RS Tower & Modules - Exeter MRS - 23/24 June 2012

bxmoore

Here's a snap of us setting up for this year's extravaganza - the main RS Tower layout, plus 150' of dispatcher-controlled branch line modules, in a footprint of 40x42'. The biggest set-up of this nature ever attempted in the UK.

Thanks to the RS Tower boys for organising it all, and letting us come along to add to the layout - a great time was had today, with more fun to follow tomorrow.

Brian

post-14127-0-44092800-1340482983_thumb.jpg

Some more snaps from the RS Tower extravaganza.

1. Hopper being loaded at Golden

2. Scrap Merchant at Fort Ross

3&4. Scrap Merchant at Alpha

5. Gillsburgh Turntable

With about 180' of track, the concept of running prototypically has never been so close. As an Engineer and Conductor team, we picked up our printed orders and switch list from the Dispatcher, and then the hostler set up our power on the point of the train for us to take over at Dale Yard. After checking the list against the car numbers and that all was well, we powered up to the end of Dale Yard, and told the DS that we sought a path past RS Tower, and onto one of the two branch lines. As well as doing some switching on the way, we also had to take some cars to the end of the line and back again for some moves, for the trailing switches. At Golden we terminated, the switcher took over, and gave us some additional cars for interim destinations too, but mostly for Dale Yard on the return journey. Following our departure, the two-person switcher crew then had its own printed instructions as to where to spot the cars at Golden and Jonesville,

The cars we returned with were eventually fed from Dale Yard with a transfer job that went through RS Tower and either onto RS Yard or staging. The whole thing was run like a symphony, and we would see cars we had picked up on the branch and dropped off at Dale Yard eventually pass on big trains heading east or west on the main line. In total we must have undertaken eight runs up and back over the two days, which took in total, several hours to complete.

Excellent fun.

Brianpost-14127-0-36257300-1340569594_thumb.jpgpost-14127-0-29191000-1340569629_thumb.jpgpost-14127-0-11029400-1340569674_thumb.jpgpost-14127-0-39580200-1340569703_thumb.jpgpost-14127-0-65277700-1340569719_thumb.jpg

Guys, I think what you have done is outstanding and is a major step in the right direction for HO US modelling in the UK. I am particularily impressed by the operations approach you use and the high standard and consistency of the modelling which has been achieved across your modules. I have been to several NMRA meets where modular setups have been put together in both HO and N gauge, which are enjoyed by their participants, but neither of these formats has ever 'floated my boat' (please note that no criticism is intended to anyone who participates in these meets - each to their own). I have long admired from a distance the FREEMO set ups in the US and Europe, it now looks like this format is established in the UK. Whist at TVNAM earlier this month I quietly spent an hour or so studying the Alpha and Dale modules. I very quickly decided that I will adopt the standards you work to and build an 8' module for my next project (I first though want to finish my current project). For me it is the logical way to go to build a personal layout with the potential for being exhibited and expanded as time and finances permit (and perhaps a possible participation in a modular meet sometime in the future? :-)). Thankyou for sharing the YouTube clip, are there any other pictures of the modules which participated?

Cheers

Chris M

Thanks Chris, it does indeed seem to be catching on, we've got a decent bunch of guys down here in the South West between our crew and Western Union, so we knew we could get this going, make it work and be able to start up running it 'our way', but it's really nice to see the interest and enthusiasm for it being picked up beyond that and it's amazing how quickly it's being taken up - none of the modules from the Western Union group (Golden, Fort Ross, Jonesville) are a year old yet for example! - There's quite a few modules either planned or under construction now in various other parts of the country by various groups and individuals. Look forward to seeing what you have planned! :)

Ref the operations, I think that doing that kind of thing just fits snugly with the kind of layouts you can build with Freemo, interestingly if you look at the European guys who are very established at this kind of thing they also 'operate', almost a symbiotic thing!

Ref photo's - some of mine and some more of Brian's here: http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/ModelRailroading-1/Exeter-2012-RS-Tower-and - if anyone else shot any pics of the setup at Exeter i'd love to add them to that collection, PM me and i'll give you an upload link.

Interestingly most of the photo's I shot were of modules, whilst most of the video was on the main layout! This is the only other vid I have shot on the modules, a fairly short one of a local for Golden departing Dale and headed past Gillsburgh:

Mike from the Western Union was shooting 'cab video' early on the Sunday morning however, so I think a cab ride version will appear at some point! :)

Guys, I think what you have done is outstanding and is a major step in the right direction for HO US modelling in the UK. I am particularily impressed by the operations approach you use and the high standard and consistency of the modelling which has been achieved across your modules. I have been to several NMRA meets where modular setups have been put together in both HO and N gauge, which are enjoyed by their participants, but neither of these formats has ever 'floated my boat' (please note that no criticism is intended to anyone who participates in these meets - each to their own). I have long admired from a distance the FREEMO set ups in the US and Europe, it now looks like this format is established in the UK. Whist at TVNAM earlier this month I quietly spent an hour or so studying the Alpha and Dale modules. I very quickly decided that I will adopt the standards you work to and build an 8' module for my next project (I first though want to finish my current project). For me it is the logical way to go to build a personal layout with the potential for being exhibited and expanded as time and finances permit (and perhaps a possible participation in a modular meet sometime in the future? :-)). Thankyou for sharing the YouTube clip, are there any other pictures of the modules which participated?

