Decoder Pro 3 help - and now a successful Touchcab user.

Or, you could use a wireless router in the attic to connect to the Broadband Hub (wirelessly) and plug the 23151 interface into that.

This does all assume that your iPhone (and wireless router) in the attic can see a wireless signal from your broadband hub so i'd check that the iPhone can 'see' the hub from the attic before spending any money.

• RMweb Premium

Or, you could use a wireless router in the attic to connect to the Broadband Hub (wirelessly) and plug the 23151 interface into that.

This does all assume that your iPhone (and wireless router) in the attic can see a wireless signal from your broadband hub so i'd check that the iPhone can 'see' the hub from the attic before spending any money.

Hi

If you were to put a router in the loft there is no need for it to see the broadband one down stairs. All the router is for is to allow the iPhone to talk wirelessly to the Lenz interface you don't actually need internet access.

Good point about the range of the WiFi downstairs. I actually have two routers in the house linked via a pair of Powerline adaptors to provide decent wireless coverage. The Lenz interface is plugged into a third powerline in the garage.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

You do, an Ethernet cable between the interface and your router. Considering that they are on different floors then I would suggest powerline adaptors rather than a very long cable.

I use these but others are available

http://www.dlink.com...ugh-adapter-kit

or

http://www.dlink.com...ork-starter-kit

Benefit of the first ones is you don't loose a socket.

Provided both ring mains are on the same consumer unit these will work. If you have multiple consumer units you may have issues.

The above assumes that a connection from Lenz layout in loft to home network is desired.

An alternative approach is a stand-alone wireless access point in the loft. Cable connection from access point to Lenz adaptor. Then, setup iPhone so it can connect to the new access point (it can still connect to main home network, you can have lots of WiFi connections stored in the iPhone).

The advantage is that the wireless access point is very near to the iPhone, so the power drain on the iPhone to get a wireless signal from a long way away "downstairs" is reduced considerably. Also, you can just turn off the wireless access point in loft when finished, and that's it.

Suitable device costs around £20-£30. The one I own cost about £20, and probably cheaper than a pair of PowerLine plugs.

I have adopted a slightly different standalone sysyem that does not need an extra router.

I use an old wireless equipped laptop as a standalone for my JMRI set up. It is connected to my Lenz LZV100 by the Lenz L1 USB.

I have downloaded a piece of free software called Connectify that allows the wireless in the laptop to act as a wireless broadcaster. Hence no need to purchase a router specifically to run the railway's phone and pad access.

When Connectify is not running the laptop will connect to the house wireless so it can get updates for JMRI, or for other internet functions.

http://www.connectify.me/

Best,

John

• RMweb Premium

I have adopted a slightly different standalone sysyem that does not need an extra router.

I use an old wireless equipped laptop as a standalone for my JMRI set up. It is connected to my Lenz LZV100 by the Lenz L1 USB.

I have downloaded a piece of free software called Connectify that allows the wireless in the laptop to act as a wireless broadcaster. Hence no need to purchase a router specifically to run the railway's phone and pad access.

When Connectify is not running the laptop will connect to the house wireless so it can get updates for JMRI, or for other internet functions.

http://www.connectify.me/

Best,

John

Hi

The only issue I personally have with that approach is the need to boot the laptop when you want to use the iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

The only issue I personally have with that approach is the need to boot the laptop when you want to use the iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Cheers

Paul

Not so Paul.

The laptop is booted at the beginning of a railway running session and stays on til the end. The laptop is running Panel Pro to give access to turnout and route settings.

It is therefore connected to JMRI all the time. While connected you can switch wireless settings without affecting the JMRI connection to the Lenz system.

Best,

John

• RMweb Premium

Not so Paul.

The laptop is booted at the beginning of a railway running session and stays on til the end. The laptop is running Panel Pro to give access to turnout and route settings.

It is therefore connected to JMRI all the time. While connected you can switch wireless settings without affecting the JMRI connection to the Lenz system.

Best,

John

Hi

Exactly my point. I just switch my layout on no need to ever boot the Laptop and I can just use my iPod. I can see the benefit if using something like PanelPro but not everyone does. I use TouchCab to control my points and hopefully in the next version I will be able to create routes.

Cheers

Paul

Morning Guys,

This is all good stuff......so much help from all of you, and it is so much appreciated...Thankyou.

