Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Jukebox
I was going to use my actual video recorder (plus it's proper tripod), but as it turned out the battery was flat, so I used my Apple Mac iPad instead, free hand Dement(or)ed flying look.
The shifting of the tree, as though in a gentle breeze - we have all the special effect here you understand - is a YouTube option when you first set it up. It is meant to stabilise the picture, but had this unforeseen, but interesting effect.

Bagpipes331
Thank you, and I did have a real laugh on your thread, Why are railway modellers so clumsy? Put me in a good mood for ages. :sungum:

Silky_Jack

Oooh I'll come have a look. Goathland reference photographs....my favourite....

Edited by Jaz

We have put up some short

on You Tube.

Here is the first

The Heartbeat TV Series tribute area,, Zollywood, part of Arboretum Valley.

Coming out of the train tunnel the view from the railway tracks heading towards Zollywood station / Goathland tribute, turning at the end towards Aidensfield Arms and Scripps garage.

Very odd. The second video was fine, but the first gives me "This video is private."

Regards, Tony.

Edited by Brass0four

ooops I'll go make it public, a couple of minute after I post this it should be ok, apologies I left it as private to tweak it and forgot to change it to public

Edited by Jaz

For Julian and mini driver a hippie van, on the cove we have been discussing, although the 'road' leads up and down it so far is not a smooth run through, but carefully photographed you can get away with....a lot

med_gallery_17883_2806_806769.jpg

Yesterday this was a plain grey VW van, I have bought colours in for a project and wanted to test my painting skills before I tried them on a loco

Kal wants me to do him a Mystery Machine (Scooby Dooby Doo!!!) after seeing this. I take that as a compliment. ;)

med_gallery_17883_2806_990305.jpg

Two sides

med_gallery_17883_2806_958225.jpg

not so close

med_gallery_17883_2806_437105.jpg

Having hit Harry Potter content, Harry, Ron, Harmoine. I repainted the hair of the two on the left, but its not so clear in this picture

med_gallery_17883_2806_324785.jpg

same further away

med_gallery_17883_2806_719486.jpg

While admiring the paint-work on your van, it occurred to me that you could give your artistic skills even greater expression if you utilised home-made transfers (decals, for our US cousins.) You'd need to make some profile line-drawings. (from online sources, perhaps? - or even from square-on photos of the 1/76 model) These need not be complex, basic rectangles would do, but make them to a larger scale: - 1/32 or even 1/24. Do your *easily more complex* artwork in these rectangles, and photograph them (good light, outside, perhaps, square-on of course). Then, using transfer-making materials - <http://craftycomputerpaper.co.uk> reduce the photos back to 1/76 and make the transfers. Five pieces: sides, front, back and roof, and apply using decal-softening agents. Simpler to do than describe.

Given your type of fantasy work its a technique that is only limited by your imagination, viz - limitless!

You may well have come across this before, but other readers might not.

Regards, Tony.

PS: The decal-solution softens the material so it takes around curves and details - up to a point, literally! - and the gloss finish of the vehicle is a positive advantage as decals don't like matt. Protect with with matt or satin varnish after 24hrs drying. Again, 'might be teachin' me granny to suck eggs!

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 2

Brass0four

I did mention to Jaz that the VW camper was so nice she might get asked for commissions, other than my desire for a Mystery Machine.  We have, of course, come a cross decals, but until you said it never thought of enlarging for finer detail then reducing again for scale. I think she will be quite interested in the idea. She did the JAZ logo, (she plans a KAL one as well) and the VW camper as a precursor to doing a loco for me. We already noticed where she painted a yellow centre on a pink flower that you can see the thickness of the paint, decals would be a good way to avoid that.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Decals....yes I think those are now on the list, thank you.

Frozen in time, ah well I think this will will please you.

Back to videos.......

5 A rare bird indeed this one has sound, Kingfisher A4 coming to Zollywood / Goathland tribute

2 minutes plus

We are remodelling bits of the station so there is some ugly sights as we improve the layout. Thanks to Silky_Jacks research some parts of the layout are being updated to become more realistic, unfortunately prototypical will take a lot longer, still a little bit at a time........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

Decals....yes I think those are now on the list, thank you.

Frozen in time, ah well I think this will will please you.

Back to videos.......

5 A rare bird indeed this one has sound, Kingfisher A4 coming to Zollywood / Goathland tribute

2 minutes plus

We are remodelling bits of the station so there is some ugly sights as we improve the layout. Thanks to Silky_Jacks research some parts of the layout are being updated to become more realistic, unfortunately prototypical will take a lot longer, still a little bit at a time........

