G?tzold in liquidation

NGT6 1315

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

just in case German modellers on here should not be aware of recent events in the German modelling scene: Gützold have filed for liquidation after the current owner decided to retire, but could not find any successor to take over his business thus far. Unless they can yet find an investor, it looks like production will end on 31 May, according to reports on German modelling forums.

So, I guess I should advise you to obtain any Gützold models you might want for your inventory as soon as you can.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't Gützold the posh version of Piko? I thought I'd spotted a degree of parts-sharing between the two firms?

I'm not aware of any of that, but both companies are based in Eastern Germany. I could also imagine that the fact that both are offering a fair number of DR types may lead to similar solutions for models of prototypes offered by either one.

In the '60s, Piko, Gutzold, Schicht (and others?) were all marketed in the UK in a common catalogue.

That may be because of state monopolies in the erstwhile DDR. Personally, I used to enjoy find products from all three at rock-bottom prices (and copies of Der Modeleisenbahner) when visiting various countries behind the Iron Curtain in the 'seventies. I think they were separate concerns, as the tooling, motor and gearing (not to mention the weight - oh, I just did) of Gutzold was quite different to Piko.

• 5 months later...

Although Gützold´s web page is still up and running, Gützold has ended all activity and has been liquidated as per Sept. 30th this year, as Gützold failed to find an investor to take over. This is really a shame - Gützold´s post Wende models were of high detail and excellent quality.

I am not sure what happened to the tools, patterns and dies. I doubt that one of the mainstream manufactures bought them. Gützold had a very limited range of products, focusing on ex-Deutsche Reichsbahn and Saxonian stock.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I guess it'll remain to be seen whether the company will continue to use the name of Gützold, but as long as they'll be able to continue the standard of "Old Gützold" and also provide technical support for pre-liquidation models, I certainly won't have any reason to complain!

Archived