Elham Valley Railiway

howardb

This is the first photos of my model of Lyminge Station set in the mid 20's. The station is on a gentle curve which was difficult to transfer to the model, but after a few false starts I used Xtrcd to plot the curves and platform edges. Tillig track and pointwork will be used for the solid point blades and the flexible bases that is allowing me to bend the points to follow the curve of the station.

The layout will be under DCC control and while it will generally only see H class and C class engines there were a few periods when the main line was closed which will allow me to divert main line stock through the station.

post-6367-0-30496900-1343393764.jpg

Track plan of station

post-6367-0-18390000-1343393840_thumb.jpg

The roader shed constructed as a test piece for colour

post-6367-0-11263500-1343393878_thumb.jpg

Overview of the station and the pointwork

post-6367-0-35304000-1343393906_thumb.jpg

Catch points are not usually modelled but are very visible in the photos

Living some 300 yards from the real thing, I'll be following this with interest; there is a 'Lyminge Historical Society' which may have some period photos. The main traffic was apparently sheep; even in the 1930s, big sales would have almost a hundred wagons bringing beasts to and fro. One running line was used to stable wagons awaiting loading.

Looking good. One of my favourite lines, and one I've walked a few times - living in Canterbury. As you say there is the possibility for divertions from the main line in addition to the branch traffic - I will be watching with interest.

Reagrds, Les

edited for typos

My late mother lived in Station Road until 2005 so I was a regular visitor for about a decade. The station building has survived as the public library and has been sympathetically restored. I took a number of photographs which Peter Rumbelow used to build a 7mm version for a layout called Farnborough Road.

Bill

Thanks for the encouraging comments - I am living for the next few years in the middle east so fellow railway modellers are few and far between. To answer your questions

It will be a Maunsell era, but am sure that there will be an excuse to run a dirty SECR livery or two.

Unfortunately space consideration have made it impossible to fit the sheep dock on the main line, but I may be able to use modellers licence to fit it in just behind the bridge. I originally come from Folkestone and used a recent visit to get some up to date photos of what's left . Unfortunately Lyminge History society didn't seem to be interested since they tried to put me into contact with a third party who was going to charge for his research time! In my youth we often walked the line up through Etchinghill tunnel so have fond memories of the route.

This is my second layout with tilling track, so can give some comments about it:-

• Looks much better than most of the alternatives except for handbuilt track
  • Latest points are flexible so you can create realistic curving trackwork
  • Aged rails save a lot of hassle & latest updates have made it better to use with DCC
  • Its a pain to lay - track flexes under its own weight and needs a lot of care taking to get it aligned and the sleepers spaced.
  • I used it with H&M point motors successfully and this time am using SEEP latching motor, but in the longer term I expect that I will have to reinforce the stretcher bar since it is quite flimsy (spare bars are provided anyway)

A couple more photos showing progress since last week.

First picture shows the curved up line in place. I am using the torch to check the alignment of the curve.

post-6367-0-47033000-1343993000_thumb.jpg

The second picture shows how I am using paper plans to produce the station building using the free GIMP software package. First I took a scanned copy of the plans as a template, and on a new layer I trace them and correct the distortion to produce a usable set of plans. When I am satisfied with the new plans the scanned background will be deleted and I will add the colours and shading.

post-6367-0-32543900-1343993393_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have run into a problem with identifying the colours for the Lyminge timber

signal box .

Brian Hart's books show a structure that is painted in two colours in 1936 when

the line was singled. The upper half is a light colour and the lower half is a

dark colour. Since the usual SR colours were light yellow panels with green trim

it was not this, so does anyone have any suggestions? My only thoughts are that

it was either still in SECR colours (buff/brown) or the lower half had been

painted green for some reason.

Many Thanks

Howard

• 3 months later...

J,

Work to earn money has put this on the back burner for a few months, but my plan is to print the windows onto the self adhesive paper, then stick that onto clear plastic sheet. Cut out the windows with a new scalpel and carefully remove the part over the glazing. Hope that helps you.

Which station are you modelling?

Cheers

Howard

• 3 months later...

Its been some time since I added to this thread, but work has been progressing slowly.

The fiddle yard is built - I have set it up as continuous loop & the track tested without any major problems. I am abandoning the original solenoids and have just ordered DCC Cobalt motors which should enable me to finish the track testing in the next few weeks and get on with the scenery. While waiting I have sprayed the backscene with a thin coat of white to replicate the haze you see on a normal summers day and I think that it worked quite well.

