What number is this one

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Porcy

Give the painter a pay rise.

It is not often that photos showing variations of green livery Type 3s appear. The two photos clearly show both ends. There are times when I see an odd yellow panel on a loco that I question is it the same both ends because I can never locate a photo of the other end. As I am writing this I am thinking is this a one off or were there any others?

Now what excuse can I find for it to wander over to East London and end up on Hanging Hill?

Clive

That's easy - if any loco appeared on their patch Stratford would hang on to it as long as possible and then send it up on a train that they didn't want one of theirs on........

The livery looks great! Green was the best time anyway....imho.

Best, Pete.

Cheers Porcy

Give the painter a pay rise.

The two photos clearly show both ends. There are times when I see an odd yellow panel on a loco that I question is it the same both ends because I can never locate a photo of the other end. As I am writing this I am thinking is this a one off or were there any others?

Clive

My thoughts exactly. A quick Image Google shows locos in green either side of this one had standard SYPs.

P

• RMweb Premium

You've jogged my memory with this one - I'm sure we spotted it through Cambridge? Without a very thorough sift through my spotting books though.....

Stewart

D6843:

New to Canton 5.63 (as shown in the delivery run through Crewe above)

Polmadie 8.66

Eastfield 10.68 (renumbered 37143 4.74)

Landore 10.74

Canton 11.74

Tinsley 2.77

Immingham 11.77

Stratford 5.84

Canton 3.86

Think I'll stop there.....

Cheers for the addtional information.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for as built RSH centre headcode machines and I saw it and something just looked a bit odd.

As an interesting, perhaps, note it seems that RSH and Vulcan painted their warning panels slightly differently on the centre headcode 37s. On Vulcan examples the yellow was applied to the rim around the D lights whereas on RSH ones it was left green.

Standard RHS warning panel

Standard Vulcan waring panel

• RMweb Premium

Hi Justin

You can look at hundreds of photos spotting little variations but sometimes there are things that just pass you by. In a few days the small yellow panel on a centre headcode 37 has gone from one style to four, well six.

Must not forget the two with the signwritting on them, one for the 1000th(?) loco by English Electric and one for the 300th Type 3. I am sure somebody is going to give us the numbers of these two, hope so as tonight I am far to lazy to get my books out. :nono:

Hi Colin,

Nothing is as straightforward as it seems once you start looking! Unfortunately so at times. :)

I wasn't aware of anything special about those two locos. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

• 3 weeks later...

D6999 was the 300th type 3, there was a good shot of it with the writing on the yellow panel in the book "The power of the 37's", not sure about which one was the 1000th EE loco, or any special lettering for that matter.

Archived