Ripple lane fuelling point shed

class37418stag

Hi, no track plan I'm afraid but I do have a couple of poor quality scans from the mid-eighties that show locos stabled at Ripple Lane.

post-8918-0-19549100-1361093978_thumb.jpg

08s 531, 698 and 689.

post-8918-0-79553100-1361093989_thumb.jpg

47288 and possibly 37168 and 37097.

I hope this is correct but I am relying on notes I wrote at about the age of 13.

Regards

Mark

Hi Andrew

no track plan but you may be able to make use of this shot of Ripple Lane

I think it was taken from the west end approach road if my memory is not playing tricks

post-7081-0-44608500-1361096964_thumb.jpg

Locos at Ripple Lane include 2 08s, 2 37s and 5 47s, 27/7/84

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Ripple lane was one of several sub sheds to Stratford Depot. It serviced locos, which included refueling, topping up boiler water tanks*, sand boxes, engine oil and rest for the drivers. As Andy says it was limited to A exams and light repairs. The loco stores and office block building also appears to have been a garage for BR road vehicles. Have a look at Bing Maps birds eye view for details of the buildings.

post-16423-0-34559200-1361312686_thumb.png

Have a look on the OLD Maps website http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html co-ordinates 547270 and 183260 for the track plan and surrounding lines.

* It was primary a freight loco shed but locos working to it could have worked a steam heated passenger train since that were last serviced.

Two of the Hornby R8006 sheds would make the main engine shed as built. In the 80s doors were added and each end had a small extension that had a sloped corrigated area above the doors, thus losing the nice glass ends.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

My reference to water for train heating boilers comes from information regarding all of the sub sheds for Stratford when they were new and locos could be serviced at any of the sheds (and others on the ER) depending on the diagram they were working and in the 1960s this could have included some passenger workings. Of course as time went by and steam heated coaches disappeared and working diagrams changed then the need for Ripple Lane to water locos diminished.

Was the breakdown crane still there when you worked there? If so any information or photos of the tool and riding coaches?

I have just done a quick measurement of the layout, to do it justice it would be 20 feet long in 4mm, and its a small shed.

• 2 years later...

I can see one on the plan above, right in front of the fuel tanks.

Track plan can be had by going to Old-Maps online, enter Ripple Lane, click on the building marked depot at the end of the cul-de-sac called Box Lane, choose the 1973 1:1250 map, there it is.

• RMweb Premium

I can see one on the plan above, right in front of the fuel tanks.

Track plan can be had by going to Old-Maps online, enter Ripple Lane, click on the building marked depot at the end of the cul-de-sac called Box Lane, choose the 1973 1:1250 map, there it is.

Hi Jeff

The above track plan was traced from the old maps site, I think I used an earlier map when the hump was still in use.

Archived