Modelmates new opaque dyes

BlackRat

Modelmates continue to expand their range of weathering dyes, with a new range of 'solid' opaque dyes coming out.

Amongst these (which include various 'mud', 'soot' and 'limescale' hues) are a number of rust and verdigris shades, which are proving to be (to

me) more than useful.

I have been experimenting with the iron and copper rust, and also the blue and green verdigris which are excellent at replicating corroded

copper, battery spills etc.

Here'e a few pics of my 'experimenting' so far.............

post-7061-0-33233100-1348749048_thumb.jpg

This is an old Lima O gauge shunter which has been lying about for years, and intended for a cameo on my O gauge clay line. You can see the

effect of the rust which has been built up in layers. The marvelous thing is you cant seem to predict what shades will come out as it varies and a

'depth' of rust effect can be built up.

post-7061-0-95897800-1348749164_thumb.jpg

I have drybrushed, wet brushed and also used a cocktail stick to put the dye in place and sat back and watched the 'rust' develop.

post-7061-0-92989300-1348749228_thumb.jpg

I think they are excellent versatile products and highy recommend them. More pics if anyone is interested?

4mm 16 tonners etc.

A couple of mineral wagons..................

post-7061-0-52739900-1348751827_thumb.jpg

The wagon on the right was 'rusted' using a cocktail stick, the left hander was treated by stippling with a flat brush.

post-7061-0-95172600-1348751893_thumb.jpg

This one was done by brushing and streaking with a flat brush, then dry brushed over.

They really are very good indeed, and great fun experimenting.

Very easy to use to and if you co*k it up, you can wash the 'rust' off with water! :)

The additions to the range sure have potential Neil.. as your examples clearly show!! Just got myself some today, but have yet to try them out.

Have, though, experimented a bit with the original dyes. Washes of oil brown on some plastic glazing have produced some really effective 'dirty industrial windows', replacing the shine with a matt finish in the process... while I did post some pics of the pre-colouring I did of my sand ballast in another thread... here... in post 24

http://www.rmweb.co....ballast-to-use/

No doubt inks would have had a similar effect... but hey, there's something about Modelmates dyes that makes them easy to get on with...

Hi Alan, the opaque dyes are still new to the market and as such there's huge potential for someone out there to get some fantastic results.

The dyes are very easy to use and its quite something to see them drying out and transforming as you look, from a clear liquid to rust and verdigris.

Obviously now, the more people use them, the more different techniques will develop.

When used in combination of already well established processes like dry brushing, air brushing etc the possibilities seem to be limitless.

The mud and moss shades are pretty useful to, I just need to take some more pictures!

I hope people add there own to the thread to see who is doing what! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived