Gowhole Sidings - a layout now departed

LNER4479

Thanks Dr G-F

I've never known a time when I didn't like making models so I guess I must have acquired some skills over the years. Ours is one of the few hobbies I think where you get better as you get older...

I have loads of print photographs taken over the years so will scan those in - but I can probably re-take most of them with my current D-SLR. One way or another, I'll get them posted in due course.

One interesting snippet for you seeing as how you like track so much. The alignment of the running lines you can see in the centre of the opening photograph was set by a computer! So I can only take partial credit for the lovely reverse sweep of them. I was doing some research into track alignment and used the programme I was working on one lunchtime to run the measurements from Gowhole through :mosking:

• Like 1

Thanks for interest Bill - it certainly seems a little different to your area/era. I'll let you into a little secret though - I did allow a few (green) diesels on the layout, to represent the very end of the era being depicted. I've just realised that I do have one further picture to hand which I can post for now, which happens to show two of them...

post-16151-0-11149000-1354832937_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That shot of New Mills Junction is exquisite - everything about it is authentic - lovely prototypical junction, midland signals and signal box, double telegraph poles, proper cess and ballast shoulder, just enough scenery to frame the railway. It reminds me very much of Don Rowland's work, it has that same ring of truth about it. And all done with off-the shelf rolling stock and Peco track, no super detailing, no P4, just imagination, observation and skill.

You Sir, are a genius.

• Like 1

Thats good size layout you have....

Thanks Cl.66. Especially as you don't profess to be a steam man (sounds like there's time for you to 'see the light' yet!) Lofts are of course good spacious places to set out a layout. The layout never really seem to suffer too much despite the hot and cold extremes; possibly this was due to the installation of a velux window. What you see is the result of over 20 years modelling so I guess I had plenty of time to build things up over that period.

That shot of New Mills Junction is exquisite... (modesty prevents me from re-quoting the rest).

Aw shucks Dr G-F - steady on now :nomention:

But thanks all the same. It's one of my favourite shots of the layout and you have succinctly captured my approach to modelling in one sentence (although some of those vans are kit built with sprung buffers I'll have you know!). I'm under no illusion that many will take one look at a thread like this and quickly move on elsewhere. No problem; we're a broad church and there's plenty of room for all approaches. But it's gratifying when others like what you've done (and I do try and comment favourably on other threads I like in equal measure) and I value kind comments from youself and others. :)

Meanwhile, about to pass through the real Grantham at speed, heading back home with two rolls of cork and 17 yards of ex-Gowhole Peco for Grantham's fiddle yard :imsohappy:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm starting to model a bit of the line south of this location - Bakewell, so I'm busy researching the Manchester - Millers Dale - Derby workings. Your pictures are a great inspiration, and I'd love to see more.

Frankly, I don't know whether to be inspired or completely daunted by what you've done, as Dr G-F says you have perfectly captured the look and feel of the line and the area, and yet with a minimal amount of scenery.

I can only hope I can do half as well.

Hi All,

Glad my 'old' layout is of interest to some of you. I have just spent a nostalgic hour or so scanning in some of the best of previous print pictures taken over the years, so here they are. This should give a more comprehensive guided tour of the layout, together with an indication of stock built up over the years:

post-16151-0-14567100-1355015618_thumb.jpg

These two shots give an overall view of Gowhole sidings (complete with stock boxes beneath!). In the background can be seen the 'rest of the world' return loops. The infamous ICI hoppers make an early appearance (I made up 6 of them, resin castings from Peak Model shop in Buxton at the time).

post-16151-0-07701900-1355015891_thumb.jpg

Parked on Dolly Lane in the foreground is my Dad's Ford Anglia! This was a popular spot for local enthusiasts.

post-16151-0-44962100-1355015944_thumb.jpg

A 4F is turned on Gowhole's 60ft turntable. I made this (the turntable) from scratch, powered by human hand via a set of Meccano gears!

post-16151-0-09316600-1355016223_thumb.jpg

Altogether more exotic motive power from the East! Although not diagrammed, Hasland shed would occasionally turn out one of their Garratts to work a fully loaded coal train from Avenue sidings (Chesterfield) if the more usual 4F wasn't available. There is documentary and photographic evidence of this. They worked in via the Hope Valley route (sorry Alastair!)

