AJM Railways and Bachmann

DadExtraordinaire

Saw this today on Bachamann's site http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=84&vis=2

and I wondered how many other "retailers" are not legitimate Bachmann Approved (is there a list of non-approved Bachmann suppliers) and should I, as a returning / new modeller be worried, when I purchase any engine from these "non-approved" outlets? Will my warranty not be valid etc? I noticed that the company concerned, AJM Railways, is supplying an overseas market from their blurb on their website....

Guest dubdee1000

BIt of an odd one.  She seems to have done quite a bit of trade on ebay and now has developed her own website.  Her prices don't seem to be desperately cheap, but are inclusive of postage and credit charges.  I wonder if some of the non-UK members may enlighten us.

http://www.ajmrailways.com/index.html

• RMweb Gold

Probably all part of the battle to keep discounting etc under a tighter rein and thus give their legitimate retailers with costly overheads for premises etc a decent crack of the whip.  I don't know about Bachmann but Hornby say they will only supply retailers who have a proper retail premises through which what they supply is sold (I understand however that Hornby's toy trade wholesaler might not be quite so fussy).

Guest dilbert

... I wondered how many other "retailers" are not legitimate Bachmann Approved (is there a list of non-approved Bachmann suppliers) and should I, as a returning / new modeller be worried, when I purchase any engine from these "non-approved" outlets? Will my warranty not be valid etc? I noticed that the company concerned, AJM Railways, is supplying an overseas market from their blurb on their website....

There is obviously a Bachmann channel retail issue given that Bachmann has issued the note on their own website.

Concerning warranty related support, Bachmann has clearly stated their position. As for a list of unapproved stockists... why should this be necessary? Bachmann Europe list their approved stockists by product line here -> http://Bachmann.co.uk/ukstock.php - drill down for detail... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

I think they are saying because they are falsely claiming to be approved which means people will go to Bachmann as the retailer has no warranty agreement and probably won't accept warranty returns making Bachmann look like the culprit.

Bachmann just protecting themselves.

Probably all part of the battle to keep discounting etc under a tighter rein and thus give their legitimate retailers with costly overheads for premises etc a decent crack of the whip.  I don't know about Bachmann but Hornby say they will only supply retailers who have a proper retail premises through which what they supply is sold (I understand however that Hornby's toy trade wholesaler might not be quite so fussy).

I believe that Bachmann likewise only supply retailers with shop premises. Clearly AJM is an internet-only operation so presumably they are not permitted a Bachmann account and obtain any such stocks through the 'grey' market. It doesn't necessarily make them a bad retailer but Bachmann are understandably keen to protect their authorised distribution network. There may also be an issue with this seller's focus on export which of course would impact on Bachmann's local distributors in places such as Australia.

There is obviously a Bachmann channel retail issue given that Bachmann has issued the note on their own website.

Concerning warranty related support, Bachmann has clearly stated their position. As for a list of unapproved stockists... why should this be necessary? Bachmann Europe list their approved stockists by product line here -> http://Bachmann.co.uk/ukstock.php - drill down for detail... dilbert

Thank you for the "approved list" It is greatly appreciated, i wasn't aware of one. I have made several hundreds of pounds purchases over the last few months and I'm slightly worried now as I may not have warranty on some of the models I bought. I wish now I had done a bit more research on retailers....

Statement in Response from AJMRailways:

I think it is fair that I am given an opportunity to explain things here and hence have joined your Forum and membership. Let me explain the domain of my Ebay account to be (with Ebays full blessing) registered in Australia at a relatives address with items listed there being clearly shown as posted from the UK. Ok that is that earlier issue I hope clarified.

The website (AJMRailways) was set up as a result of the demand from our Australian Customers for a more diverse range of product and hence inquiries and subsequent relationships were formally established with a number of UK based companies dealing in OO and where relevant, HO products (Kibri, Vollmer etc). The website and its items are exempt from UK VAT based on my application to HMRC for such status. Totally legitimate and hence the reason the prices and transactions are in $, not UK £ and hence no UK or EU purchase can be made.

I asked Bachmann to consider the website for a possible "Dealership" and they said No on account of the absence of a retail premises/shop here in the UK. Understandable, given the state of our High Street but no point to Me in opening a High Street shop given the VAT status of the business and inability to trade with UK Customers (and EU). Re Hornby, they likewise for same reasons said No and referred us to a wholesaler in UK. The relationship with that wholesaler has been excellent and I dare say if I asked Hornby for "Dealership" they would quite possibly oblige (orders placed/paid for amount to over £100K in this last 12 months). But the  wholesaler in question I think, deserves my loyalty.

Of the 4 Hornby returns from Australia, all have been replaced (over 3000 items posted there from the site). No issues with Hornby... I simply took the return and sent back to the Wholesaler (presumably they return to Hornby)

Re Bachmann, a few of our Customers asked for some Locomotives and if I could source them. To oblige I did and purchased them here in the UK, deducted the VAT, listed them and then placed an appropriate figure for the cost plus postage and some margin of profit.

Nothing above is illegal or "wrong" .. why should a Customer in Australia pay above the going rate because the (many) UK seller websites claim back the VAT and do not pass it on to the Customer (please bear in mind the Customer in AU is liable to GST on the import on top)

Bachmann with no prior warning have made a post on their Home Page the initial title being "Retailer falsely claims to be Bachmann approved". Nothing on my website ever said this. No inference was ever made to this effect. After emails to Bachmann they changed the underlying content of the message to reflect this, in part. The headline was not changed after the first contact with them but the content was. AFTER legal advice I again contacted them, they have since changed the title to "Non Approved online Retailer" a significant difference to "Non Approved Retailer ,,".

I am not a liar ("Falsely Claims to be ..") nor have I ever said I was a Bachmann Approved Stockist. Simply, I offered (legitimately purchased) Bachmann Locomotives as requested to my Australian Customers. Bachmann on call today said they had had a number of returns from my Customers due to Faults and were having to pay for returning the amended situation to the Customer .. not a single Customer has contacted me confirming this and on email reply not a single Customer has said there was an issue to return about .. )

If that is wrong, I will amend. However, Counsel advises it is not.

The situation is thus

- Customers who visit my website (ex EU) are not charged VAT, the items they purchase reflect this

- I do not wish to become involved in the "mirky" world of UK Train deals where there seems to be a great deal of "backstabbing" and "sub deals". I am here to supply non UK/EU Customers with the products that like you in the UK are enjoying nothing more, nothing less

In the event of a return of a Bachmann item, any Customer reading this is advised as follows

1. I will refund you and your postage costs

2. Where possible I  will replace,if not refund in Full including postage

3. No attempt is, or has ever been, made to suggest I am an Approved Dealer in said product

4. Of course, to the 200 or so who have purchased the Locomotives thus far purchased I am happy you did so in a satisfactory manner. Bachmann have refused thus far to divulge any information to substantiate the claim they made of Returns attributed to purchase from my website?!

Regardless of the amended and previous "posts" on the Bachmann site, under advice, I intend to pursue the matter,

I hope this clarifies this situation and where possible answers the questions thus far on the Forum ...

As one of you guys kindly put it "read next episode here on .." or words to that effect (please understand I am typing this following legal advice so my normal high spirits cant be reflected here!)

Oh and for the avoidance of doubt ,, Woman in a Trains World .. Yes and Proud of It .. with my Husbands approval  :no: Yes thats why I started this web and internet business ... and his Cousin in Austalia 

Thanks for reading this and hope it clarifies the position

Amanda

Archived