Today (Sunday) , and hopefully by the end of the day will be up and running with my first ever iPhone, who knows, I may even have Touchcab on it by then too.

Then I need to decide, using all your suggestions, which is my preferred way forward to getting the iPhone talking to my trains.

Thanks again guys.

Rgards.................Bob

• 5 months later...

Good morning Guys,

6 months later, and I finally now have my Apple iPhone 4S, and am now conversant with it.  I also have the Touchcab app downloaded to it.

Apologies for the gap since I last posted on this thread.

With your help again.......I am now hoping to progress to actually achieving wireless communication to my model railway.

To recap......I have the 4S phone, I have the Lenz 23151 Interface ....this is where I stalled last time.

The Router.................recently Orange(now EE), sent me a new free of charge router, cos I am such a good customer, it is called the Brightbox.  I was to disconnect my old router and replace it with this one. That all went very smoothly some months ago.  However, I do still have the old router, a "Livebox CF68".

So.......do I now have everything I need to progress, in other words, is the Livebox CF68 a suitable piece of kit to use in conjunction with the 4S and the interface.??

Your help very much appreciated as ever.

Thankyou

Bob. 

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Guys,

6 months later, and I finally now have my Apple iPhone 4S, and am now conversant with it.  I also have the Touchcab app downloaded to it.

Apologies for the gap since I last posted on this thread.

With your help again.......I am now hoping to progress to actually achieving wireless communication to my model railway.

To recap......I have the 4S phone, I have the Lenz 23151 Interface ....this is where I stalled last time.

The Router.................recently Orange(now EE), sent me a new free of charge router, cos I am such a good customer, it is called the Brightbox.  I was to disconnect my old router and replace it with this one. That all went very smoothly some months ago.  However, I do still have the old router, a "Livebox CF68".

So.......do I now have everything I need to progress, in other words, is the Livebox CF68 a suitable piece of kit to use in conjunction with the 4S and the interface.??

Your help very much appreciated as ever.

Thankyou

Bob. 

Hi

I'm guessing you plan to use this router purely for operating the railway in which case plug it in near the layout and depending on what IP address it has the 23151 should work. How familiar are you with setting up routers?

You need to ensure both the router and the 23151 have the same subnet address. By default the 23151 has the address 192.168.0.200 so the router would need to be for example 192.168.0.1 the subnet being in this case 192.168.0.x

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am not all familiar with setting up routers.

In the loft I currently have the old Orange router, i.e. Livebox CF68.......that is now plugged into the power.....and the one usb port it has is used to connect it to the 23151 interface.

I do NOT use this router for y internet connection.......... that is now taken care of by a Brightbox router downstairs, here by my laptop.

In the loft, the 23151 is plugged into the LA152, and also the router.  I have touchcab downloaded onto my iPhone 4S.....and thats it.

I dont have a clue what to do next.?

Bob

Having read you reply I went to the loft, and tried to put the ip address 192.168.0.200 into the touchcab scroller.  When I then press connect, the black/green touchcab screen comes up for a few seconds, then reverts back to the scroll screen with the last two wheels scrolled so that it now reads 192.168.1.42

No matter how I alter those last two numbers, they always revert to 192.168.1.42

Dont really know what to do next.?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am not all familiar with setting up routers.

In the loft I currently have the old Orange router, i.e. Livebox CF68.......that is now plugged into the power.....and the one usb port it has is used to connect it to the 23151 interface.

That's not where I'd start....    I'd plug the 23151 to the Router using an ETHERNET cable. 

( From my knowledge of most communications boxes,  I doubt the Lenz box does anything over USB without an appropriate driver running at the other end of the USB cable.  That means a PC on the USB cable. ).

I do NOT use this router for y internet connection.......... that is now taken care of by a Brightbox router downstairs, here by my laptop.

In the loft, the 23151 is plugged into the LA152, and also the router.  I have touchcab downloaded onto my iPhone 4S.....and thats it.

I dont have a clue what to do next.?

Bob

Having read you reply I went to the loft, and tried to put the ip address 192.168.0.200 into the touchcab scroller.  When I then press connect, the black/green touchcab screen comes up for a few seconds, then reverts back to the scroll screen with the last two wheels scrolled so that it now reads 192.168.1.42

No matter how I alter those last two numbers, they always revert to 192.168.1.42

Dont really know what to do next.?

