King's Oak, an experience building mini-exhibition layout

wombatofludham

Well, here's my first layout topic!

King's Oak began about 18 months ago when the Fairbourne Village Hall decided to hold a second collectors and model railway fair.  At the time I was vice chair of the Village Hall committee so I felt it was time to try and make a small exhibition layout.  At the time I was planning to acquire a model railway shed (now up and awaiting insulation) so I felt I could kill several ornithological creatures with a single igneous missile by trying out new scenic techniques, having a go at kit bashing buildings, and build up some experience in DCC sound.

I wanted to do a simple suburban station as I do like the recent DMU models from Bachmann and Hornby.  I also absolutely hate shunting.  It bores me to tears.  Sorry, but that's how it is.  Also, I really don't like seeing modern suburban stations with goods yards or factory sidings.  Wagonload traffic has virtually disappeared and even in the Midlands it's rare to see yards on suburban stations.  I find it highly amusing that modellers can get very sniffy about not being a modeller if you can't hand knit your own track, then turn a blind eye to the operational nonsense of having a private factory siding behind their station as an excuse to run the kind of freight operation that died out on BR in the 1970s, but I digress.  I personally don't find dmu's boring and I wanted to celebrate their contribution to the real business of the railway - shifting loads of self loading cargo efficiently, cost effectively and regularly, rather than amusing gricers.

The first plan was to replicate a station based on Hednesford on the Chase line, as I had worked at Centro in Birmingham for ten years and regularly used this and the Cross-City line, but I'd set myself several constraints.  There could be no more than three boards, two "backstage" fiddle yards and a central "stage set", and no board could exceed 1176mm by 500mm so they could fit on the back seat of my Saab, which was fine for a four car DMU but not a 30+ MGR load, so the Chase line idea was revised.  I then decided I'd invent a scenario where, as part of the (real) South Birmingham multi-modal study a branch was re-opened mid way between Dorridge and Widney Manor to try and take pressure off the M42 corridor.  As this was the rough location of the fictional TV village of King's Oak, famous for the "Crossroads Motel", so the model became King's Oak.

The plan was to construct the layout in time for the show in March 2012 and put it on display, but it didn't work out that way.  Firstly I decided to change the plan to a terminus with a second scenic board featuring "Crossroads" leading to a single fiddle yard. I also started late, so last year I exhibited a "work in progress" which because I rushed it sadly lacked some things I would have liked to put in.

Then real life intervened and nothing more happened until late last year.  By then I'd changed my mind and decided to go for a through station once again, so all the track and platforms had to be ripped up and rebuilt.  The track plan was boringly simple for speed of set up and ease of operation: just two parallel tracks and lots of hand-of-God shuffling of stock.  The idea was the train would enter the station and run out again.  No complicated pointwork, sector plates or anything like that as there was no real need.  The emphasis was to be on plenty of trains moving to a speeded up timetable sequence simply as entertainment for an audience that would comprise a lot of ordinary folk who would find proper timetable adherance boring.  After all, if you've paid admission and you've just arrived five minutes after the 10.20 to Birmingham Snow Hill has left, you don't want to be standing looking at an empty platform until the next departure in 20 minutes.  It was also an opportunity to show to people who may not be aware of DCC sound just what a difference it can make, especially if combined with background environmental sounds.

The layout was also an opportunity to refresh modelling skills, try out new techniques and hone my kit-bashing skills.  For example, the station needed a typical Transmark-Centro staffed brick chalet type station building, and I was fortunate to see a Faller bike hire shop kit advertised on a website.  Although the original kit was designed to replicate "crinkly tin" cladding, I thought if clad with brick plasticard it could look the part - so the King's Oak booking office was born out of a German bike hire shop and some cheap but very well made Chinese brick plasticard!  Other kits were built up and adapted for new uses, to recreate a modern redevelopment of the old station goodsyard for housing, shops and a library, mainly from kits I'd bought many hyears ago for abortive projects.  The aim was to try and create something that looked the part.  One of the more esoteric items I used was some ornate Chinese made plastic fencing.  One of my real life roles at Centro was commissioning artists to design fencing and other features on new and rebuilt station, and this particular design of fence - which had a tree-like motif in the fence panels to replicate ornate ironwork - immediately struck me as being just right for an artist designed fence celebrating the "King's Oak", so the station fully complies with the contemporary PTA Public Art policy thanks to a cheap e-Bay purchase!

