Shepherds Halt - the true story of Shepherds Station

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Shepherds Halt - the true story of Shepherds Station.

Recent research into the history of Shepherds Station has unearthed a hitherto unknown and quite interesting story. What most books would lead you to believe is mostly true, but there are sinister undertones involving the War Office, and the British and American Militaries.

Penhale Camp

In the late 1800s, the War Office saw the potential of establishing a large training camp on the dunes above Perranporth. The camp was split into two for operational and security reasons. The main part of the camp was positioned on the headland between Ligger Point and Penhale Point, the other smaller part of the camp was hidden in the valley to the southwest of Cubert.

Here, well away from prying eyes, troops were trained in all sorts of offensive combat, including demolition and sabotage. Whereas the Cornish population were usually keen to avoid any entanglement with government officials, especially the Excise Men, this 'not seen anything' attitude was encouraged by the War Office in order to keep the camp and its activities as quiet as possible. In exchange, the Government itself discouraged too much involvement of its officers with the locals' nocturnal dealings. Even today, only the main part of the camp on the headland is marked on OS Maps of the area.

With the arrival of the railway first to St Newlyn East, and then later to Treamble, the War Office were able to move troops and supplies to and from Penhale Camp far easier and with even less fuss.

Creation of the Halt

In 1903 the GWR opened the line from Chacewater to Perranporth. The War Office pressed for the line to be extended to join with the Treramble branch, and Shepherds farm was chosen as the most inconspicuous spot. In order to help with the subterfuge, the original direct link to Treamble (& Penhale Camp) was re-aligned, and a simple halt with a kickback siding installed.

post-7025-0-65120000-1372521439.gif

This simple arrangement allowed freight trains arriving from Truro to leave a wagon or two in the siding, from where they would be collected later by the small loco running the Treamble branch. Similarly, wagons could be left in the siding and collected by any passing Newquay/Par bound freight. These collections were usually timed to be between any scheduled passenger trains.

Shepherds Station

Also well known and well documented was the removal of the rails from Shepherds Halt to Treamble, allegedly to help with the overseas rail lines during the First World War. The track bed was still used by the War Office as an alternative route to the Camp and a massively over engineered bridge was built over the track just to the east of the Halt.

As clouds darkened over Europe again in the 1920s, a decision was made to re-instate the Treamble branch, with a cover story that the mines in the area had re-opened. In reality, the War Office and the American War Department wanted somewhere in Cornwall to store munitions and other non-perishable supplies in preparation for an assault on the European mainland, should the 'Peace in Our Time' intuitive fail. Deerpark Mine, just to the south west of Rejerrah was chosen as the adits were still sound and relatively water free.

It was at this time the track plan at Shepherds halt was altered to that seen in the popular railway publication and press. This re-connection of a direct link to Penhale Camp made it much easier to move troops and supplies, as trains could now run from London straight to the camp itself.

The fact that Shepherds was never an efficient or important station, as far as the GWR were concerned, can be seen by their reluctance to develop the site to their normal standard. There was no goods shed, the 'cattle dock' was built using old track rails rather than the usual fence post & rails, the platform itself was only wood, unlike the solid brick and stone constructions elsewhere on the line. The signal box was a short affair, placed on the platform rather than a separate building.

The War Office & The Camping Coach

With no road access to Deerpark Mine, goods to be moved out of the stores were re-loaded onto wagons and brought the few hundred yards back to Shepherds Station. The wagons were unloaded onto lorries out of sight of the station, the lorries then used the over bridge to join the main road network at Fiddlers Green.

The bridge also stretched across the wide yard to the south of the lines - this area was used for marshalling the lorries.

As the cattle dock was not really intended to be functional, much to the War Office's dismay the GWR installed a camping coach in the siding. However, this proved to be of benefit as it was commandeered and used by the British and American military top brass to discuss the D-Day preparations.

Closures

Following the end of the war, the Treamble branch saw less and les military traffic and was closed in 1952. In 1963, the complete line from Chacewater to Tolcarne Junction was closed. In order to maintain the secrecy of the smaller Penhale Camp and the role it played, it was decided to remove all traces of Shepherds Station. This exercise was not completely successful, for the sharp eyed there are still some remnants to be found.

• RMweb Gold

Of course, all this preamble is just an excuse to plan a model railway !

In order to prove the concept of the Shephed's Fiddle Yards and the idea of resting the scenic boards on the FY boards, I thought I'd make a shorter version of the layout (just 1 x 6ft scenic board).

This layout, then, will be as the diagram above shows, with just a simple branch leading off to a second FY entrance on the right.

