Callington Branch

gazmanjack

G'day all,

As some of you know, I have been on the search/request for pictures and information regarding Callington Station at Kelly Bray. I would like to thank those who came to my aid and provided me with such info. The plan below is a revision of the track plan of Callington, towards its demise. Please note that some of the sidings have either been removed or realigned to fit the space I have to play with. I'm trying to keep most the important features of Callington in the layout, which include the station and overall roof, the engine shed, ground frames, goods shed, providors shed and a few private sidings, including a siding for a cattle dock. The plan was drawn up using Anyrail, which was a free download I gathered from another forum.

post-14327-0-84398900-1354950164.jpg

This gives a good idea of what I'm trying to achieve. The boards I'm building this upon are 510mm x 3020mm (1'*.5" x 10'). I have thought about going wider, upto 610mm (2'), which would give me a little more space for landscape detailing.

Cheers, Gary.

Best of luck Gary, look forward to further details as construction progresses,I presume 00 is the chosen scale? A fascinating branch which is still extant of course as far as the "new" station at Gunnislake- worth a ride if you are ever over this way!The only drawback if you are going to stick to the prototype motive power is a lack of variety- in SR/BR days-02 tanks,followed by ex LMS 2Ps, class 22 diesels and single car DMUs.(All of which are or will be available RTR!)Hmmm- perhaps I should change my layout's location! Best wishes, Tim.

Hi Tim,

Yes, the layout is OO. As for locomotives, I'm not that overly fussed, although I have an ever growing collection of SR locomotives, which include Schools, N15, Q1, T9 and when it arrives, the new Kernows 02 Tank. I'm waiting on the soon to be released Bachmann Ivatt Class 2MT which will fit in just nicely. I also have an old Hornby R157/158 DMU, which I'll eventually detail up, flushglaze windows, handrails etc etc, an old 2P and the Class 22 (which is still a good runner). Not everything is DCC, but that can wait for now.

The second stage (hopefully) will include either Gunnislake or Calstock, only time will tell, but I do like the idea of an island platform, hence Gunnislake...

Cheers, Gary.

What about the PDSWJR 0-6-2T's OTTOMH Lord St Levan and Earl of Mount Edgecombe? I thought they worked the freight into the mid-50's?

Ed

True. But at the moment I have what I have ! Originally I wanted to model something SR, preferably a branchline. After watching some documentaries about this branchline on Youtube, I researched the Callington Branch much more, which has led me to the stage I'm at now. In time, hopefully I will acquire the exact locos for this branch.

Cheers, Gary.

Gary,

Nice to see the research is paying off!

Just a thought have you got the paperback book Callington Railways written collectively by messrs Crombleholme, Gibson, Stuckey and Whetmath, published by Forge Books I S B N' 0 904662 23 3 ?

Publication dates in my copy are 1967 1985 & 1997 so it may be out of print but no doubt it is findable on a Google search.

Wally

Gary,

Nice to see the research is paying off!

Just a thought have you got the paperback book Callington Railways written collectively by messrs Crombleholme, Gibson, Stuckey and Whetmath, published by Forge Books I S B N' 0 904662 23 3 ?

Publication dates in my copy are 1967 1985 & 1997 so it may be out of print but no doubt it is findable on a Google search.

Wally

I picked up a copy this summer from PECO when visiting their exhibition at Beer.

Hi Wally, Hi Keith,

To be honest I do not have that paper back. With the information Kieith (thankyou Keith) has supplied, I will send Peco an email to see if I can obtain the book. Many thanks to you both.

Cheers, Gary.

For me, there is one thing that really sticks out - the arrow straight track between the goods shed and cattle dock.. Would it be possible to introduce a slight curve to match the rest of the track?

Thanks Simon, that is a good point. I must admit that I had not considered that and I may take your adice and curve it just slightly. Problem is that it will leave very limited space for the goods shed (GS), but allow a little more room for the provindors shed (PS). The goods shed does not have to be a full building as I can take the back third/half off. I'm positive that the station building will have a little off it too. My other option is to build on wider boards as I do have some 24" boards to spare (now). I have not built any buildings as yet. They will be built once the track is down, platforms in place and then I'll know what my remaining areas will be.

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul,

I have purchased that video from Aarchive Film, quite cheap I must say ! At only 12.59 GBP and no postage cost to Australia, it is a bargain ! I would appreciate the scan of the gound frame, as I'm also in the stage of drawing up the station building to scale from the plans I obtained from Network Rail. Then there is the goods shed, engine shed, etc...!

Cheers, Gary.

• 4 weeks later...

G'day all,

It has been quite some time since my last post regarding the layout. Finally I have started on Callington. As this layout is a slightly altered version of Callington, I have decided to name the layout 'Kelly Bray' . I know there is another layout on RMweb named Kelly Bray, but hey, it's a nice name, besides, it is where Callington Station is situated, or I should say, was situated !

So far, work has been going along quite smoothly, but I'm not rushing. All track is laid and dcc is hooked up. This weekend I will be preparing the control panel for the point motors. I am using a bunch of old Peco motors I have had around for some time, hooked up to simple push button switches, operated by an old 15v transformer. Nothing too technical ! Prior to hooking up the dcc, I trialled my wiring using a non dcc loco and a dc transformer. All went well, but the dccsystem  is so much better !

