STORMex Model Railway Exhibition, Saturday 4th August 2012, Cheltenham

moristoat

STORMex

Saturday 4th August 2012

Holy Apostles Church, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham

Full address: Holy Apostles Church Hall, London Road, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, GL52 6HW

Public – 10.30am till 5.00pm, Adults £4.00, Children £2.00

For those driving to the exhibition, on site parking is available (In the event that this becomes full, on-street parking is available but please be courteous to local residents). For those considering public transport, the hall is well served by Stagecoach route B from town centre and is a 20 minutes walk from the high street. Snacks and light refreshments will be available at the show.

Whilst a relatively small show, I like to think that a high quality of layouts has been assembled covering a broad range of gauges, scales and eras.

Layouts

Ravenscroft Sidings – P4 scale - Simon Bendall

Ravenscroft Sidings is a fictitious layout set in industrial Teesside. Set during 1988, the layout depicts the early period of Sectorisation as Railfreight adopted the sub-sector structure and associated triple-grey livery. Thornaby being the local main depot, its fleet of Kingfisher emblem-shod diesels is much in evidence, working a variety of trip, mixed and bulk freights.

Highbury Colliery - 2mm finescale - Jerry and Kim Clifford

Highbury Colliery is an attempt to portray a typical North Somerset Colliery as it might have looked in the 1920's. The layout is built to the fine scale standards of the 2mm Scale Association with almost everything being scratch or kit built and the intention at StormEx 2012 is to see the layout running in Hydraulic guise, c.1963/64.

Bad Horn – HO scale – Richard Bucknall

Bad Horn is a small resort town in the Teutoberg Forest, North-West Germany. The model represents this fictional line’s terminus in the mid-1990s, with DBAG logos appearing on Bundesbahn liveries. Railcars operate services to Paderborn, with push-pull trains to Hamm. Kurswagen from cities further afield also appear, as well as freight services including beer from the Teutoberger Brauerei.

Villier Street – EM scale – Ian Manderson

Initially constructed for the 2003 DEMU small layout competition, Villier Street represents a small BR diesel stabling point during the 1970s. Uniquely portrayed with its end on viewing and triangular baseboards, the layout features detailed rolling stock to the highest standard.

Parkend Marsh Sidings – 2mm finescale – Steve Nicholls

Hidden away in the Forest of Dean, Parkend Marsh Sidings is a first attempt at 2mm finescale modelling. Set during the early 70’s, steam has given way to diesel and the traffic reduced to coal and ballast from Whitecliff Quarry. After several false starts, Steve is certain this will be a work in progress… hopefully a working, work in progress!

Pallet Lane – OO scale - Rob Owst

Pallet Lane is a BR Urban branch line Station set around the mid to late 1970’s. Featuring a terminus station, cement terminal, and small fuel oil siding. The layout was featured in Railway Modeller, January 2010, and is due to be featured again in the near future.

Demonstrations

RMweb – Andy Y

A welcome addition to the exhibition, Andy will be bringing the RMweb road show, with a Photography and Photoshop tutorial.

EM Gauge Modelling – Kier Hardy

Kier Hardy will have a section of his new ‘in progress’ EM gauge layout Hornsey Broadway on display.

1/32 Modelling – Steve Harrod

Modelling demonstration of 1/32nd modelling. The locomotives and rolling stock are from his excellent layout, Worcester Road.

Trade Support

Shawplan

For all your detailing needs, Brian will be bringing his ever growing range of ‘Extreme etches’, detailing parts and nameplates in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm scales, for you to examine and purchase.

Clive Reid Second Hand

Clive will be back once again this year with his stand of second hand goodies for you to spend your hard earned money on.

I think that just about covers anything - if there are any further questions please have no hesitation to either post them in this thread or PM me.

Your support will be greatly appreciated, its already shaping up to be a fantastic day! Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Had been expecting it to be back near bracknal this year

Very pleased to see it in chealtnam (especially as I will be in the new house by when which is much nearer, and it coincides with shutdown so I will definitely be home.

Looking forward to it!!!

I was genuinely delighted to have an invitation from Rich to come along to Stormex, a top-quality line-up, some very decent folk and I'm sure it'll have a great atmosphere on the day.

Top job Clem - your year with the baton is looking like a winner!

Looking forward to this. Steve bringing Parkend means I will have to get my own 16T minerals sorted by August!

If we're located next to each other we could hook up our fiddle yards and operate some through trains and proper branchline workings... hmmm, food for thought!

Pix

Top job Clem - your year with the baton is looking like a winner!

If we're located next to each other we could hook up our fiddle yards and operate some through trains and proper branchline workings... hmmm, food for thought!

Pix

Really looking forward to this show and great to see an RMWeb/ Andy Y presence. Looking forward to the 2mm finescale content, as a new 2mm finescale layout owner....

(wonders what flimsy half baked excuse I can hatch to fly back and drop in on it...)

C'mon Pete - it's about time our paths crossed! Besides, you owe me a pint for those etches. ;-) (in all seriousness if you need a place to kip let me know, it'll be a early start though!)

Wrong end of the kingdom yet again - but I have heard of Charlton Kings so I might be tempted as they put on an excellent show.

I can sense from your message that there's no might be about it Mike... Come on down, bring the kids and use it as an excuse to pop into the Glos Warks - it'll be good to see you!

Pix

I'm looking forward to this show, I've been asked by Mr.Owst to assist on Pallet Lane.

Also looking forward to catching up with the 3 Rich's, Mr.Clements, Mr.Bucknall and Mr.Peddar, all of whom I haven't spoken to in ages.

See you all in August.

Regards

Neal.

I'm wondering how well I can operate my layout under the influence...

Should help remove the shakes when coupling up my 3 links. Will verify for sure when we go to Thornbury in November as they have a bar....

Thanks for all the replies, its shaping up to be a great day I hope. Even if only 10 people walk through the door I'll be very pleased and will view it as a success!

For me, its more about the social side of things, catching up with people I haven't seen in a while, adding to the banter, and just having an enjoyable day. Hopefully one I'll remember and won't be a blur with an added sore head next morning. All the layouts, demos and trade are merely a further added distraction!

A move back to the Thames Valley was considered, but the show last year, with a huge thanks to Giles, was a success all round, so why upset a winning formula?

Half us organisers are having to travel down from the Thames Valley to even run our own show, and like Pixie said, theres plenty of other things to get up to nearby after the show.

Wether this remains the final destination of the show for years ahead, I'm unsure, but I hope that those who can make it, agree the hall suits our requirements very well, and is in a fair location.

Cheers all.

Can't wait, I'll be there, Gutted I couldn't make last year, so looking forward to this! Pallet Lane is always an inspiration, 2mm finescale is much admired (I started too late in eyesight terms) and what with P4 diesels and BR blue from Mr Manderson, it's going on the calender right now!

• 1 month later...

Oh f...

Bad Horn is undergoing a scenic revamp, but I still need to make up the fascia and lighting. Then there's plenty of weathering needing doing, and a decision to be made on whether I'm running as DBAG or DB.

No pressure, Pixie still has an entire layout to build, otherwise there won't be the anticipated joining up with another certain 2mm layout which will be present...

Everythings pretty much done from the orgainsing side, for those exhibiting at Stormex - I'll be sending out a mail in the next week or so with directions, maps, dressing room rider requests.

Hopefully all goes to plan!

Archived