Hi

What period are you planning to set it....

The latter years ,or in its heyday of during the war( possibly potentially the busiest & more interesting to operate)

I shall watch with interest as if it comes anywhere near to the quality of your 'cover' story it will be a great layout.

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

As I'm also building Shepherds Station ( the fiction being the line still exists today ), this is a second project to prove the baseboard concept and to get something running for potentially showing at local exhibitions at the end of the year.

So for this project I'll use the simplified trackplan , set during the late 1930s.

Guest 34008Padstow

Sounds good mate. I drive past the turning for penhale camp on my way to work in the morning, so definately going to be following with intrest

• RMweb Gold

Bill's question above actually caught me out as I'd not considered which time frame I'd model, and therefore which stock.

But, as I've described the trackplan being changed, it would be interesting to actually model the start of that infrastructure change. The platforms and station buildings could all be under construction, new track pieces laid in the yard ready to be installed, etc., and in the meanwhile the wagons are left & collected as before.

Thanks Bill !!

Bill's question above actually caught me out as I'd not considered which time frame I'd model, and therefore which stock.

But, as I've described the trackplan being changed, it would be interesting to actually model the start of that infrastructure change. The platforms and station buildings could all be under construction, new track pieces laid in the yard ready to be installed, etc., and in the meanwhile the wagons are left & collected as before.

Thanks Bill !!

Hi

'Tis a pleasure.....Certainly looking forward to progress & hopefully seeing it at a show

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

We camped in the motorhome at Tramble and walked all over the dunes with the dogs. The camp is a lot bigger than you think. There is also a road bridge near Rejerra thats a no go for a motorhome! Behind the Dunes it more sheltered and much more trees etc. Interesting project.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I found that road bridge - it is rather tight !

The original story was that the Halt would have been a forgotten stop somewhere between Shepherds and Goonhavern, but as I followed the road around the north of the Treamble mine area, I saw the gate to the Penhale Camp and the whole idea of a devious plot by the War Office (not the MoD - I've been told that didn't exist until 1964 !) was hatched. The area I've put the secopndary camp is indeed in the sheltered valley you mention.

• RMweb Gold

As this layout will be built before Shepherds Station, I'll document the baseboard construction in here (although these are being built commercially for me).

I've had a re-think in the design of the baseboards, trying to simplify the construction without losing the concept or the strength.

post-7025-0-67003500-1337588015_thumb.gif

The left image is the full width FY board. It will have a step at both ends, so the board can be used either end of a layout.

The right image is the split FY & scenic board - again with matching ends.

• RMweb Gold

Also had a play with the track plan and how the trackwork will fit in the scenery - looks good so far.

Next thing is to see how strong I can make a 6ft x 2ft baseboard from 5mm foamboard.

Or do I go for the pink knauf board (if I can find any...) ?

• RMweb Gold

A prototype operational question....

Given the track plan above ( which in fact may not be realistic, but ignoring that for a moment), there are three points which effectively produce two cross-overs.

Point A is off the main line to Point B, and Point C accesses the branch.

I'm assuming that A & B would always be moved as a pair ( individually switched but not one without the other) , whereas C would be changed as required, irrespective of B. Would that be correct ?

Also as the Branch falls from the Main, neither a trap or catch point would be needed for this track plan.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• RMweb Gold

A prototype operational question....

Given the track plan above ( which in fact may not be realistic, but ignoring that for a moment), there are three points which effectively produce two cross-overs.

Point A is off the main line to Point B, and Point C accesses the branch.

I'm assuming that A & B would always be moved as a pair ( individually switched but not one without the other) , whereas C would be changed as required, irrespective of B. Would that be correct ?

Also as the Branch falls from the Main, neither a trap or catch point would be needed for this track plan.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

A & B would work as a crossover standing normal for through working on the main line (and therefore for 'straight' running between the two kick-backs) the main line end would have a Facing Point Lock (FPL) but no lock bar as Lever No.1 (painted blue), Lever No. 2 (painted black) would work the A&B crossover. A third lever (No.3, painted black) could be used for points C and in the described traffic scenario that would probably have been the case originally and in that event the points would have stood normal towards the branch - pulling leverNo. 3 would lock Lever No.2 at its normal position and vice versa thus preventing any possibility of a conflicting movement.

Lever No.1 would be released by the single line token and would in turn release No.2; No.3 would effectively be 'free' apart from its interlocking with No.2.

Alternatively - but unlikely originally given the scenario - points C would be worked by a separate hand lever.

