East Midlands 80s Blues

One of the more neglected areas of our railway system is the East Midlands. Maybe these photos from the 1980s will bring back some memories or give some modelling ideas.

To start off with, perhaps the most distinctive feature in the area, Ratcliffe on Soar Power Station. For many, whether travelling by rail or along the M1, when this cathedral of power is seen one feels almost home.

Here a northbound 8-car HST crosses the River Trent, with the eight cooling towers of Ratcliffe looming in the background. Standing inside one of these cooling towers is quite a surreal experience, with a pervading smell of fish.

post-6880-0-06357400-1338769900.jpg

Principally three pre-grouping companies served the region; the Midland, Great Northern and Great Central. The London & North Western and North Staffordshire also having a presence.

The ECML has always been a major through route, carving its way through Lincolnshire, and by the 1980s the much-loved Deltics were on borrowed time. Still an everyday sight, so no hoards of enthusiasts around the loco as 55008 waits time at Grantham with a northbound train. The Green Howards retained its nameplate crest and the domino-style headcode box to the end. The loco is in typical condition for the Deltics in their last years.

post-6880-0-64240000-1338804923.jpg

There was more to the Great Central than just the mainline up to Marylebone. It was also an east to west railway and here we are at its eastern extremity, Cleethorpes.

Just another Tinsley Cl.31, in this case 31308, waiting to return home with day trippers in a rake of Mk1s. Rather a nice collection of LNER bracket signals, with an ex-GC signalbox controlling then all.

Note the gubbins between the tracks; hoses etc and general detritus that isn't often modelled.

post-6880-0-80037700-1338811903.jpg

Though technically just outside the East Midlands (by about three quarters of a mile) stands Clay Mills Junction; a typical Midland signalbox. It opened in September 1899, replacing an earlier box controlling the northern limit of the complex of lines at Burton where the goods lines converged into the double track Birmingham - Derby line, plus a level crossing leading to an adjacent waterworks.

In June 1969, with multi-aspect signalling introduced in the area, it was downgraded to a ground frame controlling the crossing. It was finally taken out of use in September 1987.

Here is the view, with permission of the signalman, looking north east towards Derby.

post-6880-0-07780800-1338842820.jpg

The first station out of Derby on the London line was (and still is) Spondon.

Here the Courtaulds diesel shunter moves an acetic acid tank and a bogie bolster wagon, being used as a runner, from the works to the exchange sidings. On the left, in the background, can be seen an ex-MR lower quadrant signal.

post-6880-0-52187400-1338923732_thumb.jpg

...Here the Courtaulds diesel shunter moves an acetic acid tank

...ex-MR lower quadrant signal.

I suspect that might be a chlorine tank rather than acetic acid - the latter came in block trains and didn't have that livery, but were stainless steel (at least in appearance). Distinct smell of vinegar too. The chlorine tended to move in smaller quantities, and also came in those short ancient-looking bogie tanks (Murgatroyd's? / BP Chemicals)

Did you ever get a good shot of the lower-quadrant signal round the back of Leicester station?

Semaphore signalling remained in use around Leicester (London Road) station until the end of June 1986, when the first stage of power signalling was commissioned.

Here is the view northwards; the signalbox discernible further down the line being Bell Lane.

post-6880-0-77181700-1338930684.jpg

Hi Peter,

Nice photos, I really like the picture at Spondon, I lived just up from the station (on Derby Rd) for about 5 years until I moved north but by then, the Celanese tracks were all rusty and out of use but I still enjoyed going down to the station for a bit of spotting every now and again!

Do you have any more Spondon pics by any chance, please?

Cheers,

John E.

Here you go John.

The first one shows a pair of Cl.20s propelling MGR hoppers into the sidings for the power plant serving Courtaulds Acetate. A Cl.47 passes with a rake of (largely) non-a/c Mk2s. Note that the track and signalling has been rationalised since the shot above.

The second picture shows the original 3-car Sprinter unit, 150001, calling at the station.

post-6880-0-49489400-1339097067.jpg

post-6880-0-89215300-1339097089.jpg

Stenson Junction has always been a key location in the region. Here in December 1982 a westbound "Peak" catches a brief gap in the wintery sun. The pair of tracks on the right lead to Willington Power Station.