Through the SEMG I found another group that is modelling Elham, so maybe one day we can put them together.

post-6367-0-07896000-1364148679.jpg

the layout is looking good look foward to more. 

can i ask a simple question , for someone just starting in SE&CR (ok set in br times)  what colour did the SE&CR paint their buildings? 

the layout is looking good look foward to more. 

can i ask a simple question , for someone just starting in SE&CR (ok set in br times)  what colour did the SE&CR paint their buildings? 

James

This site has some information http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_3_SR with a few colour pictures from the correct period.

Hope that helps - where are you planning building?

On the subject of colours does anyone have any idea when the Southern changed from using Dungeness shingle as ballast to stone chippings? Clearly after the River disaster, but when ..

Howard

James

This site has some information http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_3_SR with a few colour pictures from the correct period.

Hope that helps - where are you planning building?

On the subject of colours does anyone have any idea when the Southern changed from using Dungeness shingle as ballast to stone chippings? Clearly after the River disaster, but when ..

Howard

thanks Howard thats a great site . my model is going to be of a small joint  BLT with both the SECR and the  LBSC so not very realistic . but it will be set in early br so about 1949-1959 . 

• 4 months later...

Its been a while since I updated my posts, since wiring DCC point motors is quite boring, but finally back to the fun part. Here are some shots of the structures I am building.

The first picture shows my second attempt at reproducing the waiting room & before anyone asks the notice boards on the prototype also partly cover the window frames :)

post-6367-0-43088900-1376144503_thumb.jpg

The second shot is Bridge 2088 which is where the Nash Hill road crosses over the Elham Valley line. Apparently it was originally going to be a level crossing, but the farmers objected and this bridge was built for £500. Its still standing today and has a sign "ELVR 2008" so I assume its still looked after by one of the residual railway bodies

post-6367-0-23235200-1376144531_thumb.jpg

I have a question about the coal store on the station platform - does anyone have any idea what this should look like? Its slightly smaller than the lamp hut, but is it a shed or a lean to or an open frame with coal piled inside. 

Cheers

Howard

• 1 year later...

Some recent photos which show the final track layig completed and tested. Motorising the signals and wiring up the staion lights is the next job before finishing the scenery.

The first three shots copy the photos from B Hart's book on the EVR to check that it looks right. The final picture is an overview of the complete scenic area - in the forgrond you can just make out a derlict cottage as there is a buiding that appears in the background of one EVR photos but subsequenty has vanished - its not shown in the OS maps before the 20's or after the 40's either

post-6367-0-17733900-1427085929_thumb.jpg

post-6367-0-72542300-1427085984_thumb.jpg

post-6367-0-29482900-1427086018_thumb.jpg

post-6367-0-47956200-1427086075_thumb.jpg

Howard,

Excellent. Nice progress, It's really coming along nicely. I'm waiting for the new edition of B. Hart's book, hoping it will either have plans or a good full full picture of the station, in case I decide to build it in 7mm.

Jim F

Howard,

Excellent. Nice progress, It's really coming along nicely. I'm waiting for the new edition of B. Hart's book, hoping it will either have plans or a good full full picture of the station, in case I decide to build it in 7mm.

Jim F

His original book has good scale drawings of most buildings which I have used to prepare CAD drawing for the signal box, waiting room etc. (If anyone has a decent photo of the lamp shed or coal store that would be welcome) but looking through the new index these may not be reproduced in the new book so you maaay need both.

Cheers

Howard

PS Where is Sailsbury NC? I used to visit Raleigh & Zebulon but don't recollect seeing signs for Sailsbury

His original book has good scale drawings of most buildings which I have used to prepare CAD drawing for the signal box, waiting room etc. (If anyone has a decent photo of the lamp shed or coal store that would be welcome) but looking through the new index these may not be reproduced in the new book so you maaay need both.

Cheers

Howard

PS Where is Sailsbury NC? I used to visit Raleigh & Zebulon but don't recollect seeing signs for Sailsbury

If the new book doesn't have the plans, that would be disappointing, but not a deal breaker for buying it. I'll just try and find a plan or good working photo of the station, or maybe scale up the pieces of the ABM Railcraft SER station, as in looks close. I'm not actually going to model Lyminge after all, just base my scene on it, as I hope to have at least one loco from much earlier than when the line was built. Not sure I can justify buying both books, with the 1st edition selling for approx £30+ and the new one in the same range.

No, you would not have seen any reference to Salisbury where you visited. It's about 2 hours west of Raleigh, on I-85. The only signs you might have seen would have been ones pointing to Durham, Greensboro and maybe Charlotte, for this direction.

Looking forward to more on your layout, as you go.

Jim F

Archived