I deliberately decided to present the layout "en plein air", without a backscene, or scenic breaks onto the fiddle boards.  I did this partly for logistical reasons, but also because I'm not convinced that a backscene or scenic break actually helps unless you completely screen the fiddle yard areas and build a theatrical style proscenium arch to frame the layout.  If you don't, you still see the rougher fiddle yards and stock sidings - so why bother trying to hide it?  It comes down to personal choice I suppose, but for me, it was easier to leave them off.

post-10456-0-17840300-1364064820.jpg
post-10456-0-86937600-1364064822.jpg
post-10456-0-97938100-1364064825.jpg
post-10456-0-75458800-1364064828.jpg

post-10456-0-33768700-1364064817.jpg

So today (23rd March) the operational King's Oak finally made it's debut at the 2013 Modeller's fair, only 12 months late.  Which is probably par for many of the projects I used to work on, but it's working.  I had to make do with just three items of sound equipped rolling stock, a new Hornby Class 67 with two Heljan Cargowaggons and an EWS VGA running as a trip freight to a warehouse further up the line, a Centro Class 150, a Central Trains 153, as I'd not had time to convert some of my other stock, but everyone was fascinated by the use of sound on board the trains and didn't seem to mind the fact that every service was either a 150 or a 153!  I also bought a £16 Bush mp3 player with external speaker and had it playing birdsong and ambient sounds of people talking, walking and going to the shop.  Again, people found it engaging and one or two modellers who did attend asked how to do it - so I expect a few more layouts may yet acquire ambient backing tracks!

Am I pleased with the result? Not completely.  In my haste I didn't install working street, platform and building lights, which was daft as I's detailed up the interior of the supermarket and station building but you can't see them.  When I build my shed layouts, I will include working lights.  My ballasting is woeful, I need to practice more or look for alternatives!  I think I should also have included working signals on the platform ends, not all suburban stations have platform starters but it would have been something of interest for the punters.  Some of my finishing is poor, again the changes of plan were a factor but I do feel that I know where I went wrong and most people didn't notice, and some of the wonky fencing was the result of transit damage to the hall, thanks to the exceptional gales we've had today!  Other things though worked well - the trees from the Model Tree Company are excellent and good value, the instant flower beds and borders were a good buy and the grass mat ideal for manicured lawns in a jiffy.  I was also pleased with how well the building kits went together and I found the painting and weathering enjoyable, helped in part by my other hobby of painting (pictures) which meant I could access acrylics and pastels which work really well on buildings.  Overall as a refresher and experiment in new techniques and digital operation it's been well worth it and to be honest I don't really care if others think it's boring or a load of tat, it's been well recieved by visitors to the show and given me the chance to get some practice before starting on my permanent shed layouts.

Next year, after a bit of tidying and some stock renewals, I'll probably backdate the station from circa 2006 to 1990, to allow the new Centro liveried "Sprinters" to work alongside the last of the Tyseley heritage units which were still in service at the time.  It'll be more varied, it's a good excuse for a 31 or 37 hauled trip freight with maximum noise and it's a period I enjoyed a lot, although the patch and make do heritage unit lash-ups were less welcome when you wanted to get home of an evening as they were invariably unable to keep Sprinter timings although they tried hard!

Liking the look of the layout simple yet effective, like the idea of the backing track, David

Thanks David.  If you fancy having a go at environmental sound effects, there are a couple of free sound effect websites where people upload recordings for people to use non-commercially, and by using freeware Audacity sound mixing software you can over-lay several tracks to create a suitable mix.  Save them as an MP3 file and you can just drag and drop them onto any MP3 player.  If you fancy using them on a permanent layout, an MP3 player connected to permanent external speakers should give a very good sound quality which would compliment DCC sound fitted locos, otherwise a portable player with built in speaker like the Argos Bush example I used is good - or if you have a smart phone, that could work as a player.  I think it's worth a try, a surprising number of people commented on my effort and many said they found the sound of birdsong quite relaxing!

