Unknown Tender

Probably intended to represent an Ivatt design for the GNR. The combined water hatch and scoop 'dome', the plated coal rails (missing section around the rear should be open rails) the sloping top of the front wall of the bunker with the curved top and heavy beading, and shape of the steps are all pretty distinctive features. Suits something such as what became the LNER D1 or J4.

It could be a Nu Cast kit. It is not North Eastern although it was with a NER P2 I think that was a mistake. I'll have a look through my RCTS books at the GNR options.

Edit to add:

I think you could be right regarding the GNR. Looking at the axleboxes and frame cut outs it would appear to be a good match. I think one of the tool boxes is mounted the wrong way round but otherwise they match as well. Thanks for the pointer.

Thinking about this a little more, I reckon it is meant to represent a late version of the GNR 'B' type tender, which could be found behind some of the earlier Gresley designs, such as what became the LNER O2 2-8-0. Tenders wandered around somewhat promiscuously among ex-GN designs in subsequent ownership so by reference to photos it can go behind examples of K2, the bigger D's, J6 etc.

• RMweb Premium

Certainly GNR in origin. The livery is a bit of a clue too. A number of the kits mentioned have a different style of tender, with a round water filler, rather than the box type. So we can rule out the Ks Atlantic, the Nucast D1 and K2 (I have them and they are the different type). The GNR J3 from Ks, later Nucast also has a round water filler.

The tender in the photo should should have coal rails all the way round the back, continuing from the plated section at the sides.

There must have been a whitemetal kit with that style of water filler but it is not one I am familiar with.

• RMweb Premium

It looks the same as one of the London Road Models GNR tenders, which I think is the Ivatt self trimming version. These are used behind several GNR locos in the LRM range, notably the K2/2.

post-1191-0-98776700-1343653078_thumb.jpg

Hello Jol,

I know that London Road do similar type of tender shown in the photos because I remember seeing Malcolm Crawley build one but I don't think it is from the K2 kit. If you look at the back end of the K2 photo, you can see the top of a round water filler. Looking at the London Road website, there is one with a box type filler behind a J3 but it doesn't have plated coal rails (perhaps a later change?) and there is only one toolbox in a different place.

After years working with MC I realise that I should have paid more attention to such things. If he saw the photo he would have been instantly able to say exactly what type it was, when and where it was built and what locos it ran behind!

Regards

Tony

Hello Jol,

I know that London Road do similar type of tender shown in the photos because I remember seeing Malcolm Crawley build one but I don't think it is from the K2 kit. If you look at the back end of the K2 photo, you can see the top of a round water filler. Looking at the London Road website, there is one with a box type filler behind a J3 but it doesn't have plated coal rails (perhaps a later change?) and there is only one toolbox in a different place.

After years working with MC I realise that I should have paid more attention to such things. If he saw the photo he would have been instantly able to say exactly what type it was, when and where it was built and what locos it ran behind!

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

I wonder whether the plated rails in the OP photo are accurate or a by-product of the model being cast in whitemetal. As I recall the GEM LNWR kits have solid coal rails but it is a long time since I built one and they may have been upgraded with etched coal rails.

The reason I thought it might be an Ivatt self trimming tender is that it has oval cut-outs in the tender frames, as opposed to "orange segment" shaped ones. As for tool box positions, sometimes they stayed in the same position (LNWRWebb tenders), but they have also been known to wander about and increase/decrease in number, as I found out when designing the LNWR Bloomer kits.

You are right that we need Malcolm's advice on on this, but sadly not to be.

Jol

Hi Tony,

I wonder whether the plated rails in the OP photo are accurate or a by-product of the model being cast in whitemetal. As I recall the GEM LNWR kits have solid coal rails but it is a long time since I built one and they may have been upgraded with etched coal rails.

The reason I thought it might be an Ivatt self trimming tender is that it has oval cut-outs in the tender frames, as opposed to "orange segment" shaped ones. As for tool box positions, sometimes they stayed in the same position (LNWRWebb tenders), but they have also been known to wander about and increase/decrease in number, as I found out when designing the LNWR Bloomer kits.

You are right that we need Malcolm's advice on on this, but sadly not to be.

Jol

The rails are intentionally plated. There are seperate non plated rails as well..

• 7 months later...

post-15879-0-90791000-1364561333_thumb.jpg

Here's one close to being finished. I bought this J6 years ago and asked the then proprietor of Nu-Cast if he would swap the tender to the Ivatt equal spaced 3140gal tender as supplied with the Nucast LNER D2s. This proves that (at least some) kits consigned to bottom drawers do get built eventually - although I've got plenty more unbuilt kits to go at. The tender was supplied with cast coal rails at the rear - missing in your photo. However mine also got lost and I've fabricated some out of 0.7mm brass wire, filed flat on one side. It should look OK once the small gaps are filled and it's painted.

post-15879-0-92053900-1364561364_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived