ABS 57xx and 8750 pannier tanks (formerly Vulcan/Eric Underhill)

David Siddall

On numerous occasions I've admired models of 55xx and 8750 pannier tanks built from Vulcan/Underhill kits, kits which subsequently passed to the ownership of ABS Models. However I've been under the misapprehension that these kits were no longer available. This is clearly not the case as the proprietor of ABS has confirmed elsewhere on RMW that both are still very much available and that he has upgraded some of the whitemetal castings (see post from the proprietor yesterday, 13 Jan 2013).

A pannier would be the ideal loco for my first 7-mil layout and were it to represent the character of the prototype as well as these these photos I found in the RMW archive I'd be very happy indeed.

Now I've heard that both kits are suitable for beginners which appeals big time – if the words 'hippopotamus' and' tap-dancing' are rarely heard in the same sentence the same could be said of 'adept' and 'effective' in a description of my sheet-metal forming and soldering abilities!

What I'm hoping is that there might be a member or two out there – who have actually built one of these kits – who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences of doing so. It would certainly help me evaluate whether I'm up for giving one a go!

Fingers crossed...

David

PS: I think it's fair to say that had I contacted ABS (or visited a show they were attending) I could have easily found out that these kits were still available – could I ask that we therefore confine this thread to practical advice about a building one?

Here are two Vulcan Kit Built locos 57XX and Terrier built by me about 30 years ago.

post-185-0-14423700-1358160809.jpg

post-185-0-42934300-1358160922.jpg

The pannier is still going strong on Spinners End whilst the Terrier was built as for a fellow 0 gauge modeller.

Mike

Should have added that on the Pannier build I replaced the twin beam compensation with a single beam on the axle centres. The ABS version has a similar arrangement and the pannier tanks are crisper and far easier to solder as the original Vulcan panniers were heat formed and the very devil to clean.

Mike

Guest Isambarduk

"I replaced the twin beam compensation with a single beam on the axle centres."

I also replaced the intended twin beam.  I must update the page about my 57xx www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GWR_57xx.htm with new photographs and some more informative text; I'll try to take a photograph of the compensation arrangements.

David

http://www.davidlosmith.co.uk/images/RailwayModels/GWR_57xx.jpg

any chance of a photo of that compensation Mike?, no rush :)

The twin beams were soldered together fitted to a new pivot (simple rod and tube) and two spare bushes fitted to axles for the beam to act on. I have also just used a piece of rod instead of the etched beams bearing directly on the axles

post-185-0-14966700-1358187742.jpg

Hope this helps

Mike

...the pannier tanks are crisper and far easier to solder as the original Vulcan panniers were heat formed and the very devil to clean...

Oooo errr, I was under the impression (again possibly misguided?) that the tanks on the Vulcan/Underhill pannier were cast resin – a feature which would be rather appealing from a beginners point of view?

David

That's great news to me, Adrain at ABS is very helpful and I have a Vulcan 57xx kit to build too! maybe a joint build might be a plan ......

I'd be up for that mate... but only if I can gather enough information to ensure that I feel confident in having a go at one myself. If it turns out to be all-soldered construction with lots of shaping and forming it might be a bit ambitious at this stage :-/

D

I'd be up for that mate... but only if I can gather enough information to ensure that I feel confident in having a go at one myself. If it turns out to be all-soldered construction with lots of shaping and forming it might be a bit ambitious at this stage :-/

D

Piece of cake, go on you will enjoy it. There's plenty of us on here to offer any help, not that you'll need it.

Martyn.

Must have been having a senior moment when my (probably addled) memory suggested that the Vulcan/Underhill kits featured cast resin tanks then? Hey ho...

Beautifully built Mike...and just like a 57xx pannier should look.

Pete, Martyn, I somehow doubt that the term 'piece of cake' would apply in my case... I suspect it might be prudent to try an all-soldered wagon before I attempt a loco :-/

TTFN

David

Apologies David,

Re "piece of cake".

However if you have solder constructed before, I'm sure you will be able to construct the kit. If not, then as you suggest, try an etched wagon kit.

Having had a quick look at the assembly drawings the bunker sides etc are slot and tab anyway, which helps also.

Pete

Must have been having a senior moment when my (probably addled) memory suggested that the Vulcan/Underhill kits featured cast resin tanks then? Hey ho...

David

I believe that some of the Eric U kits DO have resin tanks/boilers. E.g. The 2021 saddle tank.

Dave

Cheers chaps... perhaps I might have a look at some etched wagon kits at the Bristol Show? Even though the ABS 57xx doesn't feature resin tanks it clearly 'can' be built into such a superb replica of the prototype that with your encouragement – once I've cracked soldering something a little more complex than a power feed – I'd certainly like to give one a try.

Trust you'll understand my reticence though, my modelling budget just wouldn't run to one that didn't turn into a useful contribution to my layout – the thought of a poor runner, or worse a box of unsaleable (as in poorly and partially completed) components in a box on the shelf just doesn't bear thinking about! Particularly with DJH's Class 14 on the horizon which they're saying will be a 'starter' kit along the lines of their 03, similarly priced and only requiring a minimum of soldered construction from what I can see :-/

David

PS: Dave, thanks for that info'... unfortunately the 2021 saddle tank wouldn't quite fit in with my layout plans :-/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Isambarduk

Last month I said:

"I must update the page about my 57xx www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GWR_57xx.htm with new photographs and some more informative text; I'll try to take a photograph of the compensation arrangements."

I have done this now and I have included a photograph and a description of how I modified the original compensation unit so that it was three-point and not four.

Hava a look at www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GWR_57xx.htm; I hope this helps but I'm happy to answer any questions.

David

• RMweb Gold

That's one handsome looking loco David, great pic's too – particularly the chassis close-up. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make a point of getting to a show ABS are attending.

David

Seconded, I hope my Vulcan version turns out half as good as that David, modelling perfection!

Guest Isambarduk

Thank you chaps for the great compliments!  It was one of my earlier finescale locos and, looking at it now, I'm not sure that I have improved in the nearly thirty years since! 

However, I smiled at the comment "it almost looks RTR!" and the thing is I think most RTR is great but I cannot seem to leave them just RTR.  As a salutary lesson, if you wish to see the depth of the 'affliction' that I have, do skim through: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_8F.htm   It’s quite safe to look, I do not believe that it is catching :-)

David

As a salutary lesson, if you wish to see the depth of the 'affliction' that I have, do skim through: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_8F.htm   It’s quite safe to look, I do not believe that it is catching :-)

David

Hi David,

I have spent many a time catching up on your topic on the GOG site, and what a good read it makes,  your engineering skills are way above mine.

And I think I would of gone for the MOK  8F personally, being the coward I am  :imsohappy: .

ATB,

Martyn.

David,

If all you are worrying about is your ability to solder I recommend you get some scrap etch from somewhere and just practice before spending too much cash.

If all else fails I have a considerable collection of offcuts and left overs, just put your adress in a P M and I will stick some in the post.

Anything to help me read your write up of the loco build!

Wally

That's a very generous offer Wally...  :-)

However I had a little revelation moment last weekend. My first attempts at soldering anything more sophisticated than a power feed were the two etched headcode boxes on my Easybuild 121 DMU and they went together fairly well. Nothing mangled in the folding (the indicator-box fronts are very delicate), the boxes ended up the shape they're supposed to be (and stayed together) and no fingers were singed in the attempt. I might just call that a first round result!

An etched wagon kit beckons next I think, and if I'm still feeling confident after that (and DJH's new Class 14 hasn't hit the shelves by then) I think I might just feel compelled to give ABS a call. I've only ever had one layout in the last twenty-odd years which hasn't featured a 'pannier' and I'm starting to suffer from withdrawal symptoms ;-)

David

Archived