Chances are that the Router ( - which one ?  Your domestic BrightBox, or the LiveBox ?  ) has given the Touchcab the address of 192.168.1.42 .      It is IMPORTANT that your phone is using WiFi and is connected to the LiveBox router. 

If the Lenz has a static address of 192.168.0.200,  then we're dependant on what the LiveBox sets for the wired and wireless parts of the network.   If lucky, its using 192.168.0.x  for wired and 192.168.1.x for wireless and no settings to be done.   Or, if we're lucky and the Lenz box has a static address, but will take a DHCP one from the LiveBox and use that, then again we're OK.

If we're unlucky then the LiveBox is doing something else, then the laptop needs to go upstairs, plug into the LiveBox via ethernet, get up the LiveBox control screen in a browser and adjust settings.  That's a doddle for those used to setting up networks but can be more difficult for those not used to it.

- Nigel

I have my iPhone now definitely connected to the Livebox CF68 upstairs using wi fi.........if using my iphone I go to settings, then Livebox, I see a page with the folowing on.

IP Address............ 192.168.1.102

Subnet Mask........  255.255.255.0

Router..................  192.168.1.1

DNS......................  192.168.1.1

Does this help at all.

• RMweb Premium

I have my iPhone now definitely connected to the Livebox CF68 upstairs using wi fi.........if using my iphone I go to settings, then Livebox, I see a page with the folowing on.

IP Address............ 192.168.1.102

Subnet Mask........ 255.255.255.0

Router.................. 192.168.1.1

DNS...................... 192.168.1.1

Does this help at all.

Hi

Yes it does. You have two choices either change the router to 192.168.0.1 or change the lenz 23151 to be 192.168.1.200. As you have managed to get to the router settings I would suggest changing the router address to 192.168.0.1

As Nigel has said you need to connect the router to the interface using an Ethernet cable not the USB cable.

If Touchcab displays 42 then it can't see the interface.

If you want to contact me off list I'll send you my phone number and I can talk you through it tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

I agree with your posting, except that I'm not convinced that Bob has found the router settings page.   His report of IP addresses looks like the detail the iPhone screen would give on the IP connection over WiFi. 

On balance, I'd stick with a static address in the Lenz; changing the Lenz to use DHCP seems a bit risky as it may get lost if the client applications and network don't support Bonjour correctly.  I'd say that the first choice is to alter the router to 192.168.0.x  (then the Lenz will always work with the defaults in the manuals).  If the router proves too difficult to change, then look at altering the Lenz to match the router.    

I'd recommend only making changes to a router using a wired ethernet connection;  doing changes to address ranges over wireless has always struck me as one too many things which can go wrong mid-flight !   

So, for Bob,  take up Paul's offer of a call to talk it through (its not a fairly simple change for someone who knows about networks),  but I think you need some ethernet cable to temporarily connect your laptop to the router to make the changes. 

- Nigel

Hi Nigel, Hi Paul,

I really appreciate the help you are giving me on this....I am really keen and desperate for this not to beat me. .

I will give you a call Paul, if thats ok, perhaps you can PM your number to me.

It wont be tonight, Monday, I am out every Monday, all evening.

We can arrange another time for me to call that is convenient for you, perhaps we could arrange that by PM or through this thread.

A few things I am not sure about, is that the old Livebox router I am trying to use is quite old, but was still working fine until a few months ago, until it was replaced with the Brightbox as an upgrade by Orange, so it should be ok.  However, If I would be better buying a new up to date one....thats not a problem at all.  The Livebox CF68 is quite a large thing, about a foot wide and a foot tall, a big white thing.

I think I have a network cable somewhere....I'll get it dug out.

Nigel, you were right, the info I gave was from the iPhone screen when on wi fi.

I was also wondering if my sons brother in law would be able to help me, he is the IT expert/technician/manager at the local high schools.  He lives just a few streets away and may have the knowledge to do what you are telling me.??

Thanks for the time being.

Bob.

Hi guys

I'm not going to use the old orange livebox cf68 , I'm gonna buy a new one to use in the loft, just for the layout, at least that's my thinking.

Have you any recommendations as to which to buy so as to make this connection easy?.

Is one of the Argos offerings suitable, or is there another more suitable online that I can buy.?

Bob

Hi guys

I'm not going to use the old orange livebox cf68 , I'm gonna buy a new one to use in the loft, just for the layout, at least that's my thinking.

Have you any recommendations as to which to buy so as to make this connection easy?.

