Om Bemo 1:45 Gbk-v van review

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

If you baulk at the prices of Hornby then this probably isn't for you ;)

The Bemo Om RhB vans have arrived.

The price certainly made me think twice being more than LGB at £120 each! I reconciled that as I'd acquired the coaches cheap I could afford to indulge as I wouldn't need many. The Bemo quality and pictures so far were my guarantee ;)

Well here's what you get on opening the boxes.

3631C082-0E29-41C3-AC7B-E34962EE7792-172

38E1A6CD-069F-4CF9-A005-C8CEB3D142A0-172

Stout well protected and easy to get in and out, plus the wagon looks good already.

17247B1A-AB2A-4528-B29F-FC7C48209E80-172

Out of the box and it looks and feels well made yet very finely detailed. Note the kadee couplers as standard and it includes scale buffers with springs for finescale users, there's also an option to fit the Fama / Alpinline wire couplers as seen below. I've not decided what to go with as I prefer the classic buffer but want the option of remote operation that kadees offer.

899D7971-0589-4F2A-AD65-3A7F71D669E4-172

The Fama kit is a separate set.

4CB70307-244B-4D61-B6C8-9213B0A1733B-172

Underneath is exquisite with lots of separate details. Bit over the top for operation but you can see why the price is so high with this amount of hand applied detail.

BA763591-1A1D-4E68-8072-29CF61E58F10-172

672759ED-ED1D-4F3E-9A0F-A7DE584D484F-172

Opening vents with multiple locking points.

B45FECDD-8870-467A-B482-12620EBBFD21-172

Doors

2652AB4D-4025-4FB4-8CDB-F16DAA49EB45-172

Nice and fine

9F0234C2-A6DA-46FB-811B-7C1B388F8C76-172

Open the latch (very carefully)

3191C8C1-BE6F-47DF-BD49-7CFFC46302F1-172

And open the door.

Overall? Well it's certainly a stunning model well beyond the HOm version but would omitting a bit of the underframe detail save a significant lump of the price? The obvious hand assembly makes me wonder how much this has added. Personally I think they've catered to the ABG customers who have £3000 to spend on a loco and I'm wary of the cost of the Ge4/4 and Tm as a result.

If you we're to 3D print something this size and then get it detailed and painted I certainly think you'd reach this price anyway but I think a resin cast model sacrificing some detail to bulk up the roster might be worth investigating for the layout.

I might have to buy the Cargo Domizil version for the paint job ;)

12D37C82-1562-45B5-9E56-DA0EBCDF46EF-172

• RMweb Gold

It's painted Pete and the price is at the top ;)

Yes as with anything as workaday as these weathering improves them. The lighter brown van could do with a matt varnish first too. The darker brown is pretty spot on as it is.

Clearly a very nice model indeed!

However,

From the looks of it, I'd say that is made in the same Chinese factory that makes models for Lenz, Atlas, AMS (American Model Supply!) - I have examples of all these and they exhibit the same "look", of course - I may be wrong! The wheels in particular look to have a family profile?

Assuming that I'm not wrong however, none of the companies I mentioned sell roughly equivalent models at anywhere near Bemo's price - Lenz is probably closest at approximately £80 for a similar vehicle.

Not a criticism of you Paul, no way but I just find Bemo charge the maximum they possibly can and I personally won't touch their stuff because of that.

Sorry to sound negative as it is a very nice model. Please forgive me if this is actually made in EU or Switzerland, of course!

0m would certainly appeal to me from a Greek perspective!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Valid points John and yes I do actually agree, and you're right I found a very small made in China eventually! I certainly wouldn't start in Om with that sort of price but as I've spent 18 months slowly acquiring stuff cheap with an average of £20 per coach I figured I could be extravagant with the proceeds from selling some LGB. I only wanted a few vans and I'm seriously looking at producing some other stuff from scratch or in 3D printing then resin casting from it.

With ABG and a couple of others as the only option at this level of detail these are actually the cheap option! Personally I'd lose some of the hidden underframe detail and the working hatches and door and just have them glued into one position. The Bemo ones might be the feature models for a posed scene where the extra detail can be appreciated when they are shunted into the siding.

It does confirm my suspicion though that the locos may be LGB prices or higher so they will have to be pondered when we know.

Thanks Paul!

I'm glad I didn't put your nose out of joint with my comments there!

Mind, at 20 quid a coach, you have made a great start so the odd more expensive vehicle is much easier to handle!

I knew I recognised those wheels and the general moulding quality (& it is quality!).

Amazing these are the cheap option!!! Are the other hand-built brass?

I would definitely be on the lookout for bargains in the loco department!

My local friendly dealer has a couple of customers who make rash purchases, then take their purchases back after only a short while. Tim is very honest and even if the box is unopened, he will sell it at approximately half price - sometimes one can get lucky with these things!

Not that I ever do this, of course!!! Ha, ha, ha!

On my last visit, I was waiting for a valuation and kept looking at the Bemo H0m steam locos - OUCH!!! Naughty but very, very nice!

I've got enough interests for now!

Cheers,

John E.

....On my last visit, I was waiting for a valuation and kept looking at the Bemo H0m steam locos - OUCH!!! Naughty but very, very nice!

I once got seriously tempted and actually bought a BEMO G4/5, which may be one of the engines you looked at. It was eye-wateringly expensive, and I have never pushed the boat out since. I have kept it, though, as a visible reminder never to do that again!

The full size G4/5 nr.108 celebrated its 100th birthday at Landquart on the very day that I happened to be passing through on a train to Davos-Platz!

Reasonable value given the moveable parts.

The 'Kiss' equivalent were £135-ish each and they are a one-piece moulding (no opening doors or vents) including the footsteps which break off simply because they are exactly at the point where you would pick up the wagon. I re-attach them with clear plastic sheet.

Okay so I paid 'only' an average of £70 each for my seven 'Kiss' vans; maybe that price reflects better value for a 'cabinet display' model.  Or sellers were off-loading them.

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately the Bemo ones are quite resilient despite being where you pick it up Bob.

I certainly think your current experiment might be worth investigating to produce masters but I'm going to have a chat with Kevin Trim about casting something with etch roofs and cast axle boxes. Need to expand the range of artwork for transfers though !

Archived