Westerfield, Suffolk, 1958 to 1963

I'm gathering information on this station for a project in the loft.

I've gathered a few bits of information from local history sites and Wikipedia but there are a lot of detail questions still to answer, plus there are very few photographs that I can find from this period.

On the Felixstowe branch, one of the first to fully utilise DMUs in 1958, there were 2-car services operated by Derby Lightweights. As far as I can make out there were two or three trains that serviced the line and used the bay platforms that were present at this time (removed some time in the mid/late 60s). If someone could confirm this it would be one piece of my puzzle complete. For example, I know that 105s took over from Lightweights but I don't know when.

Of the trains that left Ipswich, I know practically nothing except for a passenger timetable. I don't know what they consisted of in regards to locos and passenger stock but I do know that in 1963 Ipswich Shed had 24s and 31s stabled there, however I'm not sure whether these would be used for passenger services on the this line, or how many coaches or their consists. I would imagine they would be fairly small trains of up to 5 coaches but that's my speculation.

Equally, I know nothing of freight services both on the Felixstowe branch or on the East Suffolk Line. Again, I know that Ipswich had a few Class 15s used for local freight so I would imagine these would have been used along this line, along with the mainline locos for larger trains. According to Wikipedia, Class 37s and 47s were used on freight services in and out of Felixstowe but I have no dates.

Lastly, there seems to be little in the way of a photographic record of the station and its goods yard in the period. In addition to passenger buildings, Felixstowe Dock & Railway Co. had offices on site but I don't know what they were used for (it's a bit of a way out for admin here). Did small goods trains use the bay too? I have a couple pictures of the old bay station taken in the 70s (which were abandoned at that time) and luckily the ESL station still stands. Both I believe are now private residences. When it comes to goods yard pictures I can find nothing at all. From period maps I can't even see a shed, or any structures at all so it must have been a very simple yard. Any pictures or information would be great and fill a massive hole.

Any help offered would be gratefully received.

Steve

Great Eastern Railway Society Journal covered Westerfield as follows:

Camping coaches - comment 86.38

Station - photo, diagram, track plan 83.30

- comment 86.37 86.38

Memoranda - comment 106.58

The various Dr. I C Allen albums will provide a number of photographs for the period, and there may be something for the 'transition' period in the many albums compiled by J D Mann. General stuff in David & Charles Regional History Vol.5

Andy

A book you need to have in your life Steve, is "Diesels in East Anglia" Dr. Ian Allen OPC SBN 86093 105 6

It shows that most of the ESL branches were still open, with a mix of ex-GE steam types and Cl.15, 30 & 24 aplenty. Milk traffic from Halesworth seems particularly prominent.

C6T.

Winter 1959-60 Public Time Table shows no terminating trains, just 13 weekday return trips Ipswich – Felixstowe Town all booked to diesel railcars, four Down trains stopping at Westerfield, five on the Up. I have a contemporary note from Winter 1960-61 that the (by then) 3.35pm Ipswich – Felixstowe and 4.5pm return were covered by a hauled working on a regular basis.

The GERS Collection at the Essex Record Office contains numerous Working and Public Time Tables for the period you are interested in and details can be searched using the ERO SEAX system. Working Timer Tables may also be found at the National Archives under reference RAIL909

Andy

As an Ipswich boy I will be watching this thread with interest. Unfortunately I can add nothing helpful but will try to speak tomy dad at some point soon. He worked at Ipswich loco depot and also has a keen interest in railways so may have some usefull nuggets of information.

I remember an article in Trains Illustrated/Modern Railways, early 60's, that covered operation on the branch. Major point noted was that EVERY branch needs a freight service, to subsidise the passenger service. Oh how we wish today!

Do you have the Middleton Press book ?

No, is that 'Branch Lines to Felixstowe and Aldeburgh' or 'Ipswich to Samundham'? I've seen your great shots at the station while searching this site for info. You get around a bit! I'll see if I can pick up copies - both look interesting and cover Westerfield.

Great Eastern Railway Society Journal covered Westerfield as follows:

Camping coaches - comment 86.38

Station - photo, diagram, track plan 83.30

- comment 86.37 86.38

Memoranda - comment 106.58

The various Dr. I C Allen albums will provide a number of photographs for the period, and there may be something for the 'transition' period in the many albums compiled by J D Mann. General stuff in David & Charles Regional History Vol.5

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll have to see where I can get hold of copies for the articles. I'll also research those names you've provided to see what pops up. Do they have online albums? I appreciate they are from very old collections but I'm hoping they have been published on the web somewhere?

A book you need to have in your life Steve, is "Diesels in East Anglia" Dr. Ian Allen OPC SBN 86093 105 6

It shows that most of the ESL branches were still open, with a mix of ex-GE steam types and Cl.15, 30 & 24 aplenty. Milk traffic from Halesworth seems particularly prominent.

