British Railways publications 1948 to 1980

Evenin' all,

It may be useful for modellers to be aware of some of the BR publications which are now available from various sources (ebay, dealers in railway ephemera, bookshops, websites e.g. the Barrowmore Model Railway club http://www.barrowmor.../Prototype.html , secondhand book sites such as ABE http://www.abebooks....869388847939584 etc) containing information that can be used to enhance/improve the accuracy of a model railway as well as the understanding of its operator. Sites such as this http://www.2d53.co.uk/TT/TTmenu.htm contain Working Timetable pages and trip diagrams which may be for routes outside those in which the modeller is interested but are ideal for getting to grips with how BR displayed the information.

I'll add a 'railway jargon' post at some point which clarifies some of the terminology used within BR.

I'll start the ball rolling with the 1969 Working Manual for Rail Staff. A sensible format is probably to list the sections contained therein along with a summary where applicable.

Cheers

Dave

British Railways 1969 Working Manual for Rail Staff

Sections

Yellow pages - Labelling of wagons

A. General instructions

B. Standard Labels

C. Use of Special labels for certain traffics

D. Traders labels for wagons and containers

E. Labels from Received Loaded Wagons

Green pages - Loading and conveyance

A. Loading and sheeting

B. long loads

C. Overhanging loads

D. Exceptional loads

E. Instructions relating to particular traffics

F. Instructions for Train Crews and Marshalling Yard staff

G. Continental traffic

Pink pages - Handling and Conveyance of Dangerous Goods

A. Definitions

B. Acceptance

C. Marking of Dangerous Goods

D. Loading and Unloading

E. Marshalling and Movement

F. Fires and Accidents involving Dangerous Goods

Mauve pages - Instructions for Loading Containers (BR types)

A. Covered containers

B. Open containers

C. Small wheeled containers

Blue pages - High Capacity containers on Freightliner services

A. Conveyance

White pages - Preparation and Working of Freight trains

A. Freight train classification

B. Assessing the train

C. Notes on special circumstances

D. Method of calculating permitted train loads

E. Loads permitted with specific brake forces

classes 4 and 6a

classes 6b, 7 and 8

F. Markings on freight stock

G. Classification of locomotives

H. Local information

J. Freight train Guard's journal

Hi Peter,

Bookshops, dealers in railway ephemera, ebay etc are the usual sources. Including discussions on this thread simply makes the modeller aware that the publications exist and what their title is, this then allows interested modellers to track down publications which interest them.

Dave

British Railways Rule book 1972

Sections

A. Employment and discipline

B. General

C. Fixed signals

D. Handsignals

E. Signals, Points, Track Circuits and other signalling equipment - Failures, Repairs and Renewals

F. Detonators

G. Level Crossings

H. Working of Trains

J. Shunting

K. Detention of trains on Running Lines

L. Signalling during Fog or Falling snow

M. Trains Stopped by Accident, Failure, Obstruction or other Exceptional Cause

N. Working traffic of a Double Line over a Single Line of Rails during Repairs or Obstruction.

O. General Duties of Staff of Engineering Departments.

P. Safety of Men Working on or about the Line - Appointment of Lookoutmen

Q. Protection of Engineers Trains Working on a Running Line Not in the Absolute Possession of the Engineer

R. Loading or Unloading of Engineers Materials to and from Rail Vehicles which may be Moved

S. Protection of Hand Trolleys on a Running Line Not in the Absolute Possession of the Engineer

T. Engineering Work, Obstruction of the Line and Temporary Speed Restrictions

Working Timetables or WTTs varied between BR Regions and over time as to their content but the basic purpose was the same. Stewart Blencowe dealer in Railway Ephemera, Gloucester has supplied most of those in my collection.

Within each Region (Scottish, Southern, Western etc) of British Rail several WTTs covered different geographical areas within the Region. The lines included being displayed on the cover and usually shown as a map inside the front and/or rear covers. The WTTs were generally issued 6 monthly (Spring to Autumn, Autumn to Spring) or annually (Spring to Spring). The dates covered by the WTT being printed on the cover. Supplements were then issued as required. Sometimes all types of train were included within one WTT, sometimes Conditional (trains ran according to demand) and Mandatory (ran regardless of traffic conditions) each had their own WTT (labelled as such). Sometimes Freight or Passenger was the distinction.

