Tragic Accident in Texas

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20351941

A freight train in Texas has crashed into a parade float, killing four people and injuring 16 others.

The crash happened at a railroad crossing in the city of Midland, as the flat-bed truck was on its way to an event honouring wounded US veterans.

The crossing gate and lights were reportedly working and an investigation is under way. One eyewitness said the float became stuck at the crossing.

• RMweb Gold

Nightmare. You sense that railways are just not a part of the landscape that people consider. Parades inevitably stop and start in their progress around town.

Midland was the home of the innovative Chaparral racing team in the '60s.

One eyewitness said the float became stuck at the crossing.

and another;

Eyewitness Daniel Quinonez said the second float "could not go anywhere because of the other one being right in front of it".

Whatever the cause an absolute tragedy, to survive combat and then be killed on a veterans 'fun' day out.

Who designs a parade route that crosses the UP at a level crossing?

I believe this level crossing in Midland, TX, on S. Garfield St. Between Front St. and Industrial Ave. is the one, based on CNN footage. Assuming this is the crossing, you can see there is lots of visibility on both sides and there are boom gates. During the aftermath, the gates and lights on the Front St. side are clearly in good working order.

This is what the train hit.

Midland TX, is famous for it's connections with George W. Bush. He lived there for multiple periods in his life, as a child and then when he was married. Laura Bush is from Midland.

I've seen reports stating it was at Garfield St. Two things came to mind here for me - first is that the town should have notified UP of the parade and activities that day. That's done here when the State Fair is in town and the trains all slow down thru the affected area - not to say that would have prevented this but it couldn't have hurt. 2nd thing is that the float driver made a horrible horrible mistake in pulling onto the track when he couldn't get across. One report said the trailer bottomed out on the crossing but I've not seen that anyplace else.

I've seen reports stating it was at Garfield St.

KWES (NewsWest9):

If you'd like to show your support for the men and women, a parade will start on Thursday at the Doubletree Hilton Plaza at 4 p.m. and will head down to Garfield Street.

Later, a Show of Support banquet will be held at the Horseshoe Arena.

Sad. Lots of human error here, and not by the UP.

Archived