kid all over again wandering round the shed and even as a hardened LNER man, I could fully understand the passion of railway enthusiasts for the GWR. Give me a short while and I'll post some pics to give a feel of the day.

• RMweb Gold

Great morning out at Pendon, many thanks to Andy for organising the private viewing. Pendon is truly breathtaking in it's scope (my first visit in case you couldn't tell...).

Spent a pleasant 20 mins chatting to the staff whilst eating packed lunches in the sunshine outside, before making for home.

Thanks again Andy.

Archived