post-16151-0-94095000-1355017710_thumb.jpg

Having been serviced, 47983, heads back for home with some coal empties (plus some assorted general traffic). I built the loco from an old K's kit. One (large) Mashima motor provides the 'grunt'.

post-16151-0-51992700-1355016695_thumb.jpg

A 'chance'(!) meeting of 3 8Fs at New Mills South. The two heading uphill have replacement Comet chassis, whilst Heaton Mersey's 48503 is an original Wrenn. Below the scene can be seen the route of Hayfield branch with the mainline control panel underneath that.

post-16151-0-29715300-1355016886_thumb.jpg

I quite like the angle of this view of a royal Scot sweeping downhill through the junction towards Manchester. As it was taken before the signals were installed and is a bit fuzzy in places, I'll have a go at re-taking with the DSLR for a future posting.

post-16151-0-60579600-1355017037_thumb.jpg

At new Mills Goods yard, a 2F (still in LMS livery) shunts the yard. This was another kit build, from a Geo Norton etched brass kit (bit too clean!)

post-16151-0-85405300-1355017194_thumb.jpg

Down at Manchester Central, Jubilee 45698 'Mars' prepares to head for the Peak District hills with a Liverpool-Nottingham express (which has reversed at the station). In the background, Fowler 2-6-2T 40067 waits to follow with a South District line local service. A D10 is on station pilot duties.

post-16151-0-20415800-1355017613_thumb.jpg

A view inside the trainshed. The 2-6-2T is reversing out having brought a rake of stock in, as 2P40470 (with Midland tender) arrives with a local from Chinley.

post-16151-0-77367000-1355018017_thumb.jpg

Finally some views at Heaton Mersey. This phot shows the sidings here which aren't actually prototypical, being a sort of amalgam of Georges Road and Heaton Mersey sidings (both of which only ever saw freight wagons!). But they served an operational purpose on the layout. As the Hayfield services ran from Manchester London Road (now Piccadilly) rather than Central then that is why the C13 is at the head of a local train!

post-16151-0-29549700-1355018370_thumb.jpg

This is one half of Heaton Mersey depot, which I did try and make reasonable prototypical (although horribly condensed). The 2P draws to a halt beneath the coaling stage.

post-16151-0-98389600-1355018514_thumb.jpg

The other half of the shed yard, showing the shed building. More 'exotic' motive power on view here, as one of the last former L&Y 7F 0-8-0s is a rather unlikely visitor (although they were recorded working into Gowhole yard with transfer freights from North Manchester). This is a London Road models kit, again wot I built.

post-16151-0-81354600-1355018720_thumb.jpg

The shed yard looked a bit bare so an impression of the engineman's signing-on building was added.

post-16151-0-79457200-1355018820_thumb.jpg

An 8F in repose to finish with. I took this one sunny day, with the sunlight coming in through the skylight, creating the characteristic light and shade effect. The shed building was made from hardboard, with the rough surface facing inwards. Painted, I think it gives a passable impression of brickwork?

i hope you've enjoyed this canter through the various aspects of the layout. It was certainly good fun putting it together. Feel free to ask any questions if you want to know more about any particular aspect(s).

'Robert'

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 16

That's what a layout should be plenty of everything sidings,junctions,big stations and goes all over the place trains everywhere will have see your other layout awesome stuff

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this with RMWeb before dismantling. Very interesting and inspiring pictures too. I echo Dr G-F's awe that this is effectively a practice run! Carlisle will be a walk in the park for you.

I expect you were forced to overcome all of the usual loft problems - temperature fluctuation, inacessibility for wiring, scenery and repair, dust, fauna etc etc, and not even at your home address. Gowhole is even more impressive for that.

Thanks,

Iain

• Like 1

Thanks guys for kind comments

That's what a layout should be plenty of everything sidings,junctions,big stations and goes all over the place trains everywhere will have see your other layout awesome stuff

Nicely put sir! I liked to think of it as a model of a railway 'system', with various different permutations and combinations of movements and operations. Certainly kept the interest going for 20 years.