WTTs were issued to staff whose duties required them to be in possession of the information contained within e.g. traincrew trained on (signing) the routes included, signalmen, freight offices etc

There was a comprehensive listing of symbols used within the WTT (narrow columns for each train meant symbols needed to be used) e.g. for the bulk of the 1948 to 1980 period unfitted freight trains (the driver could not control the braking of individual wagons along the train) or else vacuum braked trains (the driver controlled the automatic vacuum brake on individual wagons along the length of the train) were the norm and freight trains included within the WTT should be regarded as being braked as such except where 'AIR' was shown at the top of the column indicating that the automatic air brake would be in use throughout the train. Note: Partially fitted trains had a fitted head of vacuum or air braked wagons at the front of the train on which the automatic brake was in use (air being the exception rather than the norm).

Sometimes there was a table of locos and classes of train showing the maximum tonnages of train that a certain type of loco could haul over the lines included in the WTT and still expect to maintain the timings shown.

The four character headcode system included a letter which indicated whether the train was running to a destination within the region of origin or else was Inter-regional (destined outside of the region of origin). A list of letters applicable to trains running to destinations within their own region was often displayed within the WTT e.g B for Western region internal services running to Bristol, F for Swansea etc.

The first page relating to a section of line included the milage (in miles and chains) of places listed along the route.

Dave

The Sectional Appendix to the Working Timetable and Books of Rules and Regulations - West of England June 1980

Sections

Table A - Details of Running Lines

Table C.2 Lines worked under control of Signalmen, person in charge etc

Table D.1 Electric token Receiving and Delivery Apparatus

Table D.2 Lines worked under the Electric Token, Train Staff and Ticket, No Signalman Token or One Train Working arrangements (Handling of token or staff)

Table D.3 Intermediate and Auxiliary token instruments

Table D.4 Lines worked under the "No Signalman" token system

Table F Propelling trains or vehicles

Table G Working in wrong direction

Table H.1 Working of freight trains without a brake van in rear

Table H.2 Working of Coaching Stock vehicles without a brake van beyond station limits

Table J Locomotives assisting in rear of trains - Rule Book, Section H clause 3.20

Table K.1 Working of trains conveying passengers over Goods Lines or Goods loops

Table M Placing trains or vehicles outside Home signals on falling gradients - Rule Book Section J, clauses 3.22 and 5.3

Table N.2 Protection of Engineer's trains by handsignalmen - Rule Book, Section Q, clause 2.3

Table P.1 Level crossings - Opening and closing of crossing gates by trainmen

Table P.2 Level crossings - Automatic half barriers

Table P.3 Level crossings equipped with miniature red/green warning lights

Table P.4 Open level crossings

Table Q Lighting and extinguishing of signal lamps

Table R Station yard working - Rule book, Section H, clauses 3.6 and 11.2

Table S.1 Intermediate sidings at which trains may be shunted for other trains to pass

Table S.2 Trains returning from intermediate sidings or stations on single lines of railway to the Token or Staff Station in the rear

Table T Lineside fires

Table X Tail lamps - lighting through tunnels - Rule Book, Section H, clause 7.3

Table Y Lines equipped with automatic warning systems

Table Z Coupling and uncoupling locomotives of passenger trains

General instructions

Local instructions

• RMweb Premium

Can we, then, request what specific literature is available for our requirements, here?

For instance, I will need to know everything I should know about the running of GWR 81C 1948-1957 and 1958-65.

I have general information as to what went on, and a few allocation lists, but that's it. What I need next is the nitty gritty of what went on between 3pm and 9am (the time frame I hope to model) and how.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

• RMweb Gold

The problem, or j/key to, dealing with and using many of the documents is understanding their purpose and how they relate to each other. Many of them are also positively misleading if you don't know what to read them with or in whatever context and they can also be misleading without the amendments as you tend to think that it applied from the day it was published to the date of the issue which replaced it.

Take the question about Southall for example. Apart from what was in the Rule Book (my copy of the 1962 issue of the 1950 Rule Book is fully amended up to the time it was superseded by the 1972 reissue - that means it has the contents of 4 supplements added to or altering its original contents) there was the 1960 General Appendix which was replaced by the 1972 issue but in the meanwhile had been amended by five supplements. However both of those would be amended or amplified as necessary by the relevant Sectional Appendix which - as far as Southall was concerned was reissued in 1960, 1969, probably 1972(?), and 1975 plus supplements in between - I don't know how many supplements because I haven't got all of them.

The layout of the Sectional Appendix wasn't (vaguely) standardised across BR until 1960 and even then there were differences between the Regions regarding how things were shown and what was included although there was officially a set of standard tables - there were still differences in those between the Regions in the 1970s and probably later.

Prior to 1960 the separate Company General Appendixes issued in the 1930s were still in use although many things had been brought into line although in fact that process wasn't completed until 1972 when for the first time a General Appendix was issued which applied across BR and subject only to amendment/amplification by Sectional Appendixes.