The layout is stretched over two x 5' 3/8" approximately, (1510mm) long boards, ex wardrobe doors. These doors are quite light in construction, being of a light pine frame sandwiched between 3mm ply. These have been secured to lengths of 18 x 42mm pine timbers.

post-14327-0-15623700-1363945210_thumb.jpg

Track all down, just waiting to paint rails and sleepers.

post-14327-0-79090400-1363945305_thumb.jpg

All wiring for dcc operation in place. I will be using an NCE Powercab for train operation. The red/green/white wires poking through the board is for the points.

After sorting out the wiring, painting of rails etc, it will be time for installing a platform and for the construction of the station building, engine shed, goods shed and provender stores. I'm sure this will keep me busy until the next update.

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day again,

Just completed the build of the goods shed ! I had recently purchased plans for the goods shed at Callington from Network Rail Media Store to work from. Having paid and downloaded the plan, it struck me that the plan is of the original weatherboard (clapboard) shed that existed prior to the corrugated iron shed which can be seen in books and dvds.  

Anyway, that wasn't going to stop me. Atleast I have a plan with measurements on it that I can transfer over to the corrugated shed. After printing, scanning, enlarging the plan, I got it to a decent size/scale to work off. I managed to scale it up to within 6" of the total length of the building. The internal dimensions of the shed are 40' x 20', which is the first starting point. Translating those measurements over to card, I made up the front/rear walls and the two end walls.

post-14327-0-91018500-1364808030_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-93756100-1364808219_thumb.jpg

Next step was to cut it all out (above) Once all was cut out, I realised that I did not have enough space on the layout for the whole shed. So some reducing of the end walls was needed. This inturn forced me to make another back wall, as the first was too short. Also the floor had to be cut down to fit. There will be no rear wall with windows or door on this new rear wall.

post-14327-0-15127500-1364808384_thumb.jpg

The pieces that were removed now became internal bracing supports for the floor and back wall. The end wall pieces were used to prop the floor and space the top of the rear wall. The floor section that was removed became a length-wise strengthening rib for the back wall.

post-14327-0-79409100-1364808556_thumb.jpg

Whilst all the glue was drying on the supports, it was time to glue some printed (Scalescenes) paper in place. This included the floor boards, the block work, timber edge to the door opening and a steel plinth below the floor boards in the doorway.

post-14327-0-97203900-1364808977_thumb.jpg

All good so far, so it was time to fit the back wall and clad the shed in corrugated card. The corrugated card is actually HO scale, but I ain't counting corrugations per foot to worry ! The bottom row was cut to a scale 8' strip and the top to a scale 6' strip. Window and door openings were cut out, then it was all glued into place. The two roof card pieces were cut and glued on.

post-14327-0-84801600-1364811738_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-23855800-1364809344_thumb.jpg

I then fitted the end barge boards prior to cladding the roof in iron. This time I decided to 'burnish' the back of the iron sheet to represent individual pieces of 2'6". Corrugated iron sheets came in sizes of 6', 8', 10' and were produced at 2'9" wide. This allowed 3" overlap, hence my 2'6"  scribed panels.

post-14327-0-25404600-1364809599_thumb.jpg

The next step, whilst all the above dried, was the constructing the wagon 'over roof'. I had no plans to go by with this, only a few old black & white photos. It is a simple design, basically a 'lean to' structure made of card, scale 6" timbers and corrugated card. I had to notch out the top of the post so that the iron sheering would sit flush with the card former and timber posts.

post-14327-0-59162600-1364809980_thumb.jpg

This 'over roof' was then painted along with the shed, including some weathering, rust and grime. As the paint was drying I took the time time make up the guttering. this was done the 'Scalescenes" way by using folded paper, glued, formed to an L shape, dried, then painted. Down pipes were made up of wire, bent to shape and painted accordingly.

All is dry so the attachment of the 'over roof' took place. Test fitting proved that I needed to trim the timber posts down approximately 6mm (scale 18"). This was then glued onto the shed. I then cut the guttering to length and attached it to the lower edge of the roofing iron on the shed. Then I fitted the downpipes.

The pic below is the outcome of a weekends work. The original (?) shed in the pic behind has different windows, but so did the original weatherboard shed ! I decided to go with what was 'close enough'. The same goes with the end wall windows. The originals were a 7 pane x 4 pane with the top two rows tappering with the gable roof ! I wasn't going there...

post-14327-0-41427600-1364810824_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with the two days I put into it !  Next is the station building with overall roof !   :scratchhead: Hmmm...! 

Cheers, Gary.

Some nice, effective modelling of the goods shed. Callington is an attractive and unusual prototype and I look forward to seeing your progress with it ....

What make were the windows you were using? They look like plastic, but seem very fine. 

David C

G'day David,

Thanks for the nice comment ! The windows are actually HO scale from the American maker Tichy Train Group and yes, they are plastic. I bought a box of 200 assorted windows and doors from a chap on ebay Australia. This, if I remember cost about $30 - $35.00 Au. There are some great looking windows in this box, although not OO, but does it really matter ?? I don't think so, as there are so many different types, sizes and shapes to choose from. There is always something in the box to do the job !