I echo Dr G-F's awe that this is effectively a practice run! Carlisle will be a walk in the park for you.

Perhaps not quite a 'walk in the park' Iain, but certainly a concept along very similar lines - to recreate a railway system. By contrast, Grantham is a simple roundy-roundy!

• Like 1

That picture of the scott at the junction, hard to believe that its peco pointwork. Photos like that should be in the peco catalog just to show that used effectively even peco can give realistically looking pointwork.

Thank you my friend. I've always enjoyed the challenge of trying to replicate prototype track formations with the Peco. If you do have time to read my other thread (Grantham) you'll find quite a bit of correspondence on there re use of Peco track.(but I guess you prefer Gowhole as it's nearer to Woodhead ;))

Hi

A great Layout. In 1990/91 I built a exhibition layout named Buxworth sidings which appeared in Railway modeller in 1993 which was based on Gowhole and which for the last 12 years has been set up at The Railway Study Centre here in North wales. It was shown at many shows up and down the country as well as at three shows in Europe Will post a few shots of it for you.

Keep up the good work

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes I remember Buxworth Sidings - saw it at the Warrington show one year and was obviously of particular interest to me. Be good to be reminded of it again if you can post the shots.

Great Tunsley Dale looks awesome (especially when the steam is running!), some stunning structure modelling going on there.

• 3 years later...

Well, it's a long time since I posted anything on this topic, but there has been spasmodic things going on in the background. I have amended the topic title slightly to reflect the story...

post-16151-0-03941800-1471784513_thumb.jpg

As predicted, the story is one of gradual dismantlement, a process that started two years ago to provide the remaining fiddle yard track required for Grantham. So, although a sad story, I have nevertheless made a record (of sorts) as I've been going along and hope it might be of interest.

post-16151-0-18303500-1471784552_thumb.jpg

Inevitably, stock packing away is an early job. Some stock was retrieved, dusted down, serviced and made an appearance at the inaugural show appearance of Chapel-en-le-Frith at the Leeds show last year - handily, a lot of the Gowhole stock suits the location / era of the latter layout so may well yet make further appearances in time.

post-16151-0-02286700-1471784684_thumb.jpg

There never was a 'last train' or a closure special per se; however, I did set up this little cameo showing a train taking the Hayfield branchline for the last time. The signal box here was a crude half relief effort, growing out of the cutting side of New Mills South Junction (on the other side of the divide). Apologies for the crummy quality of this and next few pix as I only had a Blackberry camfone handy on this evening.

post-16151-0-17045500-1471784711_thumb.jpg

Not long after, the track removal gang have moved in. No-one seems to have told the signalman however, who remains defiantly at his post.

post-16151-0-50713500-1471784728_thumb.jpg

This is the junction at New Mills Central (never scenically developed) showing how the Hayfield branch diverged off to the left.

post-16151-0-78801900-1471784777_thumb.jpg

It wasn't long before the whole of the junction at New Mills had gone too! Note the contrast between the relatively newly replaced foam ballast and the original which has inevitably perished after more than 20 years in situ.

post-16151-0-88053000-1471784792_thumb.jpg

Recovered track being stockpiled at Gowhole.

post-16151-0-18148900-1471784912_thumb.jpg

Coming up to date, this view shows the former site of Manchester Central station, which has just been removed. The remaining arch structure was the way of getting through to the mainline control panel (right background), Central station only being about two feet off the ground.

post-16151-0-39468400-1471784929_thumb.jpg

However, to end on a brighter note, here is Manchester Central having been safely manipulated down through the loft hatch and temporarily stored in the spare room downstairs. It always was the plan that this would be retrievable and, one or two minor pieces of damage apart, so it proved. This part of layout is set for a new life as the 'rest of the world' for my future Carlisle project. Interestingly though the foam ballast has started to break down on these tracks as well so there'll be quite a bit of work to get it ready for further use.

Hope the above is of some interest, even if a somewhat melancholy subject.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2012 at 13:11, LNER4479 said:

The infamous ICI hoppers make an early appearance (I made up 6 of them, resin castings from Peak Model shop in Buxton at the time).

I bought one of those (intended for the late but not lamented Hartford Junction) but never built it. It would have been easier to start from scratch.