Is one of the Argos offerings suitable, or is there another more suitable online that I can buy.?

Bob

Why ?  Apart from physical size ?   There won't be any useful improvement in network performance.  And the LiveBox configuration interface would have to be really terrible to be worth changing to avoid having to use it. 

"Easy to use" is a relative term in routers and access points;  they're technical bits of kits designed for techies to setup.  They're delivered with minimal "easy to use" setup to get them to work in a standard domestic setup.   Using them for model rail kit with static addresses (the Lenz device) isn't on the list of things to make them "easy to use".  

However, if shopping, then this looks like it should be OK and is cheap.

According to the maker's manual, the default address range is 192.168.0.x which matches the Lenz Interface device, so shouldn't need to reconfigure the addresses to make it work - I'd hope its "plug power and Lenz into ethernet socket" and then key in the default wireless password on your smart phone:

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/tp-link-150m-11n-lan-fixed-antenna-4-port-router-7V1C.html

But, as I said above, if it does need adjustment of settings don't expect setup to be completely trivial, but should work OK.

If Argos are selling the same then it should work. Argos have something which looks similar online, but I didn't spot a model number to be sure about it.

- Nigel      ( I used to design the user-interface and user-experience of routers and ADSL access devices for a living ).

Did you think you would go so deep all those years ago at the first Member's Day Bob? (sorry) ;)

Hi Ian

I love the technical side of model railways these days, just wished the subject of IT was on the syllabus when I took my O levels in 1964.

I envy and admire the likes of Paul and Nigel who have been so helpful to me on this thread.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

According to the maker's manual, the default address range is 192.168.0.x

Hi

EDIT -> Sorry I misread Nigels message he was talking about a replacement router when he mentioned the 192.168.0.x above.

When I received my BrightBox (the LiveBox replacement) the IP address was set to 192.168.1.1 by default and looking at the post Bob made (#63) the iPhone is reporting that as the IP address of the LiveBox.

The LiveBox should be perfectly adequate for this.

Cheers

Paul

Hi guys

This router looks the same as the one you found Nigel, but it is titled " for cable",.?????

But as I am not using it for broadband, only with Ethernet connection to the 23151, is it worth trying. They have one in our local Argos I think, only 2 mins away.

Bob

Hi guys

This router looks the same as the one you found Nigel, but it is titled " for cable",.?????

But as I am not using it for broadband, only with Ethernet connection to the 23151, is it worth trying. They have one in our local Argos I think, only 2 mins away.

Bob

Bob, 

the label "for cable" is usually shorthand for "lacks ADSL modem inside box".   Which in turn means it can't be connected to an ADSL phone line.  Usually, with a Cable TV/Broadband service, the box that Virgin Media supply will present a single ethernet cable into the house.  

The one I found at the BT/Dabs shop has ethernet up-link (ie. is "for cable"). 

It doesn't matter whether the box has an ADSL modem or not, because the box going to be used stand-alone.  Therefore the uplink connection (to the cable box or to the ADSL phone line) is irrelevant as they'll never be used.

But, it seems odd to me to spend money when a minor configuration change to an existing device will make it work (change the address range from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x).  There remains a fair chance that configuration changes will be required with any new device. 

- Nigel

The old live box is very battered and was used in a poor environment, it has also discoloured in such a way that it looks as if it has overheated inside at some time?????

I shall go and get the Argos one and see what happens.

Bob

Have bought the new TP-LINK router from Argos.

It came with a set up disc.......but because I dont plug the router into the phone line....the set up procedure doesnt allow me to go beyond step 3......nowhere at all really.

So I assume this isnt necessary.

The router came with an ethernet cable which I plug into the Lenz 23151.............and aslo a power cable.

So....everything plugged in and switched on........................nothing.!!!!!!!!!

Then I realised I hadnt altered my iphone from the Brightbox to the new router........so switched that over.

OH MY WORD.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works.....!!

How cool is that.............and my pals are coming over for a pre planned play tonite........am I going to look the smartass of the week.

Seriously guys....................I cant thank you enough for all your help, thankyou for sticking with me through this learning period.

I shall give you an update as soon as I have had a play.......so far only moved one loco 6 inches backwards and forwards....and switched the lights on and off.

Thankyou all once again everyone for your help...particularly Nigel and Paul latterly......and Tony too in the early stages.

Bob.

Archived