The first almost national set of Signalling Regulations also didn't appear until 1960 but even then the WR Regulations were in a separate book because of the number of differences from all other Regions and there were also some differences from elsewhere on the Southern; until that year the previous Company Signalling Regulations, albeit with lots of updating and amendments were still in use. Again the first wholly national set of regulations didn't emerge until 1972.

So the first thing you need to ask - as for Southall above - is what period am I interested in, then probably ask on here what the relevant publications would be for your place and era. For the running of Southall 1948-65 a Rule Book might be useful, a GWR General Appendix would be very useful, as would the 1960 General Appendicx and the 1960 Regional Appendix plus the 1960 Sectional Appendix and whatever Sectional Appendix there was before then plus ideally a few Working Timetables (WTTs) and you could go straight here for some of the latter for free

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/default.aspx?atk=572

Can we, then, request what specific literature is available for our requirements, here?

For instance, I will need to know everything I should know about the running of GWR 81C 1948-1957 and 1958-65.

I have general information as to what went on, and a few allocation lists, but that's it. What I need next is the nitty gritty of what went on between 3pm and 9am (the time frame I hope to model) and how.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Mornin' S'Man,

The potential for this subject is vast, as hinted at by Mike above. I'm trying to set up a discussion opportunity for modellers interested in broadening their knowledge without spending the rest of my life instructing on BR Rules and Regulations. A sensible approach may be to understand which area of BR publications interests a modeller and then point them in the direction of a likely source, The modeller purchases a copy of such a publication and spends some time reading the material contained within, we're then in a position to have a basic discussion about its contents. In the meantime I'm sure that there are several of us on here capable of giving 'case studies' about instances of BR practice.

Dave

Mornin' all,

I sourced various BR publications from this ABE secondhand books website

http://www.abebooks....869388847939584

Just type in the publication which interests you and it should bring something up. Beware, sometimes a supplement is offered rather than the actual publication, be sure to read the description carefully.

Dave

Mornin' all,

A typical subject for a case study might be 'Braking systems on BR wagons' and how to model them.

Freight wagons would normally be equipped with a handbrake (lever or wheel) that could be applied from either side of the vehicle. A wagon only equipped with a handbrake could run in a 'fitted' portion of a freight train or 'fitted' train providing it had a 'through pipe' (vacuum or air) which allowed the vacuum or air train pipe to be connected continuously throughout the fitted portion, or else the entire length of a 'fitted' train. The brake pipe connections on 'through pipe only' wagons were painted white. There was a limit to how many 'through pipe only' wagons could be conveyed in a 'fitted' train and also where they could be marshalled e.g. for many years the last 3 wagons of a fully fitted freight train had to be equipped with the automatic vacuum or air brake and it had to be working.

T.B.C.

Dave

There was a website that was in the process of making available old WTT's in pdf format.

A quick google didn't turn any thing up so maybe it's fallen by the wayside but for any one interested in Western Region WTT's this site is available:

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?tok=34

Also is it worth adding the British Transport Commissions "Handbook of Stations" and it's many supplements to this list. It's helped me a lot in working out frieght flows between private anda nationalised industries.

Porcy

WTTs - a really useful resource if you want to operate your layout in a prototypical manner.

Small extract from LMR Midland Lines Passenger Timetable Section A (9.9.63-14.6.64) with some of the features annotated.

Don't feel any copyright breeched as the small extract is for research purposes.

Train 1C43 might be of current interest to some of you.....

post-6880-0-70498500-1352635951.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There was a website that was in the process of making available old WTT's in pdf format.

A quick google didn't turn any thing up so maybe it's fallen by the wayside but for any one interested in Western Region WTT's this site is available:

http://www.michaelcl...s.co.uk/?tok=34

Or click on the same link posted by StationMaster above ...

• RMweb Gold

I've often wondered ( and not wanting to pull out the pin from a hand grenade on it!) who owns the copyright on BR literature.

I've got several prints which were "copyright British Railways" and would it be illegal to post here (as some WTT material has been) ?

After all is BR still a legal entity?

Neil

Hi Neil,

If you click on the Barrowmore MRG link in the first post and have a look at the Wagon diagrams that are similarly owned you'll see that Dave Faulkner gained permission of the BRB for the purposes of allowing the drawings to be copied for personal use.

Dave

• 3 months later...

I recently visited a reference library to view some ex MR plans and drawings and was allowed to take copies. The librarian informed me that the copyright expired after 50 Years. A similar story was told at a public records office and copies were taken!  Can anyone confirm or clarify the copyright situation? 

