Nce powercab Us to Uk adapter

richard hines

I have recently purchased an nce powercab from America.I know that I will need an adaptor for the power supply but what kind ?

There are numerous 2 to 3 pin adaptors available but I don't want to blow it by using the wrong one.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It's the standard 2-flat pin socket to a 3-pin plug. Check your transformer is rated for 240v AC and 50Hz, as the adaptor will have no electrical bits in it.

You can also use a UK transformer that gives the same rating, my Powercab is currently supplied from a Lenz Transformer and through a bridge rectifier to give a DC voltage.

As long as it is fitted with a 2 amp fuse.  Shaver adapters are fitted with a 1 amp fuse, which won't provide enough power for the PowerCab.

IIRC the fuse is also an odd size, not the type you normally find in a three pin plug.

Dave

Looks likely to be a 20mm fuse, or possibly a less common 5/8" type.

Strange that it needs to be 2A rated given that the pictured PSU clearly shows its maximum draw to be just under 0.5A maximum, and that would therefore be derived from the lower 110V supply rather than 240V, so should be even lower than that when used in the UK.

Perhaps the PSU has a high inrush current, which means that the correct fuse 'Blow Characteristic' must also be considered when replacing (presumably TD or Slow-Blow?).

As long as it is fitted with a 2 amp fuse.  Shaver adapters are fitted with a 1 amp fuse, which won't provide enough power for the PowerCab.

Have you had problems with the 1A fuse blowing?  Surely a 1A fuse allows 230W to be taken, which even a 10A booster would be hard-pressed to use. 

I just had a look at my Powercab power supply, that has the same compliance plate as the US model, even though it was made in China, it has our colonial pin arrangement       { /  \ }, we run 240V/50HZ without the need of an inline fuse or airport style traveller adapters, I have not set the house on fire yet.

So far so good

Regards Glenn

Have you had problems with the 1A fuse blowing?  Surely a 1A fuse allows 230W to be taken, which even a 10A booster would be hard-pressed to use. 

My PowerCab blew the 1amp fuse when I used a shaver adapter. As I couldn't find a higher rated fuse to fit I bought a multi standard adapter from a local shop and fitted it with a 5amp fuse.

THe fuse is on the mains side and 1A (240W) should be more than adequate. Indeed, the picture posted above shows the rating as 0.48A on the input side.

Andrew

Archived