Castle to North Star 4-4-2

Looks like this one will turn out to be worth waiting for! Not that I didn't think it would be but it was quite a long wait...

Nice one Stefan!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Stefan, not to worry, we can wait. I understand the Sistine Chapel took time too :-)

Mikkel, don't forget, they had to do it all off scaffolding, so unless Stefan has taken to modelling off stilts with an airbrush it's looking fine!

P.S.

If you are on stilts Stefan I take my hat off to you sir!

Grahame

Newsflash, I just compared the loco with the tender. The loco is to dark and it won't do, f###!!! Here we go again.

Stefan,

Why not try leaving the tender in the tunnel then they might both look the same colour? Sorry !

Just out of interest, the small? matter of lining, I have just received an Easi-Liner pen ( Peter Spoerer ) which looks like it might be a useful addition to the tool box. I haven't used one before but having used and worn out soooo many Rotring pens in my working life it might just be what the doctor ordered. Just have to remember not to have a bottle of wine too close by, steady hand and all that !

Grahame

I too have the easi-liner, but I haven't had much luck with it.  I find that the smaller nibs (ie- the ones most useful) keep clogging up, with the result that I get a big bleed of paint to start, and then nothing immediately afterward.  Perseverence is key to mastering the tool I guess but I lost heart after a few near-disasters. 

Thanks Grahame!

This last coat of paint will, hopefully, be a close match to the tender after the lining is applied.

I will take a look at the Easi-Liner pen, sounds interesting.

Regards,

Stefan

I too have the easi-liner, but I haven't had much luck with it.  I find that the smaller nibs (ie- the ones most useful) keep clogging up, with the result that I get a big bleed of paint to start, and then nothing immediately afterward.  Perseverence is key to mastering the tool I guess but I lost heart after a few near-disasters.

I used the Uni-Posca paint pen on this loco. I found it to work well as long as there was an edge to follow. On a flat surface, I couldn't do anything with it.

Regards,

Stefan

I used the Uni-Posca paint pen on this loco. I found it to work well as long as there was an edge to follow. On a flat surface, I couldn't do anything with it.

Regards,

Stefan

I would agree with that.  My last loco I used paint pens for the 'flat' bits of lining- the tender and cabside panels- and didn't even go near the boilerbands with them.  They like to wander, given half the chance. 

I think in olden days they use to let the paint down with lighter fuel then charge the pen it made the paint run evenly, is there anyone on here that knows that trick ?.

I've heard about it, never tried. The old tricks are usually the best though.

Regards,

Stefan

I've heard about it, never tried. The old tricks are usually the best though.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

81C is quite correct, when I worked at the drawing board in a previous life with "technical pens" lighter fluid was used to help with the flow of ink onto the tracing paper being used. Then along came Mr.Rotring with his pens and inks which made a tremendous difference.

If anyone is or considering using an Easi-Liner pen I would advocate using lighter fluid to aid the flow of the paint which should be enamel used straight from the tin ( fresh ideally).

Regards

Oh! And happy modelling !

Hey Stefan,

I know it's a bit off topic but, that viper your daughters found, it'll probably have been harmless anyway , I reckon it was a Vinscreen Viper that'd fallen off your car !

Ok! I'll get my coat...........

That Stefan is superb, or should it be fantastic or simply wonderful, I want one.

I have two Wills saints and one is earmarked for this conversion and now having followed this conversion religiously from start to finish I can see ways of overcoming a few issues I was worried about, I still have all that information you sent me last year too so it should be easy for me. When I get time that is. :)

Be proud of it Stefan, there is no reason not to be.

Thanks Gents!

I'm looking forward to your Atlantic, Jim, whenever you decide to start the project.

I would use a GBL- boiler/firebox and a Kitmaster cab if starting today, but overall I'm pleased (and relieved) to have a model of North Star!

Regards,

Stefan 

Hi Stefan,

This is simply beautiful - a wonderful piece of work! It is so nice to be able to see this legendary machine 'in the round' as you can only get so much of a 'feel' for it from pictures. I look forward to the 28XX beastie being finished!

Lovely job good sir!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Stefan,

It strikes me that he only thing you are missing is some real coal for your tenders and bunkers. How about I get a piece from Didcot and send it to you? Ok it's not 'authentic' as such but I'll take it straight off No. 5322's tender so from one Churchward locomotive to another...

PM me your address and I will pop it in the post.

All the best,

Castle

Archived