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Does that include publications published by the Pre-nationalisation / pre-grouping companies as well?  For example, my SR Timber Loads booklet?  I assume, correctly or incorrectly, that BR inherited the copyright?

There was a clause in one of the Acts (and presumably in the 1947 Act as well) which transferred all the previous titles to the new organisation - i.e the Companies grouped were transferred to the big four and the big four plus certain other things covered by the 1947 act went to the British transport Commission and later (1962 Act I think) to the British Railways Board.

At privytisation stuff went in all directions - the Rule Book, WMRS, Signalling Regulations and various Instructions and Standards are all owned by RSSB but are available to anyone from their website.  Timetables are now technically the property of Network Rail and train operators but are available (even as working timetables) on the 'net).  I'm not sure if BR Residual retained any rights on older publications but they certainly took a heck of a lot of dormant train names (e.g The Night ferry) and various brands (e.g. Pullman). 

I used to think that the train reporting number/4 digit head-code would uniquely identify a specific train but it would appear not. Am I right in thinking that this number was only valid for the current WTT and that the same train could have a different number in subsequent WTTs? How would a railwayman uniquely identify a specific train, was it by time of departure from originating station - ie the 11.52 St Pancras? 

• RMweb Gold

I used to think that the train reporting number/4 digit head-code would uniquely identify a specific train but it would appear not. Am I right in thinking that this number was only valid for the current WTT and that the same train could have a different number in subsequent WTTs? How would a railwayman uniquely identify a specific train, was it by time of departure from originating station - ie the 11.52 St Pancras? 

Things have changed over the years, considerably.  When 4 character headcodes first came in Class 1 trains, Class 3 trains, and most freights, had individual numbers while Class 2 trains generally had route numbers with a sprinkling of individual numbers.  However the individual numbers were used in rotation so if say you first northbound Leeds train of the day was 1L01 the sequence would restart at 1L01 for the 100th northbound Leeds train of that same day, or even lower if various other numbers were used for Class 2 trains and only a group of, say, 20 individual numbers was available for Class 1 trains.  Possibly not so much of problem with Leeds train but in some cases - e.g WR trains bound for Paddington (with allowance for some gaps in the series) numbers began to repeat in the later part of the day.

Changes could take place at timetable change dates but generally I think every effort was made to keep the same number for the same train - unless something altered on that train (which might only be additional stops in some cases) and changes also occurred because of Regional boundary changes (which altered or introduced inter-regional letters in the code although often the number was unaltered).  In some cases trains kept the same code for years on end, especially freights where I know of at least one train which kept the same number for a good 20 years.

However changes driven by other things gradually began to appear - the principle culprits being ARS (Automatic Route Setting) in signalboxes but even more so the introduction of radio systems, especially Driver Only Operation radio.  Many of these - particularly the latter - required every train in a particular area to have a unique code, which broke down the old idea of what amounted to 'route numbers' for Class 2 trains.  In addition greater emphasis was placed on avoiding mis-understandingresulting from delays and this meant several things - firstly the cycle of repetition of numbers had to be extended in some cases in order to avoid confusion if trains were running late (not helped either by ever larger signalling control areas) and one incident where a tank train containing the wrong grade of fuel was nearly unloaded at a West Midlands terminal because while its number was what they were expecting the traffic wasn't - it was the previous days train with completely different product and, supposedly, a different destination.

So gradually there has been a move to individual 4 character numbers and in many cases the letter codes are meaningless compared with the originals - solely in order to create enough numbers.

And before anybody blames anything on TOPS we might as well quash it at birth.  4 letter headcodes have long repeated across different Regions - in fact sometimes you could put in a TOPS inquiry and find the system comes back with a list of 6 trains - all with the same headcode.  But the 6 digit code for each train will be different because the two additional numbers on the end signify the shortened version of the starting location's STANOX code.  On top of that the codes used in such systems as Train Service Data Base (as was, probably different now) have even more digits which indicate whose train it is and so on - I think the 'full house' is now probably up to around 9 digits but it's a lomg time since I had anything to do with such systems.

Hope that has helped a bit?

• RMweb Gold

.  As railway documents were not for 'Private and not for publication' (my BR ones are marked thus), I guess that the rule about 70 years from the first year of public publication is not applicable.  So I read this that I can scan and make public my SR Timber Loading booklet from the 1920s, but not my BR documents.

There must be some lawyers who are RMWeb members who can confirm my interpretation??

I believe "Private and not for publication" was connected with sending copies to the national library (it meant the railways didn't have to) rather than any other reason - this was told to me by an ex librarian.

Archived