Coal empties for the ECML

Loxborough

• RMweb Premium

Right, thanks for the commments, guys. I kind of knew they had to be redone, but still had to be told...

And here they are;

post-8535-0-34520200-1383036929_thumb.jpg

post-8535-0-79157200-1383036959_thumb.jpg

The eagle eyed emong you will have noticed an imposter in the photo of all three diagram 72s. This was a micro-project I slipped in while waiting for bots for the hoppers. Based on the Dapol 9 plank, which, as they say, has a pretty good body but slightly ropey legs (!) So, some cosmetic surgery was called for.

post-8535-0-76778700-1383037112_thumb.jpg

post-8535-0-72192300-1383037175_thumb.jpg

Also, needed some strapping on the insode. I suspect that this is a little over the top, and some bolt heads might have sufficed, but I was enjoying myself...

post-8535-0-35173800-1383037249_thumb.jpg

We then fast forward to completion;

post-8535-0-91906300-1383037285_thumb.jpg

post-8535-0-07979100-1383037450_thumb.jpg

Two wagons to go and the train will be complete...

George

Wow, superb wagons, now that you've fixed them they look amazing, along with the Dapol 9 plank, well done.

I'm sorry if I've missed it (I will look over the thread just in case) but what glue do you use to attach your brass parts onto plastic body?

Can't wait for the next wagons.

Nelson

• RMweb Premium

Can't you make the Dapol into a pretty close approximation of a loco coal wagon (I forget the diagram) George?

Aha, you clearly have some sort of Crystal ball. Next train will be a class D goods, and after that there will be a loaded coal train, including a good rake of loco coal wagons of various sorts. I have already started experimental work on one Dapol 9 plank and have three of the Hattons bargain ones without lettering ready to go...

As for the hairspray, I hadn't seen that article (don't tend to do mags very much; get irritated at the very low ratio of interesting/informative stuff to adverts/stuff I am not interetsed in) but may search it out if it promises an improvement on the technique I am using, thanks. 

G

• RMweb Premium

Sneak preview for Mr Wealleans.

post-8535-0-18020100-1383040821_thumb.jpg

I seem, on inspection, to have stuffed this up, though. It was going to be to diag 77 (2 side doors, 8 planks, no end door) thus all the end door gubbins stripped off, but I now notice that the doors on the diag 77 are totally different. Hmm, I will have to think about what to do with this. Going on the shelf for the time being, though, while I get the class D freight train built. 

George

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if it figures in the book in question, but the diag 44 is, as you say, a pretty good match for the Dapol body. Just needs the top plank taking off, as do all the LNER/GNR Loco coal wagons of this type; apparantly the screens on the collieries in the GNR area were lower than elsewhere. This will cause difficulties with then end door mechanism, but nothing insoluble. I certainly plan to knock out a couple of them, it's just that I was planning to do some 77s as well, for which I am going to have to work out a solution for the side doors...

Best,

G

• RMweb Premium

what glue do you use to attach your brass parts onto plastic body?

Sorry, Nelson, I overlooked this question. Simple answer is that I use superglue. You need to be quick about lifting things off again if they are not right, and it often causes mess (see the interior strapping on the Dapol 9 plank) so don't use this method on anything that you are not going to paint, but generally I find it is OK.

Also, it is very easy to put too much on, in which case it will go everywhere and you will end up stuck to your model. Like a lot of people, I thus tend to use a pin to apply it.

Hope this helps,

George

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any new wagons for this thread or have you made a new one that I don't know about? Always really liked your updates and superb wagons.

Nelson,

Sorry missed your post; I have been running around in southern Ethiopia looking at substations for a while, and checking on RM Web has been pretty low on my list of priorities, I am afraid.

No, no wagon updates. I have been doing some work on the layout thread (Meakin Bros, see below) but it has been slow and not very photo friendly stuff (lots of wiring) so have not posted much recently at all.

I am, though, home for a while in late Aug and am really hoping to make decent progress on the layout...

Best,

G

• 1 month later...

'Afternoon...

This is the first thread I've stumbled on since 'work' and a couple of career changes took me away from 'hoppers' a few years ago -- I just haven't had the time since, sadly (though given some of my old posts a few of you may well not think that quite so "sad"...). 

But now I'm back.  (Sorry...) 

And this -- wow : what a great thread -- the work's extraordinary.  Lovely. 

Thanks

--

John

Archived