1/76 ford transit's

Guest stuartp

I think they were a bit earlier than that. I remember driving ones like this in the late 80s...

The body shape was earlier, I drove one like the one in your link in 1987, but I think Merv is referring to that specific style of grill. Not too hard to alter though.

"The body shape was earlier, I drove one like the one in your link in 1987, but I think Merv is referring to that specific style of grill. Not too hard to alter though."

Definitely. I could really use some Transits in this style. If they've produced in this special form, maybe they've also been produced as standard versions? Either way, a Transit model like this that lasted so long is a big gap in the market for OO road vehicles.

("Reply quoting this post" function isn't working me for at the moment)

Our staion cleaning team ones at bradford were on R plates, and had the later oval style of grill, i'll not forget, as i backed in to it and knocked the grill, admittely he got me back by pulling the number plate of my rover 400 with its towball

I have a set of these, from Hong Kong, via ebay, and delivered in a incredible 4 days from HK!

They are of the later version of the Mk3 Tranny, in long wheel base mode, note that the body length is the same as the link in Waverley Daves post, but look at the wheelbase its self, the later Transits were about 18 inches longer on the actual wheelbase, also with the different later style grill and headlights, if my memory serves me right from about late 1994 to the advent of the new Mk4 tranny in 1999/2000 (W reg).

These models though are very well detailed, and seems a shame to alter them, but I suppose they could be back dated a bit, although you would need to shorten the acutual wheel base first....they come with a HK post box too, which could be used as a car park ticket machine!

Personally I think they are worth the money, especially if you have a mid 90s to current layout.

R

Wow, I look forward to recieving mine on Monday then !

I have seen this model described as a Mark 5 Transit ( the third type with that bodyshell.) as well as the longer wheelbase they also had single rear wheels instead of twins on the previous models.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

There is a blog on the LTSV site explaining the different marks of the Transit, well worth a look. These HK models are very good, I have a set myself. They all come with an a/c pod on the roof which can be disguised as a medium high roof with a bit of body putty. They are constructed in a similar way to the old Minix models, I have yet to pluck up the nerve to attempt taking them apart.

...yes the "New Generation" Transit came out in '92 and lasted till '94 when the "Smiley Transit" came out. It became known as the Smiley Transit because of the grille , and was indeed a frontal facelift of the new gen . This is what the superb 1/76 models replicate.

The mods included new bonnet , grille, front and rear bumpers, wings , lights , doors , and wing mirrors . A new dashboard and steering wheel was done on the interior. This model was produced from 1994 to 2000 although there are plenty still around on the roads even now.

One of the best Transits built in my opinion !

Archived