Cogirep

Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

Some readers may remember Cogirep, my small French industrial module built for the 2007 RMweb "6 square foot" challenge. I built a layout using an old baseboard which was 4 ft long, but wider at one end than the other. The layout was served by a small fiddle yard (just a length of track on a bit of old wood) which has now been replaced by a posher, 4-road yard which takes the total footprint beyond that of the original challenge. However, the layout is still less than 7 foot long including the yard.

The layout had a bit more of a career than I expected, with two or three exhibitions each year since since I finished it. However, it was never particularly user-friendly to transport and set up, and the nature of the original design meant that scenic items such as yard lamps were always very likely to get bent and damaged in transit.

In 2010 the layout did two shows and then went up into my attic. However, with two outings likely in 2012, I recently brought it down from the attic and decided to see what I could do to make it more transportable. Over the last week I have removed the heavy chipboard sides which formed the original layout enclosure, and replaced them with lighter and taller sides from 6mm MDF. These make the layout bulkier, but importantly it now allows for the front proscenium arch to be fitted in place permanently, meaning there are fewer bits to transport and the scenic items are better protected. However, even with the extra height, the entire thing is noticeably lighter. It also still squeezes on the back seat of my car.

The original layout concept was for a simple diorama set somewhere on the outskirts of Paris. In this scheme, there was no run-round facility.

post-6720-0-92802000-1337376745.jpg

As construction got underway, I added an additional pair of points and a run-round loop.

post-6720-0-50086400-1337376766.jpg

post-6720-0-86913900-1337376780.jpg

The final track and scenic layout was roughly this:

post-6720-0-18888500-1337375946_thumb.jpg

The layout has had three frontages since I built it - each of which is a bit more widescreen than the last, allowing more of the module to be viewed. Some of these shots simply weren't possible before, so for me it's a bit like getting a new layout, or at least a larger one. I have also continued to add and tweak some of the details with each outing so there is quite a bit more to it than when it was first exhibited. I took a few new photos tonight, without the benefit of the layout's integral lighting (need a new fluorescent tube - just discovered that the spare I've been diligently taking with me to exhibitions for the last six years is the wrong fitting!). At the moment I've only taken this 66000 diesel out of its box; normally it would be shoving some wagons around.

post-6720-0-41078900-1337376000.jpg

post-6720-0-09854400-1337376019.jpg

post-6720-0-58950600-1337376031.jpg

post-6720-0-86572300-1337376045.jpg

For a small layout, Cogirep has provided a suprising amount of enjoyment and I continue to find things to alter/improve - perhaps more so than if it was a rural scene, I suspect. It's in the nature of factories that they are always ripping things down, adding things etc, so it seems to make sense to keep doing this with the module, at least until it gets too cramped and overloaded with detail. I am currently working on a major overhaul of the left hand side of the layout.

I'll be showing Cogirep at the StowRail exhibition in Stow on the Wold this coming sunday - see link in exhibitions. Say hello if you come along, and I'll be happy to let anyone have a shunt.

Cheers!

• RMweb Gold

Good to see this back on view (as the original thread is in the archive & invisible at present). It was one of my favourites amongst the "6 sq ft Challenge" layouts - certainly a different take on the Continental theme which set it apart from others in my mind (I was going to say "breath of fresh air" but probably doesn't apply to the factory setting!) ;) Having seen it for real at one of the Taunton RMweb meetings, it surprised me how small the layout is - there's a great deal going on without appearing over crowed. I'm glad it's got a further lease of life. :)

• RMweb Gold

Alas after Knowl Hill today and Railex next weekend plus the demands of the garden (and particularly the 'garden manager') I simply can't get to Stow to see Cogirep again - much that i would like to as it's a great little layout and in the company of some others I like. So hope you have a good show and i'm sure those who get there will like the layout as much as I did.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all! I've just completed some last minute tests and then loaded the layout into the car ready for tomorrow's very early start.

There is a strong likelihood that Cogirep will be at this year's Cardiff show, in October, for anyone coming along to that. In terms of the scenery I have not achieved as much this week as I would have liked, but changing and painting the surround turned out to be a big job (and it's still not had a varnish coat - I dislike flat matt finishes but ran out of time). On the plus side I am half way through building a new industrial building which will straddle the entrance tracks on the left hand side, and that should be in place by the next time Cogirep goes out. Also the new surround allows for the top of the layout to be covered, which should allow for some proper night-time operation - in the past, exhibition hall lighting has always leaked in and killed the night effect.

Archived