A Really Useful Layout - Caught out by flashing!

Noch slates have now been added to the goods shed, partly so I could practice before tackling the more complex main roof. Ridge tiles still to be added if I can think of a good way to reproduce them.

post-3717-0-55711000-1342640611_thumb.jpg

I am quite chuffed with how this is turning out :)

post-3717-0-12388400-1342640717_thumb.jpg

Main roof panels in place. For these I made paper templates first, sellotaped them to the roofing sheet, and cut around the outline. Seems to have worked:

post-3717-0-30903500-1342731793_thumb.jpg

Revised flashing between goods shed and main building. Previously I had used kitchen foil but it was a bit flimsy and difficult to work with. This time I used the base of a take-away container which was of a thicker grade of aluminium. Much easier to fold and handle:

post-3717-0-21062400-1342731916_thumb.jpg

I mentioned trying to work out how to reproduce the ridge tiles. I am wondering if the thicker aluminium might work folded over a former.

I noticed that in spite of taking great care when epoxying the various units together, that some had managed to squeeze out at the join between the goods shed and main building. Typically it was on the side that would be visible and due to the shine of the glue, fairly obvious from certain angles. I tried thinkinh of various schemes to either paint over it or remove it, but did not feel confident I could do it neatly. In a flash of inspiration I simply applied mat varnish over it covering the shine. This has made a big difference. Unfortunately I only have an "after" image which is pretty pointless really.

post-3717-0-26902800-1342861989_thumb.jpg

Revised flashing has been applied around the chimney. Far from a neat job and I have resorted to using some filler to plug gaps which really should not be there. Again the thicker aluminium has been used.

post-3717-0-72117400-1342862065_thumb.jpg

Final roof tile panels in place.

Ridge tiles added using Evergreen 1.5mm Half Round styrene. Although listed as half round it is actually recessed along the flat giving a half tube profile instead, but ideal for my purpose. Painted in Vallejo 70846 Mahogany Brown then stuck on with 5 minute epoxy when dry. Flashing tidied up.

post-3717-0-57715700-1342898988_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-11956600-1342899005_thumb.jpg

Again in spite of taking care some glue marks do show, however I now have solution for that. Once treated and the ridge tiles dry brushed everything should blend in together (hopefully).

post-3717-0-05237600-1342899086_thumb.jpg

I will really have to drill out that chimney!

Thanks for the comments. That is at least two people following my efforts here ;-) The topic itself has a number of categories that turn off visitors: N Gauge, Swiss, Faller

What is interesting is trying to do a Google search of "improving faller" or similar and finding very little. Surely I cannot be the first?

I will probably switch back to laying track next and put the building on hold for the time being. Still have the ramps to finish and rainwater downpipes to add, however it has been enjoyable to date.

The topic itself has a number of categories that turn off visitors: N Gauge, Swiss, Faller

They are not my interests either but I like what you are doing! It doesn't help that Swiss buildings really do often look like they are off a chocolate box (sometimes they are!), which can't make them easy to model convincingly. As you've shown, not leaving them as pre-coloured plastic is key ... :)

Guest Jim Read

Hello Mike,

Make me No3 I like what you've done to that kit side by side they look like a kit or even 'out of a box' and a Model.

I'm sure there are lots of people following this thread with great interest and who will benefit from your posts.

Jim

Visitors have been and gone, so back to normality (or as close as my life ever gets).

Thought I would work on the platform for the goods shed. In the kit this is intended to be a wooden planked affair and as can be seen from the photo was warped somewhat:

post-3717-0-58080700-1343567066_thumb.jpg

The vision I had was for the platform to be stone built with a concrete top. With this in mind I fashioned new sides from Slater's 7mm brick which appeared to be a good match to the stonework in the kit:

post-3717-0-13303900-1343567148_thumb.jpg

The wooden planking was filled with Squadron putty and the stonework painted as for the main building. The concrete top was painted in Vellejo 884 Stone Grey:

post-3717-0-64789400-1343567276_thumb.jpg

Now looking at real concrete it does not stay clean for long and as painted it did look too clean. To try and tone it down and weather it I stippled, using a virtually dry brush, diluted Vallejo 70994 Dark Grey. Not bad:

post-3717-0-93589700-1343567409_thumb.jpg

Glued the platform to the main shed by placing in position, upturning it, and spreading 5 minute epoxy along the join, then placing the building back on a flat surface and pressing down until the glue dried. At least that is what I intended! In reality I put too much glue on and I had to place a piece of cling film between the model and the flat surface to stop it being glued permently to the worktop. Oops. In addition surplus glue creeped through the gap and formed a miniscus between the wall and the platform. Had to use the Matt varnish dodge to hide the glue:

post-3717-0-20218800-1343567610_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-20503600-1343567626_thumb.jpg

Downpipes added. Boy these were fun! Painted them black then fixed the goods shed ones with 5 min epoxy. Had to fret out the hole in the platform to allow them to align correctly. The main building ones were fixed with superglue applied with a pin, however this did not seem to be very strong, so repeated the exercise with 5 min epoxy, again applied with a pin. Coat of Matt varnish hides the glue:

post-3717-0-90882500-1343755817_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-47444700-1343755834_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I will be honest and say that I have not been in the mood to take the layout forward. It is currently safely boxed in the garage.

I have been considering a slight diversion. Rather than continue with the current baseboard, I thought it would be advantageous to practice ballasting and other ideas on something simpler. With that in mind I have bought another wrapping paper sized Really Useful Box and intend to build a new section to the left of the current board. This would give me all the practice I need, with minimum risk, and short term I would have a scenic board that I could photograph models against. Might take it beyond a micro format though.

I have so many ideas going through my brain it will give me a chance to find out which ones (if any) work.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments. That is at least two people following my efforts here ;-) The topic itself has a number of categories that turn off visitors: N Gauge, Swiss, Faller

Mike,

You've had 3595 views of this topic so you must be doing something right! Please carry on as I and many others are finding it to be of considerable interest.

David

• 1 year later...

Archived