Well done Mark on getting to an exhibition with your own work, it's something I've always wanted to do myself but I've never got around to finishing my own many attempts. Having heard you mention "Kings Oak" on the occasions we've met up I've enjoyed looking through your pictures. The level of detail you've included with the Library and residential housing is superb and I'll be sure to tap you up for advice with my own project ( layout No 6 or is it No 7??)

Simon

Cheers Simon, you'll be amused to know part of the "ambient environmental" backing track was a 9 minute recording someone made of Seaford Park Road and uploaded to a free sound effect site, including people walking past, talking, going in and out of shops etc, and the seagulls.  Next time I'm down you must show me Park Road as having listened to it now for what must be getting on for several hours in editing and during the show I feel I know the place!

• 4 months later...

Kings Oak is getting another airing at Fairbourne Village Hall today (Sunday 11th) and has had a few modifications.  It's now set in 1993 and it's an opening day gala, with a visiting Standard 4MT temporarily renumbered 80121 (in other words I haven't had time to renumber it as 80079 which was mainline certified in 1993!), Tyseley "pet" T305 (the GWR liveried Class 117 which migrated to the South West later in the year), a "Warwickshire Pullman" class 116+101 power twin, a Centro Class 150 and a newly converted Reggie Rail Class 153 and newly repainted RR Class 150/2 (borrowed from Cardiff...) working an intensive service.  Outside the station is a classic car show, vintage Birmingham Standard Guy Arab bus working tours, and the obligatory burger van.  It's a good way of justifying a visiting steam loco and having an intensive service. 

I'll post some photos after the show, I might try and shoot a bit of video as well

post-10456-0-69360700-1376261343.jpg

Gala opening day at Kings Oak.  "Warwickshire Pullman" Tyseley two car Class 116+101 hybrid lash-up provides the not so enticing traction whilst outside the burger van does business, Wythall Bus Museum's Birmingham Guy Arab runs a connection to the bus museum, whilst a West Midlands Travel Scania attempts to run the regular Sunday bus service.

post-10456-0-15446400-1376261346.jpg

Yes I did get the teeshirt...

post-10456-0-44059300-1376261349.jpg

General overview. I've added two Bachmann half-relief town mews to the right of the ValU store, added extra public art fencing to the back of the second platform and added more people as you would expect to see at a family fun day.  There's also a classic car display in front of the shop!

post-10456-0-52789500-1376261364_thumb.jpg

Tyseley "pet" T305 works a Snow Hill to Castlewich gala day special on one of it's last outings before semi-retirement in the South West after being flogged on the Cross City.

post-10456-0-54579700-1376261368.jpg

Riffy Centro Class 150.  Quite how it has got so dirty after only twelve months out of the paint shop is a mystery.

post-10456-0-18251000-1376261371.jpg

Standard Class 4MT with Reggie Rail Mk2 working the steam shuttle between Tyseley and Castlewich.  No-one is quite sure why it is temporarily showing 80121, or why it's missing the compulsory OHLE warning flashes on the boiler.  Don't tell HMRI...

post-10456-0-86119000-1376261373.jpg

Classic cars, a classic bus, and a not so classic rotbox dmu...

I must say that this is a very nice piece of modelling. I think it would benefit from having a backscene, if only the same height as the tallest buildings or trees, as what is behind the layout is somewhat distracting to the eye (and I'm not referring to you being in the picture but rather the wooden staging behind you)! However, don't let these comments take away from the fact that this is a very nice little layout and the small detailing you have done is very effective. Great story of how the layout came about too.

Hector

Mark great to see an update on your "Kings Oak" exploits and your scenic tweaks are looking grand. I really enjoy the back story that you've created for your layout even down to the Gala day posters and "t shirt" (any chance we can get some for my stag do?) , I hope you get some invites further down south so that i can se Kings Oak in the flesh.

Looking forward to any further updates you may have.