At one time there were plans to provide an additional down line, hence the wide gap between the lines in the middle of the picture. However this was never proceeded with so the double track between Stenson and North Staffs junctions remained something of a bottle neck.

post-6880-0-40414500-1339269819.jpg

Good morning all,

Although I spent my formative years in the West Midlands, I did make a few forays to the east so find this thread very nostalgic! The main attraction for me was the amount of mechanical signalling still in use and in particular the 'Leicester Gap'. Just look at Western Sunset's shot of Leicester North for interest and not a train in sight.

Toton was always a draw of course, mainly to see the '1-10 ers' (Class 44) but lines of locos on shed are not, in my humble opinion particularly photogenic.

Hence why I always love visiting Quorn on the GCR - the jangle of bells, the silhouetted movement of the Bobby in the box followed by the hiss of signal wires always does it for me - the only thing missing is that you generally know what is heading the train, but this is a very small price to play to take you back 35 years!

Cheers, Andy

post-3043-0-22648300-1339318282_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-08213400-1339318304_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-77616200-1339318333_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-27568200-1339318355_thumb.jpg

Cl.58s didn't just work coal trains in the East Midlands. Occasionally one popped-up on the afternoon Birmingham Lawley Street to Nottingham Freightliner, as we see here as it passes Swarkestone on the freight only route between Stenson and Sheet Stores junctions.

post-6880-0-82793800-1339343062.jpg

A feature of operation during the summer months were the use of Cl.20s on trains from Burton and Derby, Leicester and Nottingham, to Skegness. Using these freight locos echoed the use of 4Fs on trains to the seaside in steam days, particularly over the S&DJt and M&GN.

Here a pair accelerate through Spondon with the invariable rake of Mk1 stock.

post-6880-0-99423400-1339742096.jpg

The area around Trent Junction is quite a magical place. The broad silver River Trent, the rivers Derwent, Erewash and Soar joining it, plus canals - but few roads. And of course lots of railways going in all directions.

Here at Sheet Stores Junction a Cl.150 passes a HST. Note the simple post and wire fencing; quite different from the heavy palisade style widely used today.

post-6880-0-79890400-1339797144.jpg

A very dull and murky day at Toton is brightened-up by an almost new Cl.58 heading south with a loaded MGR train. It is about to climb to the High Level Goods lines and is probably bound for Ratcliffe Power Station.

The Wagon Repair Shops are behind the loco, whilst in the West Yard in the background can be glimpsed a Cl.31 and a pair of Cl.20s.

I can still remember the excitement of seeing these new Cl.58s with their colourful red and grey livery. Quite a change from the overall blue on all the other locos then in the area.

post-6880-0-12923300-1339881896.jpg

Morning all,

Interested to see Peter's picture above and compare with below taken in 2005. My main point of interest in both images is the 'bank' in the background where a couple of school mates and myself spent numerous hours in the early '70's as we found Toton very difficult to bunk. A pair of binoculars received for a 13th birthday present helped us enormously!

Also in my memory was the considerable effort needed to get to Toton from Brum which involved a bus from Derby to Stapleford and Sandiacre if I remember correctly - no doubt someone will remind me of the number!

Andy

post-3043-0-87019800-1339922355_thumb.jpg

I suspect that might be a chlorine tank rather than acetic acid - the latter came in block trains and didn't have that livery, but were stainless steel (at least in appearance). Distinct smell of vinegar too. The chlorine tended to move in smaller quantities, and also came in those short ancient-looking bogie tanks (Murgatroyd's? / BP Chemicals)

Did you ever get a good shot of the lower-quadrant signal round the back of Leicester station?

I wouldn't describe mine as a 'good' shot because the day was cold and cloudy. But here it is anyway.

post-4474-0-05498200-1339959108_thumb.jpg

That lower quadrant again, I can manage two pics, two years apart, but both with a Neptune track recording thing, and one with three 76s heading for Berry's scrapyard. Neither particularly close-up on the signal, but probably worth a post here.

In 1983:

post-6971-0-28806800-1339962524.jpg

In 1985:

post-6971-0-28952100-1339962520.jpg

Archived