MS&L Signalboxes

Alan76

This may have cropped up before elsewhere on RMWeb and, if so, apologies. I'm trying to find a drawing of the early type of MS&L Railway signalbox - the square type with vertical boarding and a hipped roof with a single finial at the apex. Small windows with only vertical glazing bars. Many had a storm porch at the top of the staircase. The vertical boarding and glazing bars gave them a rather austere look. Some had an additional row of windows, below the main ones, along the front of the box. I have some pictures (eg Blackmoor Crossing on the Woodhead Line, Summer Lane on the Penistone-Barnsley line) but would like to find a drawing with a view to either building one from scratch or getting a kit etched.

Many thanks.

Alan

Thanks, but this isn't the one. This box is a sort of MkII version with gable ends. The one I'm interested in is the first type of MS&L box, square with a hipped roof and windows which only had vertical glazing bars. The box in the picture retains the vertical boarding which was abandoned later which it morphed into what's sometimes described as the standard Great Central box as drawn in Vol 3 of Dow's Great Central. The original MS&L design used to be widespread so I'm surprised there isn't more info about it out there. I have some pictures but not sure I could produce a drawing from them. Does anyone know of an example still in use? Likely to be on South Humberside, I would think.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I know the type of box you mean exactly. Never seen a published drawing anywhere, so I think the only way forward is to prepare one from photos. You might not get the dimensions 100% right but I doubt anyone will be able to prove you wrong as long as it looks right. There may just be an original drawing out there in someone's collection, but if so it's a rare bird. You could try asking the GCRS, but my current understanding is that their entire archive is in store and not accessible - they are trying to find a suitable 'home' for it and that is proving difficult because of the various factors involved.

Thanks Poggy... that's more or less the conclusion I'm coming to - though I have got an enquiry in with the chum from Network Rail, so you never know....

Brian, I think Worksop West was demolished a while ago. East is still there but is the gabled-ended variety. Isn't it always the way?

Alan

• 3 months later...

As a keen railway modeller/GCR enthusiast I have built up a small archive of photos and drawings of GCR material.

I don't know if this helps in issue of RM January 2008 showing how to build an 1880-90's MS&LR Parkgate box on the Rotherham road layout built by Ian Clarke in 4mm also July 2000 for the layout description.

a starting point...

all the best.

Thanks chaps. It's a while since I checked the site and, since I last did I came across someone who had measured up Blackmoor Crossing box when he went to (legitimately) remove the nameboard after closure. He's kindly produced a drawing. So now all I have to do is build it!

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I have dug up some old photos of Blackmoor Crossing, which may or may not be of interest. The copyright is mine but anyone on here is welcome to copy for personal use, as opposed to publication. They were taken circa 1982 during a pleasant walk in the Penistone area. My old greyhound, Bluey started a hare somewhere along the way and was most disappointed that I wouldn't let him off the lead!

post-7150-0-91293000-1353600306_thumb.jpgpost-7150-0-15288200-1353600326_thumb.jpgpost-7150-0-59213700-1353600344_thumb.jpgpost-7150-0-97233900-1353600361_thumb.jpgpost-7150-0-77340500-1353600381_thumb.jpg

That's really helpful Poggy, many thanks. This is just as I remember it, a real survivor even back in the 1970s. There were several variations around the basic design. Some had the additional lower windows in the front, as shown here, others did not - just planking instead. And most boxes had the stairs running down the side of the box, not outwards. Still haven't got round to starting the build! But I have sourced some pictures of Westwood station on the ex-GC Barnsley-Sheffield line which the next project will be based around. Steam this time, not electric.

Alan

Were I to model this box it would of course be in its GC glory; but I can't but think that getting the weathering right to produce something like the finish showed on the photos would be quite an achievement. The GC Barnsley-Sheffield line is probably one of the most interesting bits of the old company (in my view far more interesting than anything south of Annesley, but that's me) but sadly photos of it do not appear every day. I bought a couple off Fotopic, or whatever it was called, and I think there may be the odd one or two in the GCRS collection, if it ever becomes available for access again.

Were I to model this box it would of course be in its GC glory; but I can't but think that getting the weathering right to produce something like the finish showed on the photos would be quite an achievement. The GC Barnsley-Sheffield line is probably one of the most interesting bits of the old company (in my view far more interesting than anything south of Annesley, but that's me) but sadly photos of it do not appear every day. I bought a couple off Fotopic, or whatever it was called, and I think there may be the odd one or two in the GCRS collection, if it ever becomes available for access again.

You're right about the lack of pictures - like looking for hens' teeth. So I'd be interested to know which locations your pictures are from and what period (ie Victorian, 1930's, 50s...). I'm currently trying to find images of Westwood station and any pictures of goods trains between Dovecliffe and Chapeltown....

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I notice that one particular 'box has not appeared, either as a pic or even mentioned in a text - Hadfield West, situated on the western end of the up platform.

gresley

East and West were replaced by the BR one in 1964, well before my time !

Another forum implies "An Illustrated History of the Woodhead Route" has more on West box.

East and West were replaced by the BR one in 1964, well before my time !

Another forum implies "An Illustrated History of the Woodhead Route" has more on West box.

Whilst there may be a passing mention in the text (I have only quickly perused), there are certainly no pictures of Hadfield West Box.

gresley

Archived