C6T.

You're right, that sounds like exactly the book I need! I'm not keen on modelling steam (although I love the real engines) so some license will be required!

Winter 1959-60 Public Time Table shows no terminating trains, just 13 weekday return trips Ipswich – Felixstowe Town all booked to diesel railcars, four Down trains stopping at Westerfield, five on the Up. I have a contemporary note from Winter 1960-61 that the (by then) 3.35pm Ipswich – Felixstowe and 4.5pm return were covered by a hauled working on a regular basis.

The GERS Collection at the Essex Record Office contains numerous Working and Public Time Tables for the period you are interested in and details can be searched using the ERO SEAX system. Working Timer Tables may also be found at the National Archives under reference RAIL909

Andy

Thanks Andy, that's interesting. Does it show which loco pulled the coaches on the 3.35? It's also interesting that there were no terminating trains at Westerfield. Can you say when the bay platforms were no longer used? From what I've learnt, they were used until late '64. In that case, were they used for any sort of dock activity? I've not heard of those facilities you've mentioned so I'll research them.

As an Ipswich boy I will be watching this thread with interest. Unfortunately I can add nothing helpful but will try to speak tomy dad at some point soon. He worked at Ipswich loco depot and also has a keen interest in railways so may have some useless nuggets of information.

No worries, I'm you'll be able to help in some way! Where abouts in Ipswich? My mum lives not too far from Westerfield road and when I go back I usually find some time for a few holes at Fynn Valley, which is just up the road from there.

I remember an article in Trains Illustrated/Modern Railways, early 60's, that covered operation on the branch. Major point noted was that EVERY branch needs a freight service, to subsidise the passenger service. Oh how we wish today!

This would be a great article to find! I will definitely see if I can get hold of this - maybe it's all I need? The Middleton books look great though.

Once again, thanks for some really good quality information and pointers. I'll write down what I find out and post here.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

No, is that 'Branch Lines to Felixstowe and Aldeburgh' or 'Ipswich to Samundham'? I've seen your great shots at the station while searching this site for info. You get around a bit! I'll see if I can pick up copies - both look interesting and cover Westerfield.

Thanks - it's both books.

I cannot help with train services for your period of interest (but then the previous reponses should give enough to get started), but I did visit and take a number of b&w photos in the late 'seventies (when the bay buildings were intact and not enveloped in dense jungle). I may also have taken some measurements (away from home at the moment, so cannot confirm).

It might be worth raiding the DailyExpress archive of Giles' cartoons. He lived just down the road in Witnesham and I am sure he used Westerfield station for some of his drawings. :no:

My grandad owned Everett and Shepherd coal factors and I believe they had an office at Westerham.

I am intrigued about the bay platform: I am sure I remember it being used in the 1950s, when I used to visit my grandparents and a train trip from Westerfield to Felixtowe was always a highlight of the visit. I remember little about the trains except for the pant of the Westinghouse brakes.

Ian

(Edited - see posting below, which will now confuse everybody. Thanks Beast66606!)

Steve

A couple of other books to add to your shopping list:

"An illustrated History of the East Suffolk Railway by John Brodribb published OPC (ISBN 0-86093-572-8) 2003

"The Felixstowe Railway" H.I. Quayle & G.T. Bradbury published The Oakwood Press

Dr Ian C Allen was a very well known railway photographer and publish five East Anglian railway photo albums. Although his photographs can now be obtained commercially, he didn't caption his photographs and therefore the photo albums are important for the text he prepared. "East Anglian Branch Line Album" (OPC 1977) Fig 35 shows Westerfield Junction, with Class L1 on a through summer Saturday express from Liverpool Street to Felixstowe, with Class J-39 in the original branch station on a local freight train, waiting for a path to Ipswich.

Paul

I cannot help with train services for your period of interest (but then the previous reponses should give enough to get started), but I did visit and take a number of b&w photos in the late 'seventies (when the bay buildings were intact and not enveloped in dense jungle). I may also have taken some measurements (away from home at the moment, so cannot confirm).

Thanks Eddie, I love to see the photos and get the measurements from you, if possible.

It might be worth raiding the DailyExpress archive of Giles' cartoons. He lived just down the road in Witnesham and I am sure he used Westerfield station for some of his drawings. :no:

My grandad owned Everett and Shepherd coal factors and I believe they had an office at Westerham.

I am intrigued about the bay platform: I am sure I remember it being used in the 1950s, when I used to visit my grandparents and a train trip from Westerfield to Felixtowe was always a highlight of the visit. I remember little about the trains except for the pant of the Westinghouse brakes.