Simon

Hi Hector, I had actually prepared a backscene using photos ready to print out but unfortunately I ran out of time to make it due to current family issues. You are right the lack of a backscene detracts somewhat. I'd also planned to put up some screening for the two fiddle planks as well to improve presentation. Perhaps next year...unless the Heljan OO9 loco tempts me into narrow gauge modelling!

Simon, if you want stag do teeshirts let me know...

• RMweb Gold

Having lived in Brum until 2005 & used/suffered the Cross City route extensively between 1985 & 1990, this is really a big nostalgia trip! The variety of units that Tyseley turned out as they got more clapped out was mind boggling - the 101/117 hybvrids you've shown and others including single car 122s substituting for 117 DMBS; there was one class 122 which had its data panel added to so it read 'class 122 i Ghia' :D

I do think DCC sound can help a lot on this kind of layout as the sound effects help to show something is happening when trains are stationary - a train arriving, braking to a halt, then sitting with the engines idling, then revving up before pulling away (at a realistic rate!) makes more sense than a 'quiet' train stopping & then pulling off. I think there might be more of a tendency to 'rush' a station stop with a non-sound train (if this makes any sense...). I'd love to hear a class 117 with sound - that blaring 'RAAAAAAA' as they pulled away was very distinctive (and probably annoying if you lived by the line :) )

Hi Rich, the 117 has a chassis from a Olivias sound converted Hornby 121 and is excellent. I used to work at Centro between 1990 and 2000 so also was a regular on the Cross City, and the Hednesford/Rugeley line when that reopened, so was familiar with the range of dmu rakes Tyseley put out especially in the later years.

• 1 year later...

Started transforming Kings Oak v1.0 into Kings Oak v2.0 today ready for RM Live.  I've gone back to the original plan of a terminus to fiddle yard rather than a through operation, the idea being that it will allow a second scenic module to eventually be built between the current scenic module and the new fiddle module.  For RM Live the idea is the Kings Oak branch was a single line from just south of Widney Manor to just outside the station where the line splits into two platform faces, Platform 2 usually for the Leamington shuttle, and Platform 1 for Snow Hill and beyond.  Eventually the second scenic module will include the junction and signalling (plus Crossroads Motel...) but for September it will be just the station module.  Current plans are to show the station in two time periods, 1989 with first gen dmus and 2006 with Central liveried stock.

At the moment I'm concentrating on tidying up the scenics, installing back scenes (I've had a change of mind on back scenes...) and making sure everything works for 13th-14th September!  Photos to follow when ready.

Mark I like the sound of the V2 of Kings Oak and I'm peeved about not being able to get the time off to help operate Kings Oak at RM Live. Thinking about your plans, a single line into 2 bays should lead to some interesting operations and maybe i'm getting distracted by being down South but how about a single lay over siding for cleaning trains between peaks etc?

Anyway good luck with RM Live and I'll keep an eye on here for your pictures from the event.

Simon

. Thinking about your plans, a single line into 2 bays should lead to some interesting operations and maybe i'm getting distracted by being down South but how about a single lay over siding for cleaning trains between peaks etc?

The idea of Central Trains cleaning their units at remote outstations is baffling to those of us who used to use their services and became accustomed to their "lived in" look.  When Central and "Oneglia" were busy swapping 156 and 150 trains, I was told a story that after Crown Point had sent their first 150 over to Tyseley complete with lovely, clean well maintained Anglia seat covers, and got their first 156 back with covers you could probably grow potatoes on, they decided they would remove the seat covers from the 150s and swap them with those from the incoming 156s so they could keep their looked after upholstery and Central would have their rancid old Growbag covers back.  Might be a bit of a tale, but I know when I lived in the Midlands the 150s suffered from the after effects of very high utilisation and high passenger loadings giving them a careworn look.

However, a refuge siding on the new board would be a good idea for the "Leamington Shuttle" to lay over in freeing up Platform 2 for other services, plus it would look like a bit of forward planning for a future extension and double tracking.  Good suggestion!