Cheers

Chris M

Another point that impressed me at TVNAM over previous North American setups is visually, all of the modules seemed to work together (except one that had a darker fascia and different ballast [embaressed smiley] ), so the impression was you were looking at a large layout instead of a group of individual modeller's efforts. It's also possible to combine the UK FREEMO standars into your own exhibition layout and add a backscene and lighting if necessary. The wiring seems to be foolproof, full credit to the team at TVNAM for making this happen but I've seen too many modular layouts that never seem to run properly until halfway through the Sunday at a show because not everyone seems to be able to stick to the same standards.

I'm currently planning an extension to my own module (either as a separate 3' board or by extending the current one), and am thinking the next main project may just be the Iowa Traction inspired interchange that could also be operated as a separate layout.

I'm currently planning an extension to my own module (either as a separate 3' board or by extending the current one), and am thinking the next main project may just be the Iowa Traction inspired interchange that could also be operated as a separate layout.

If I could type in a Father Ted Irish accent I'd be typing "Ahh go on, Ahh go on, Ahh go on". You know it makes sense!

Another point that impressed me at TVNAM over previous North American setups is visually, all of the modules seemed to work together (except one that had a darker fascia and different ballast [embaressed smiley] ), so the impression was you were looking at a large layout instead of a group of individual modeller's efforts. It's also possible to combine the UK FREEMO standars into your own exhibition layout and add a backscene and lighting if necessary. The wiring seems to be foolproof, full credit to the team at TVNAM for making this happen but I've seen too many modular layouts that never seem to run properly until halfway through the Sunday at a show because not everyone seems to be able to stick to the same standards.

You have hit the nail on the head, they naturally blend very well together. Was very impressed with your module btw, I look forward to seeing the extension.

Cheers

Chris M

Thanks Chris, it does indeed seem to be catching on, we've got a decent bunch of guys down here in the South West between our crew and Western Union, so we knew we could get this going, make it work and be able to start up running it 'our way', but it's really nice to see the interest and enthusiasm for it being picked up beyond that and it's amazing how quickly it's being taken up - none of the modules from the Western Union group (Golden, Fort Ross, Jonesville) are a year old yet for example! - There's quite a few modules either planned or under construction now in various other parts of the country by various groups and individuals. Look forward to seeing what you have planned! :)

Ref the operations, I think that doing that kind of thing just fits snugly with the kind of layouts you can build with Freemo, interestingly if you look at the European guys who are very established at this kind of thing they also 'operate', almost a symbiotic thing!

Ref photo's - some of mine and some more of Brian's here: http://ukrailwaypics...12-RS-Tower-and - if anyone else shot any pics of the setup at Exeter i'd love to add them to that collection, PM me and i'll give you an upload link.

Interestingly most of the photo's I shot were of modules, whilst most of the video was on the main layout! This is the only other vid I have shot on the modules, a fairly short one of a local for Golden departing Dale and headed past Gillsburgh:

http://youtu.be/QxchePQdkIA

Mike from the Western Union was shooting 'cab video' early on the Sunday morning however, so I think a cab ride version will appear at some point! :)

Thanks for the link to the photos Martyn. My plan for a module would be to do something Mid West and rural in nature, I've got a thing going atm about GPs pulling short rakes of covered grain hoppers! Todays announcement by Tangent of a new run of PS-2CD 4740 covered hoppers does not help (see http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2801287). Perhaps add in something like a small building supplies merchant, a team track and perhaps a corrugated shed or two to spot boxcars and a plan starts to come together.Late '80s or early 90's SOO / CP or BN. Minnesota or Dakota appeals. However I have to finish the current BN shelf layout first!

Cheers

Chris

Todays announcement by Tangent of a new run of PS-2CD 4740 covered hoppers does not help

Haha, I was all set to resist until I saw the CN/IC repaint ones they are doing, which is a scheme I really like - my only hope now is to resist long enough that they sell out first - and they don't even look quite so expensive against £55 centerbeams from Exactrail...! ;)

Maybe we should add the facia paint colour into the module spec, similar to the existing notes re scenic treatment and ballast?

I'll see if I can find out what it is we used and will put that up...

Haha, I was all set to resist until I saw the CN/IC repaint ones they are doing, which is a scheme I really like - my only hope now is to resist long enough that they sell out first - and they don't even look quite so expensive against £55 centerbeams from Exactrail...! ;)

I'll see if I can find out what it is we used and will put that up...

The green paint we have used on are RS Tower & our Modules is Dulux colour Mix, HIGHLAND FALLS 1 (satin wood)

Neil

The green paint we have used on are RS Tower & our Modules is Dulux colour Mix, HIGHLAND FALLS 1 (satin wood)

Neil

This may be controversial but having viewed the videos again, I'm left wondering if the black on Andy's module doesn't look better than the green?

It's a couple of coats of "Hookers Green" artists acrylic, I was told to go for a Southern Green, which is about the colour the modules look in the TVNAM videos....

Do not adjust your set....!

It's a couple of coats of "Hookers Green" artists acrylic, I was told to go for a Southern Green, which is about the colour the modules look in the TVNAM videos....

Do not adjust your set....!

Which Southern? ;-)

Help please - in the last 3 or 4 days I have seen a video taken with a micro camera shaped like a lighter, and I'm sure it was taken on the RSTower layout - I'm bu99ered if I can find it again - can somebody point me to it please - I'm interested in the car that was made to hold the camera, and the camera steering mechanism. It is driving me gently daft!

Help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jack

Archived