Hornby Live Steam In 4mm

Very subjective, only Hornby knows the success and future plans, at the moment the plans are dominated by the changes and development of the FE suppliers in the midst of a world recession.

They work, and work well, but maintenance can be problematic for some less experienced users, not exactly a day to day running item, more a Gala Special outing.

...and cost is the other factor, they are expensive, and it's an OO UK prototype, limiting potential sales in the massive US HO market.

Very much favoured in the collectors market, un-used, boxed etc., can only increase or at least hold value.

Love to see more available,

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, there's a MERG member that has converted one for DCC operation - still very much in the testing phase with issues like having 7A being consumed by the one loco on a DCC track with normal locos only needing less than 1A. Shorts are a concern .....

Boy... one of these would strain almost any basic DCC supply, one I serviced and checked out drew about 9 amps at one point, varying as it ran in again.

Model Railroader mentioned use with DCC, and an NMRA's senior members opinion was..... "not compatible", and left it at that.

I think a current limiting regulator would have to be added to the heating circuit, it could spare it, reducing the consumption of the "boiler".

Stephen.

I see the prices of the Loco's are dropping in some shops as well, which is often a good indicator of how well they are selling

They are either selling so many that production costs or dropping or thay can't shift them so are just dumping stock. I know which I suspect.

Modelzone had the Scotsman and the A4 for ??124 each.

I suspect its turned out to be one of those short lived whim things.

The locos have been heavily discounted for about a year.

??120 to ??140 seems to be typical for an A4.

The controller and transformer pack is available for ??99, meaning you can be up and running with one loco for less than ??240, as opposed to the typical ??499 being asked for the same bought as a set two years ago.

• RMweb Premium

I have a live steam Mallard and it is really great fun to operate, filling with water, firing up and waiting for steam pressure etc. and it runs very well and pulls a good load without effort. The steam and exhaust look and smell great. But sadly I believe live steam will be consigned to history as it is to all intent and purpose incompatible with anything else, if Hornby could get it to work with DCC without the massive current draw then it would be awesome but I'm afraid it will probably remain a stand alone system. One can however run it alongside DC and DCC which would look good. For all its detractors it will always remain a great peice of kit if you really want to have a go at driving a real loco, my early experiences were interesting because you have to be very careful with the regulator and 'learn' to drive; initially I would give Mallard too much throttle and it would take off like a dragster at Santa Pod only to leap off the track at the first bend and shoot across the landing, once up to steam the loco runs independently even if it is off the track! and gets very hot. The chime whistle is a nice touch when changing direction but it would have been nice to be able to sound it at will. I am not an LNER modeller but I bought a set of Gresley coaches specifically for my live steam Mallard and it looks beautiful when running with its rake of 6.

I have a live steam Mallard and it is really great fun to operate, filling with water, firing up and waiting for steam pressure etc. and it runs very well and pulls a good load without effort. The steam and exhaust look and smell great. But sadly I believe live steam will be consigned to history as it is to all intent and purpose incompatible with anything else, if Hornby could get it to work with DCC without the massive current draw then it would be awesome but I'm afraid it will probably remain a stand alone system. One can however run it alongside DC and DCC which would look good. For all its detractors it will always remain a great peice of kit if you really want to have a go at driving a real loco, my early experiences were interesting because you have to be very careful with the regulator and 'learn' to drive; initially I would give Mallard too much throttle and it would take off like a dragster at Santa Pod only to leap off the track at the first bend and shoot across the landing, once up to steam the loco runs independently even if it is off the track! and gets very hot. The chime whistle is a nice touch when changing direction but it would have been nice to be able to sound it at will. I am not an LNER modeller but I bought a set of Gresley coaches specifically for my live steam Mallard and it looks beautiful when running with its rake of 6.

Thanks to all of you and your replies to date

Cheers

CC

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

As DS239 and others have said above, its unlikely that live steam shall be repeated. The evidence is somewhere in this video from Hornby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k98mTQO42E&feature=feedf

However, given Hornby have released the 3 1/2 live steam Rocket, then moved onto 4mm live steam, perhaps they will come up with something new once the market economics have improved...

Ha!

Well,I did consider posting that link myself! :lol: but at 17:40 mins long it's a lot to sit through if you only wan't to hear confirmation that Hornby won't be making any more '00' live steam..

Although Frank at 6:53 says "unlikely",there is a definite "We're not going to make that product again" from Nick at 7:01..

• RMweb Gold

Lets face it if you get the bug for live steam you are probably going to go out in the garden with a larger scale and there are some excellent live steam locos available. The great benefits of 00 are the indoor scenic multi trains operational sides where live steam is a uneasy fit. The real question is did Hornby sell enough to meet collector demand so prices will not go sky high or will they be as rare as hens' teeth and we all wish we had a box set stashed away. I don't recall the Rocket being in high demand.

Don

• 3 months later...

The real question is did Hornby sell enough to meet collector demand so prices will not go sky high or will they be as rare as hens' teeth and we all wish we had a box set stashed away. I don't recall the Rocket being in high demand.

Don

I've got one of the Rockets that is really a shelf ornament but I do still steam it occasionally. Limited to one bar as all steam "toys" are it will barely pull itself on the plastic track. The coach seems to be worth more for collectors but a live steam loco that has never been steamed seems rather sad however much the collectors value "factory fresh"

Archived