The idea of Central Trains cleaning their units at remote outstations is baffling to those of us who used to use their services and became accustomed to their "lived in" look.  When Central and "Oneglia" were busy swapping 156 and 150 trains, I was told a story that after Crown Point had sent their first 150 over to Tyseley complete with lovely, clean well maintained Anglia seat covers, and got their first 156 back with covers you could probably grow potatoes on, they decided they would remove the seat covers from the 150s and swap them with those from the incoming 156s so they could keep their looked after upholstery and Central would have their rancid old Growbag covers back.  Might be a bit of a tale, but I know when I lived in the Midlands the 150s suffered from the after effects of very high utilisation and high passenger loadings giving them a careworn look.

However, a refuge siding on the new board would be a good idea for the "Leamington Shuttle" to lay over in freeing up Platform 2 for other services, plus it would look like a bit of forward planning for a future extension and double tracking.  Good suggestion!

I did wonder if my suggestion was too Southern for the West Mids but I thought it may add a little extra operating potential, the road could be used for holding the first train of the morning out of Kings Oak. Anyway I'm glad I've helped in some small way (maybe call it Barnes Road........). Just out of interest what facilities did they have at Stratford upon Avon?

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Finalising v2 - we now have back boards!

15095208822_f28494da55_z.jpgKings Oak v2 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

14909019007_571dc12254_z.jpgKings Oak v2 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

15072564586_257872dff2_z.jpgKings Oak v2 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

14909021977_40d69a6909_z.jpgKings Oak v2 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

14908999438_34ca9c600a_z.jpgKings Oak v2 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

15072568336_6a8b109901_z.jpgKings Oak v2 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

14908933180_923bc5070c_z.jpgKings Oak v2 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

Still a bit of work to do but we are on target to have it finished by the middle of next week, ready for a ten day or so shakedown and testing.  I've also got to train the deputy Fat Controller on how to use the Multimaus.

More photos.  Pretty much there now, just a final coat of paint on the front and the information boards to affix to the fiddle yard fascade telling the history of the layout.  It's all wired up and I've done a couple of tests.  Just need to finish the stock programming and timetable sheets!

14934039917_9cc800fec0_z.jpgKings Oak V2.0 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

Overall view

15117624461_9ed02bb888_z.jpgKings Oak V2.0 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

Class 116 approaches Platform 1

15097641266_ccf5bb37c5_z.jpgKings Oak V2.0 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

101 on the Leamington Shuttle in Platform 2.  Whoever installed the lighting had spent too much time in the Crossroads bar the night before...

15120274622_c6e497e06d_z.jpgKings Oak V2.0 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

Fiddle yard to front of house junction

14934006320_21ee06025a_z.jpgKings Oak V2.0 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

Wider view.  I have to say the backing boards to help presentation significantly although I've left them neutral blue to avoid any odd perspective problems.

15120671755_7d68b0c005_z.jpgKings Oak V2.0 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

"The train now standing at Platform 2 is the 11.40 Regional Railways service to Leamington Spa, calling at..."

Excellent work Mark and Dave's carpentry has enhanced your layout no end, the overall look is highly polished and a big leap froward from the early views. I think the move back to the end of the heritage units has increased the operational interest as well.

With a view to the future if the dimensions are right it could maybe fit in the front extension when it's built  :mail:  :scratchhead:   :locomotive:

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

It's really striking what a difference the backboards make.  They really frame your work, remove distractions and improve pretty much all the sight lines.  Good work!

If anyone is wondering whether they're worthwhile I would point them to this thread!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben, I must admit those in favour of back scenes and boards were right.  It also helps a lot to protect the layout when being manhandled.  The shots were taken outdoors and as it's always windy here on the Welsh coast they did protect the more delicate items like the leaning lampposts from wind damage as well!

Simon, my next trip down will include furniture so there won't be room for Kings Oak as well, but if the Lady of the House is happy I'll bring it down sometime, possibly with added Crossroads...

I don't do springing...negotiation is a much better ploy.

Forgot to mention, the DCC sound Heritage DMU fleet now stands at two 108s, a 101, a 116 and T305, so the next visit to see Pendeford might just include a lot of diverted Shrewsbury line DMUs!  A six car 108-101-108 lash up with three sound equipped units chugging their way to the Cambrian Coast should be a maximum thrash event!

Archived