Adams O2

georgeT

Hi, l am wanting to up-grade my Adams O2 loco (Mainland version) into a push-pull loco, l have tried searching the web (without success), l was hoping if anyone can help with number's / photo's etc, many thank's..........

I bought a copy of Locomotives illustrated 73 the other day - it covers the three LSWR 0-4-4T classes. It says that 182, 183, 187, 207 and 225 got the air control pull-push system. It doesn't appear to give numbers for the ones with the earlier wire control system. There are photos of 207 in Southern and BR livery.

Well worth tracking down a copy.

Presumably you mean the later SR pneumatic system and not the earlier LSWR cable system? If so, according to Bradley (Locomotives of the LSWR Part 2), 182, 183, 187, 207 & 255 were fitted between Oct 1931 & Sept 1933, but it was removed from 225 in Feb 1949 & 183 in Nov 1956. There is also a good if small photo of 207 fitted with PP gear, on the pump side, as Fig 34.

In a very quick look through a few likely books I found: a photo of 183 (on the non pump side, but with has an large air reservoir) in Bradford Barton's Southern Steam Survey: The Adams Classes; a distant photo of 30183 in Nash's Southern Region Steam Album (basically any book with photos of the Callington or Turnchapel Branches is likely to show a PP fitted O2). 30182 on page 147 of Hawkin's LSWR West Country Lines Then and Now;

Hello Peter, Nice photo's of your loco, at least l have some idea now, l have looked at many photos of M7s etc, and it seem's to be the same type, thank's again, regards............

georgeT

Guest Belgian

There's a nice photo of 30182 in full BR lined black livery with p-p equipment on page 73 of the Wild Swan version of Bradley's seminal work on LSWR Locomotives. 30182 was retired in October 1960, 30183 9/61, 187 8/45, 30207 6/57 and 30225 12/62.

Since Kernow are producing 30225 in p-p condition and 30182 why not buy one of those and leave your present model as it is? There are also photos of them on those links, which seem to indicate that 30225 had lost the p-p equipment by the time it had received a late crest..

JE

Hello JE, l should have said, that all my loco's are kit built 7mm, but following your tip's l have found the answer's to what l was looking for, thank's to you all for your help, regards.............

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Hi George,

There was an extensive two-part survey of the O2 class in a Railway Bylines a little while ago, but I don't have the issues to hand.

I should be able to find the editions within a day or two.

I may have one or two photos of a PP fitted version, I will have a search.

Cheers, Dave.

The Bluebell Museum has some good shots of Southern locos for sale, including 30182, 30207 and 30225.

http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/archive/photos/jjs/301xx.htm

http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/archive/photos/jjs/302xx.htm

There are shots of 30182 from several angles, so there should be enough to make a model of it. No connection with the museum other than buying lots of photos off them in the past.

Anyone doing a push pull O2 be careful of pump size.

There are several sizes of Westinghouse pump to give different capacities.

The pump on O2 Calbourne is a larger size (bigger diameter cylinders) as this supplies air for the train brake.

Pumps on mainland push pull fitted 02's would have a smaller size pump (same height, smaller diameter cylinders) as this only supplies control air; the train brake being vacum. As stated earlier the M7 equipment would be right.

The smaller pump is also used on small locos such as Terriers for the brake pump.

Pete

George. IIRC I had a set of Pull Push fittings with a Meteor O2 I built. They might be able to let you have the castings. I also have somewhere if you would like the instructions for the Pull Push fittings for the M7 from DJB.

Hello Peter, l have built the meteor 02 kit, but all the part's (l think) were for the westinghouse brake gear, not the push-pull gear, l don't think the IOW had PP ?, However l would love a copy of the instruction for the PP fitting's for the M7 if you would be so kind.

Regards, George

Hello Peter, l have built the meteor 02 kit, but all the part's (l think) were for the westinghouse brake gear, not the push-pull gear, l don't think the IOW had PP ?, However l would love a copy of the instruction for the PP fitting's for the M7 if you would be so kind.

Regards, George

I will find them and send them in a PM to you.

That is strange as mine had the pump and cylinder etc for the IOW version. I will also check my spare parts too.

l don't think the IOW had PP ?

W35 (Freshwater) & W36 (Carisbrooke) were PP fitted in 1949 for the Ventnor West Branch... using the PP gear removed from 187 & 225. Bradley does not state when the gear was removed, but as the branch was shut in '52 one doubts if they carried it for long.

Thank you ALL for the help you have given me in my quest to fit my Adams '02' to push-pull working, it has helped me completely,

Peter thank you for the PM l now have a little more knowledge on the matter, l see by the pictures you send that you had brass fitting's for the PP gear in your kit, but l did not have any in mine, never mind.

Regards...........george

Archived