Ailsa Craig Tramway

Something on the radio today made me think of Ailsa Craig (had a girlfriend-ish who lived in Girvan), so I Googled it and found out two things:

1) it is for sale for £1.5 million

2) there is/was a tramway on it!

If I was clever I would have posted a photo and asked you to guess where it was, as it is I can't do links, so I can only refer you to it. Google "Ailsa Craig Tramway", and the fourth? one down is Helensburgh CC. org and that has an article about some canoeists who paddled across and took a photo of the remains.

Oh, and it was built to carry the granite they quarried to make curling stones to the harbour.

Ed

From what I remember from geography and geology almost forty years ago, the rock at Ailsa Craig is a very distinctive form of granite, known as a 'microgranite'. Its distictive character meant that it could be used as a marker to establish the extent of the flow of glaciers during the last Ice Age over part of Britain.

Wasn't this the supply of granite for Curling Stones?

Yes, and almost certainly still is. Stones are manufactured at Mauchline, a village to the east of Ayr. Believed to be the only curling stone works in the world back in the 90s - whether still the case I don't know.

Ailsa Craig is commonly held to be a volcanic "plug", though I've heard of an alternative theory of it being a gigantic "erratic" rock transported by ice and dropped there in the Firth of Clyde.

Yes, and almost certainly still is. Stones are manufactured at Mauchline, a village to the east of Ayr. Believed to be the only curling stone works in the world back in the 90s - whether still the case I don't know.

Ailsa Craig is commonly held to be a volcanic "plug", though I've heard of an alternative theory of it being a gigantic "erratic" rock transported by ice and dropped there in the Firth of Clyde.

If it's granite, then it was formed below the earth's surface, in the magma chamber of a volcano, rather than as a plug.

I've heard of an alternative theory of it being a gigantic "erratic" rock transported by ice and dropped there in the Firth of Clyde.

Eh??? Which pub did you hear that in?

Archived