• RMweb Gold

Once again Mike shows that following the logic of avoiding conflicting movements explains the levers needed. I am not sure if you need the Pink stuff, if you were a bit nearer I could spare a piece of 60mm Recticile (just different trade names this is whitish PIR insulation) which seams fairly strong. Try local builders and see if you can scrounge a piece min d you with the latest building regs they seem to be going up to 150mm a bit bulky. I have a special saw for cutting it more like a very large carving knife it greatly reduces the dust. When cutting large sheets to fit between joists it makes quite a difference. Perhaps try the carving knife when SWMBO is not around!

Don

• RMweb Gold

I've been given permission from Middleton Press to use some of the images from the relevant books to illustrate my threads, provided I give suitable credit to the copyright owner.

This has also spurred me on to actually start construction, probably with the halt platform & wating room. As Perranport Beach Halt platform is actually now at Falmouth Town halt, a visit there to measure & photograph is also on the cards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

From what pictures I can find in the usual publications, several of the smaller halts on the Chacewater - Newquay line did not have any form of signalling. I'm assuming that this is because of single line token equipment being used.

So, given this track layout, where the main line would be used by those same token-carrying locos and the branch would only be used by a separate loco, would there be any need for signals of any sort ?
post-7025-0-93512100-1372521511.gif

The main line locos will be manouvering wagons into and out of the right hand siding, which will also be accessed by the branch loco (not at the same time ).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

• RMweb Gold

From what pictures I can find in the usual publications, several of the smaller halts on the Chacewater - Newquay line did not have any form of signalling. I'm assuming that this is because of single line token equipment being used.

So, given this track layout, where the main line would be used by those same token-carrying locos and the branch would only be used by a separate loco, would there be any need for signals of any sort ?

465_160639_030000000.gif

The main line locos will be manouvering wagons into and out of the right hand siding, which will also be accessed by the branch loco (not at the same time ).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

No need for any signals at all Stu - all you need is the ground frame (as previously discussed) plus a hut alongside it for the token instrument - you can find examples of those at various places around your county I think). The ground frame should be next to the point in the running line.

However if you really truly fancy having some signals you could have a nice little intermediate 'block-splitting signalbox a la Tregoss Moor 'box of old - then you would have a stop signal in each direction - maybe even a couple in each direction - plus ground signals to take you in and out of the sidings. Great fun if you fancy building a little signalbox (I think Tregoss Moor was a ground level structure?).

• RMweb Gold

Would this be a suitable case for fixed distant signals at each end?

Nick

He could stick in a fixed distant if he wished - we don't know what's off-scene (well to be more accurate I've forgotten the original geography scenario) so there might well be a distant signal applying to something else (there could also be a stop signal if the scene was right).

Hi Stu,

During your researches on Sheperds station, did you uncover much information on the Treamble Branch? I live about half a mile up the valley from the original terminus and have explored the remains which include a remnant of a ramped incline leading to a spoil tip and a much overgrown loading bank. There is also a very sinister water-filled quarry close by which I did NOT explore! I believe the area was extensively mined (latterly open-cast) for iron, probably the only commercial iron working in Cornwall. Apart from an old bridge rail built bufferstop which had fallen in the stream, there was nothing to suggest a railway ever stood there. If you know of a track plan or some photos of Treamble terminus I'd be interested to know.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

There are some details & photos in the Middleton Press book 'West Cornwall Mineral Railways'. I can bring my copy in to Tregoweth tomorrow for you to pick up.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Further to Steve's request re Treamble, these are scans from the Middleton Press book "West Cornwall Mineral Railways" - permission for publishing these scans was confirmed in post #16.

The plan of Treamble shows the line from Shepherds approaching from the top right. The actual track plan is not too clear, but there are indications there was a loop.

post-7025-0-42820000-1339746740_thumb.jpg

The entrance to the Treamble complex.

post-7025-0-15485300-1339746763_thumb.jpg

Three views of the main yard, which, as far as I can tell, have all been taken at the very end of the line, along side the area marked 'Treamble Mine'.

post-7025-0-84985000-1339746797_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-33934900-1339746803_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-99080700-1339746808_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting that material Stu, I have never seen any of those images before. From the scant information I have seen I seem to recall a mention of a loop siding at the approach to the yard. Presumably given the length of the branch (3.5 miles) there must have been runround facilities. I think the brick piers which are varying heights that still exist, are the narrow gauge ramp rising parallell with the standard gauge siding and then turning through 90 degree accross the line from the top of the spoil tip. This would correlate with the much overgrown loading platform which lies to the right of the siding looking north. Weather permitting, I will have another poke around this weekend and take some pics, although the vegetation in this area is now reaching Amazonic proportions!

Steve

Archived