Ian

Yes, there seems to be a little confusion over the use of the bays. As far as I was aware through the research I've done so far, only goods went onto the the ESL from Felixstowe in '63. Around '64/'65, when a lot of relaying was done, the change of operations took place at that time. Those sources don't appear to be gospel though so more reading required.

Steve

A couple of other books to add to your shopping list:

"An illustrated History of the East Suffolk Railway by John Brodribb published OPC (ISBN 0-86093-572- 8) 2003

"The Felixstowe Railway" H.I. Quayle & G.T. Bradbury published The Oakwood Press

Dr Ian C Allen was a very well known railway photographer and publish five East Anglian railway photo albums. Although his photographs can now be obtained commercially, he didn't caption his photographs and therefore the photo albums are important for the text he prepared. "East Anglian Branch Line Album" (OPC 1977) Fig 35 shows Westerfield Junction, with Class L1 on a through summer Saturday express from Liverpool Street to Felixstowe, with Class J-39 in the original branch station on a local freight train, waiting for a path to Ipswich.

Paul

Thanks for that Paul, looks like quite a library I'm building!

Westerfield ;)

Funny you should mention names. When I was researching Westerfield, part of it centred on the engine boiler explosion in 1900 to see if the photographs took at the time revealed any details of the buildings and trackwork. It just so happens that a few years before in Washington, USA a steam ship suffered a boiler explosion (killing over 120 passengers). The ship's name was Westfield. For a little while I got the two confused!

• RMweb Gold

As an Ipswich boy I will be watching this thread with interest. Unfortunately I can add nothing helpful but will try to speak tomy dad at some point soon. He worked at Ipswich loco depot and also has a keen interest in railways so may have some useless nuggets of information.

I was at Ipswich from May 85 to Dec 88 as a secondman, if your dad was there at that time he would probably remember me..

Andi

First batch of books ordered. Some used, some new. They are:

First Generation DMUs in East Anglia

Diesels on the Eastern

Lightweight DMUs

Branch Lines to Felixstowe...

Diesels in East Anglia

I've also got the Saxmundham book in my sights on ebay.

It would be great to get a copy of the article Stewart mentioned, and have a look at Eddie's pics.

Thanks again all.

Steve

I was at Ipswich from May 85 to Dec 88 as a secondman, if your dad was there at that time he would probably remember me..

Andi

Hi, no he was a fitter back in the days of steam at the depot which turned into the wagon repair shop on the other side of the tunnel. By the 80's he was involved in the boiler room at Ipswich hospital. He has given a couple of talks about his time on the railways for the Ipswich Transport Society so if you are a member you may well of heard him.

No worries, I'm you'll be able to help in some way! Where abouts in Ipswich? My mum lives not too far from Westerfield road and when I go back I usually find some time for a few holes at Fynn Valley, which is just up the road from there.

Hi, I grew up on the crofts and went to Thurleston High School so not to far away at all. Im still in Ipswich but now live near to St Clements Hospital area.

First batch of books ordered. Some used, some new. They are:

First Generation DMUs in East Anglia

Diesels on the Eastern

Lightweight DMUs

Branch Lines to Felixstowe...

Diesels in East Anglia

I've also got the Saxmundham book in my sights on ebay.

It would be great to get a copy of the article Stewart mentioned, and have a look at Eddie's pics.

Thanks again all.

Steve

I f I haven't found it in a week feel free to give me a kick! I've got the old mags unsorted in the loft somewhere, but it's a bit hot up there at the moment.

Stewart

Some fifty odd negatives scanned as a batch - here's a small sample (rest will be PM'd to OP). Taken 7th May 1977.

post-10122-0-80416400-1343765855_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-93028700-1343765864_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-53596000-1343765874_thumb.jpg

This lamp hut was one of two small huts on the Down platform

post-10122-0-54832000-1343765882_thumb.jpg

Note token apparatus in front of signal nox

post-10122-0-08296800-1343765890_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-66579800-1343765898_thumb.jpg

On the day of my visit, Cravens class 105 dmus were working both the Felixstowe services and the East Suffolk line

Excellent! Thanks so much Eddie. Currently have a pile of unopened packages on my desk which (I hope) contain a few books on the lines, area and locos/DMUs/trains. Just need to unpack the bits at home so I have somewhere to read them!

Thanks again, wonderful shots!

Steve

For comparison, here are some modern (well, June 2010) views of Westerfield Junction.

post-10122-0-47763000-1343862523_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-19836600-1343862548_thumb.jpg

There is now only a facing crossover south of the level crossing, so all trains to and from Felixstowe use the "Up" platform.

post-10122-0-33802100-1343862534_thumb.jpg

I'd better point out that this shot was taken inside the fenced access to the Up platform - not from inside the level crossing!

post-10122-0-10831800-1343862593_thumb.jpg

70001. I'm not sure whether the fencing on the platform edge is to keep people in or the encroaching jungle out.

Archived