Modern dual-road shed with one track running through?

MattWallace

Hi all,

On my layout (below) I have a dual-road shed however because of where it is on the layout I can't fit in a double length building (the original plan).

7360978522_0353d82117.jpg

My thoughts are now to have one of the roads (closest to the backscene) terminate in the shed and the other road run through and out the other side, however I'm not sure how accurate that would be to real life.

I'm sure I've seen a few sheds on the GWR (Reading West and Old Oak Common spring to mind for some reason!) where the track runs through, however I'm not sure on the purpose of this or whether it's just a "left over" from the previous eras.

Any light anyone can "shed"[0] on this would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

[0] OK, I'll get my coat.... :P

Not sure if I can be of any help on "modern" but it was to be seen quite a bit on "old" sheds. Sometimes planned and sometimes unplanned when a loco failed to stop and took out a rear wall. I guess in diesel depots (those built/rebuilt in the 70's or later) it would be less common as they became more security conscious and more into working with home comforts. A through shed could be a drafty place to work - though in steam days the work was more physical and the staff may well have appreciated the through breeze.

As far as the layout is concerned I probably would have opted for covering the two nearer tracks and making the furthest the storage road. I am also uncertain why "private sidings" should be effectively isolated by the main and the shed roads (ie no road access). Of course if the "history" is that these were originally part of the loco facilities then the track to the shed would probably have come from that to the private sidings not the "loading area".

But as always it is your layout.

• RMweb Gold

Western Region loco servicing sheds varied - Reading was dead end (mainly because it was put alongside the existing dmu maintenance depot) but I think all the others were through sheds, i.e. Old Oak, Bath Road, Landore, Canton, and Laira. Everywhere else was just an adaptation of an existing structure or layout and mostly weren't intended for locos anyway. Through sheds work best for servicing - especially at busy depots.

Not sure if I can be of any help on "modern" but it was to be seen quite a bit on "old" sheds. Sometimes planned and sometimes unplanned when a loco failed to stop and took out a rear wall. I guess in diesel depots (those built/rebuilt in the 70's or later) it would be less common as they became more security conscious and more into working with home comforts. A through shed could be a drafty place to work - though in steam days the work was more physical and the staff may well have appreciated the through breeze.

As far as the layout is concerned I probably would have opted for covering the two nearer tracks and making the furthest the storage road. I am also uncertain why "private sidings" should be effectively isolated by the main and the shed roads (ie no road access). Of course if the "history" is that these were originally part of the loco facilities then the track to the shed would probably have come from that to the private sidings not the "loading area".

But as always it is your layout.

Thanks Kenton, there's a fair bit in there for me to think about!

I guess as far as the "private sidings" are concerned, I was concentrating more in filling the space and having an excuse for a nuclear flask. I'm happy with them where they are at the moment, although as I'm finding out at the moment(!) that may well change once I actually see it laid out on the board.

Thanks for the suggestion about moving the shed forwards, my main concern with doing that is you wouldn't be able to see anything that is stored there, but then again I guess this is a layout, not a diorama so that also may mot be an issue.

Thanks again,

M.

Western Region loco servicing sheds varied - Reading was dead end (mainly because it was put alongside the existing dmu maintenance depot) but I think all the others were through sheds, i.e. Old Oak, Bath Road, Landore, Canton, and Laira. Everywhere else was just an adaptation of an existing structure or layout and mostly weren't intended for locos anyway. Through sheds work best for servicing - especially at busy depots.

Thanks, that's good to know even if I do decide to move the shed forward onto the front two tracks. :)

• 2 months later...

Western Region loco servicing sheds varied - Reading was dead end (mainly because it was put alongside the existing dmu maintenance depot) but I think all the others were through sheds, i.e. Old Oak, Bath Road, Landore, Canton, and Laira.

At Bath Road the 3-track-shed on the left was a through shed, but the actual 6-road-depot on the left wasn't.

Depends what you mean by 'shed' . The daily servicing sheds tended to be through sheds - for refuelling/ lub. Eg old oak, Newton abbot, Bristol .

I guess they were built this way for practicality eg old oak , refuel , run through to turntable and stable.

The pure heavy maintenance side eg old oak common factory, Swansea were dead end sheds as the locos were in there for some time.

Archived