On the bottom of the page is their website : www.tichytraingroup.com Well worth a look.

Here is a pic with two of the assortment pages of the windowsand doors.

post-14327-0-64440800-1365056267_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• 1 month later...

I have finished work on my fiddle yard/sector plate. The sector plate measures approximately 44.5" and holds 3 short trains, ie, 3 car DMU, short mixed goods or loco and 3 coaches. It is constructed on an old light-weight wardrobe door, similar to the layout baseboards. The plate is 3mm MDF with the roads glued down using maxi-nails. I incorporated a rotarty switch to power each road individually. This also doubles up as a fail safe to stop any stray trains. The rotary switch has been wired as ; road 1, off/stop, road 2, off/stop, road 3, off stop. This way when ever there is a runaway, I can turn the switch to the right once (irrespective of road), to cancel out the power supply. I had thought about using an isolated piece of track with a momentary push button, but this way it saves running two sets of wires to each road. See here for operation ;

Apologies for my son's dvd playing in the background...

Cheers, Gary.

• 3 weeks later...

Well work has finally started on Kelly Bray station building. I had previously made a mock-up of the actual building in card so that I can measure out the overall roof, which covers the platform and line. The station building is copied off the plans of Callington I obtained (purchased) from Network Rail Media store. Having drawn up the frame of the overall roof to scale (OO), I then copied it several times to make up a set of templates to which I glued to a 6mm cork tile. See below

post-14327-0-54806900-1370431611_thumb.jpg

The next stage was to cut and shape several lengths of styrene to form up the cross bracing. Even though I used Evergreen Styrene (136), the closest to a scale 9" was there .030" x .125", which equates to .75 x 3.2mm. I could have used ES 135, but it I thought it was a tad too small at .75 x 2.5mm !  These pieces were arranged on the template, pinned in place and glued using Roket Max. Once the trusses are complete, they will be only 3mm wide, which will sit on the posts that are .125" (3.2mm) square, close enough to a scale 10" square post.

post-14327-0-57265500-1370432165_thumb.jpg

After allowing the cross brace to dry, I cut up more styrene for the roof bearers. Little spacers were glued in position on opposing sides to fill up the void between the cross brace and the bearers. The bearers were then glued onto the cross brace at the appropriate angle (30*), whilst still in the pinned templates. The pic below is of the 2nd side after the above mentioned had taken place.

post-14327-0-02778900-1370432458_thumb.jpg

Following this I will turn over the trusses and glue in the second set of roof bearers.

Well, that's it for now.

Cheers, Gary.

Well, all ten roof trusses are complete. The ends have been cut down to a whisker over the actual width, to allow for some final filing. The bottom points of the truss need to be squared off so that they sit flush with their posts. The next step will be to make up a jig that will allow me to sit them upright at equal 12' centres. This will allow the roof joists to be positioned properly longitudinally along the truss tops. I did consider attaching the posts first but the posts are different lengths as one side sits on the platform and the other side to the ground.

post-14327-0-14516100-1370518628_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been almost a month since I last posted, so here is an update on the overall roof. Since making up the frames I created a jig from card to hold all the trusses in place so that I could glue on the roof bearers.

post-14327-0-67990100-1372852802_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-82443100-1372852869_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-57695000-1372853095_thumb.jpg

Above, all bearers in place and whilst all the glue was drying, I made up the posts and cross bracing for the front side of the overall roof, below.

post-14327-0-39880900-1372853205_thumb.jpg

After a few days I got stuck into installing the 108 individual pieces of styrene for the glazing/sky lights on the platform side of the roof. Each piece was measured, cut, filed to fit. The top row was fairly straight foward whereas the lower row had a 30* angle cut into the base to fit the lower bearer properly.

post-14327-0-87553000-1372853550_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-14172400-1372853644_thumb.jpg

Above, with all the fiddly bits done, I gave myself a break. As you can imagine, these were not done in one sitting. Patience in a big way was needed ! At one stage, I thought that the barrel of patience was almost empty... I can tell you it was good to get them done !!

Only last Sunday I decided to glue the overall frame to the posts. I had to come up with a way to support the overall frame and posts at the same time. The answer was my son's Lego ! This saved me a lot of frustration as I didn't really want to glue one post at a time...

post-14327-0-27864600-1372854058_thumb.jpg

The last few weeks has resulted in this,

post-14327-0-94770300-1372854146_thumb.jpg

...a solid frame to fix more material to ! As can be seen, I made a card mock-up of the station building to guage how it shall look in the future. The pic below gives a good idea of the overall size with a Class 101 DMU under it.

post-14327-0-96884000-1372854323_thumb.jpg

Next stage will be sorting out the panel gable roof ends, the panel valance across the front, the glazing, roofing iron, barge boards, guttering etc, etc. And ofcouse the station building itself !

That's it for now, over 190 individual pieces of styrene stuck together... Hopefully it won't be another month before the next post.

Cheers, Gary.

Archived