Ratio - new GWR brick built signal box kit

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Looking through a copy of the November 2012 edition of Railway Modeller the other day, I noticed an advert from Ratio for a new kit for a GWR brick-built, hipped roof signal box kit. From memory, it was a 6-window pattern box (ie. 6 sliding windows of the usual GW pattern along the front elevation). I don't think I've seen any other reference to this on RMWeb yet.

This looks to be a good kit of a common prototype, so I would imagine that it will be very popular. Sorry, but no photos (I haven't gone out and tried to buy one yet!).

Edit - I think that the technical name for this type of GWR signal box is a Type 7.

• RMweb Gold

That does sound interesting. Nice to see Ratio doing a new kit. Lets hope a few more come out in the future too.

Can't find any pictures either though.

I think this will be really popular.

Thanks for posting Tim.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 months later...

If you are talking about Ratio kit 552 - I bought one today!

The kit refers to Buckfastleigh (origional) Box - the Ratio factory is at Buckfastleigh.

However, the kit is shorter by one 3over2 window unit, so the floor dimensions are 86.7mm x 44mm: 21'8" x 11'0"

Looking at the list in Adrian Vaughan's "West of England Resignalling", there were a few boxes with an 11 foot floor size [it only lists those on the main line between Westbury and Totnes], but they are longer; 25 feet or more

If you add another 15mm for a sixth window unit, it would give a 25' floor length, so there is potential for kit bashing.

Blue Anchor box DOES have a five window arrangement - but one less locking room window, and is deeper.

I suspect it is based on a branch line prototype - somewhere!

• RMweb Gold

As it stands this has turned out to be a relatively small 'box as it will only accommodate a frame of c.21-27 levers (27 being a pretty tight fit but just about feasible).  Thus it would suit a small station so in that respect is probably ok for many layouts but it has the disadvantage of being too big for some and too small for many, e.g Barnstaple, or Minehead, or the 1930 version of Kingbridge.  However it is ideally suited, in frame length, for the intermediate stations on many West Country branches.

Unfortunately, from my quick study of the kit, lengthening it would require some fairly drastic surgery on the lower portion due to he spacing of the windows and, as already noted, it's still a bit tight on width.  Thinking cap is in place as i need a 'box big enough for a frame of about 37-40 levers.

• 9 months later...

Love RMweb! all the info I wanted on this product is in this thread.  Its too small for Stourhampton South which needs 30 levers plus a gate wheel and wicket levers. so I'll look elsewhere.

<goes off to research and then..>

If we assume a tappet frame with 4" centres this give a frame length 120" i.e. 10'.  There is nearly 10 feet left for the gate gear providing we put the bobby's toilet on the outside landing, tight, but not impossible.  Does the team think the middle frame room window should be removed or is this better left as a quirk?

Archived