Quite charming (in the real sense of the word!) I have a sound A4 "Sir Ronald Mathews", sound locos becoming my wallet's nightmare. I have eight up to now, all on my *poor, poor* pensioner's income. Regarding my A4, I think it will be renamed and numbered for one of the classic bird names rather than some boring old "suit."

Regarding the decals, most illustrative work is done larger than the published size. Before I went to Art College in the early seventies, I used to slavishly copy comic-book pages, infuriated at not being able to get the same sort of detail and finish. It was a revelation when I found that many artists worked *twice up* ie: A3 for and A4 finished page! Gratifyingly, I found myself able, in time - with practice, achieve some parity at least, with the artwork I admired. A good example of a much greater ratio are postage stamps, the artwork being A5 or even larger, for a tiny stamp.

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1

HI 

The A4 is from the Rare Birds pack, it has a Zimo mx645 sound chip, with my good friend Paul Chetter's A4 sound project, but my driving does not do it it justice, I will have to video him, driving it correctly when he comes around again, to due it the justice it deserves. The Tender has had real coal added to some grey packing foam, like the stuff you find in Camera cases. It looks quite good, or at least it does to me.

Regards

Kal

• Like 1

HI 

The A4 is from the Rare Birds pack, it has a Zimo mx645 sound chip, with my good friend Paul Chetter's A4 sound project, but my driving does not do it it justice, I will have to video him, driving it correctly when he comes around again, to due it the justice it deserves. The Tender has had real coal added to some grey packing foam, like the stuff you find in Camera cases. It looks quite good, or at least it does to me.

Regards

Kal

You do have to *drive* sound locos. As I became interested I read Drivers material and bought a book: *The Engine Driver's Manual* by Brian Topping OPC. When you know how it should work you can place yourself in the cab as Driver/Fireman and attend to all the duties: coaling, injectors, etc. For me a *roundy-roundy* sort of layout is necessary as locos accelerate quite slowly and the sound at a real 60mph ( a good average for an express steam loco, believe it or not)is quite different from the slower sounds. Then you can add all the playtime stuff like whistling warnings at plate-layers, crossings, through-stations, etc, etc. If I were to design a chip it would have the option of prototype performance, so you HAVE to do all that is necessary or you stop! Boys will be boys, even 65-year-old-ones. ;)

Tony.

• Like 4

Lovely video, of a lovely Loco  ....   such a pity so few are as pretty as that these days  ...   :locomotive:

Mind you the Driver had the brakes on harder than when I put 6 flat tyres on an LMR 0-6-0 J94  .....    :punish:

J

re post 291.....

med_gallery_17883_2781_501788.jpg

Excellent!!! I have 2000ADs going back donkey's years, all neatly box-filed. My wife says I should sell them. I say, NO! And yes, those were amongst the Artists I copied, some in earlier, less successful magazines. Pre-cursors of 200AD.

BTW. I do love Harry Potter - boxed set of DVDs of course - and have read the books. My wife, Joan, bought me a boxed set for Xmas a while back (even though I'd read them)'cos she knows I like boxed sets of books. People say I have more books than North Tyneside Central Library. They exaggerate-ish. ;)

Regards, Tony.

PS: And don't start me on Graphic Novels - shelf loads. Its been said I should have a go, but... time is ever a thief since her Ladyship became more ill. :(

Edited by Brass0four

6 Heartbeat Tribute

Charm-ing. Longer required :D Although I did check out the *around the railway room* video that Kal hosted, and that was long enough to reveal a good deal. If I had that amount of space I'd have a coronary!

Otherwise, I've boxes of unmade, unpainted Games Workshop stuff (that my wife says I should sell - ) but you've evoked a fancy for some sort of scenic space-opera involving an Imperial Armoured Train, protecting trains from planetary coruptonite-mines, under attack by Orcs... (Sigh)

And anyway, I quit posting on D 'n R, etc, till I actually made something. So I'd best say Goodnight Vienna to you guys, too, before I'm sucked in further, LOL ;-)

Regards, Tony.

Mini Video 7, Class 205 known as The Thumper

(Can't resist) Charmed! With the usual caveat ;- You'll be laying a third rail for the EMUs in the fullness of time?

Tony.

If you wonder at my paranoia over the Time issue, my profile might explain. Otherwise, subscribed to your youtube channel under the name of redcapcrane (Japanese Buddhist icon) :D

Edited by Brass0four