Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

McC

That might be more to do with the careful photography................but as you can re-wet DAS for tweaking I do suspect it will work, although not having glued this particular bit with the usual PVA I do rather suspect this is effort one and effort two will be necessary. But then I know what I plan to do. Plus I think a more worn grey will be a better colour in the long run. Although I liked the colour when I looked for a prototypical colour picture it was not so easy. So worn grey (not shiny) is looking favourite.It curves nicely round the windows.

Talking of windows, I am at present cutting little thin strips, to may a bay.......

• Like 1

Windows,

Not having any Evergreen or similar I attacked some 30 thou plastic sheet with a metal ruler and a knife (Tamiya plastic scibber II) and made some for practice.

I did the little window at the top, to make it a touch more 3d but also to hold the bay window in place

To the right is the original flat bay window,bottom left is my bodged home made window.

And at the bottom right is a bit of Wills tile, which I later noticed I had cut up side down (it was glued in place at time of discovery... :banghead:

med_gallery_17883_2781_105603.jpg

For effect I scavanged some clear plastic off a packet of paintbrushes and cut myself some 'glass' which I dirtied to help with the 3D effect,

perhaps not my brightest idea, but the clear stuff was hard to detect......You notice I attempted to infer the two middle windows could open.

After 400 or more hundred years they might look a bit dodgy.... :angel:

med_gallery_17883_2781_1193073.jpg

A plastic backing sheet had previously been added to stick everything to....

And the flashing has yet to be added to cover up the join,  and I have pointed out where I shoved some DAS for want of something better to fill the gap.

The tiles were all darkened down seeing as how I didn't want to draw too much attention to them.

Turning this into a 3d affair showed that the fronts didn't line up properly so some more bodging was required to square it up. (Must remember to choose a simpler building next time. 4 flats walls would be good for a start!!!!!)

med_gallery_17883_2781_137705.jpg

Then there was some fun and games lining the lot up trimming a bit here and there, quickly adding a bit of wall......

I added some paint to try to avoid glaring side by side bits looking iffy.  :sarcastichand: Then a picture.

The main building is 10 inches by 10 inches and with the extension makes 15 inches. 

This pub is bxxxxy massive!!!!. Finding a home for it will take some doing. In addition to choosing something simpler next time it might also be a good idea for the next project to be a tad smaller!!!!!

I am at present glueing tiny bits of plastic for the thatching above the main entrance elevation. I use contacta (It does take a liitle while to dry - but allows me to manipulate the parts), superglue would have been less forgiving and probably removed most of my finger tips by now!!!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_2781_400221.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Next roof, I didn't cut this one up, just made the bits to go on top, the other sags alittle and might need some 40 thou underneath it for support

med_gallery_17883_2781_191458.jpg

Kal kindly pointed out if I added some triangles inside the roof it would also support it, I added a few thin straights near the join for extra oomph at the same time

med_gallery_17883_2781_1157128.jpg

Originally starting the thatched roof was daunting, but I actually found doing it enjoyable and relaxing. I was also pleased to find something I liked straight way. I also think it is going to be an absolute God send at covering up all my seat of the pants joins. Always a rainbow if you look hard enough. 

If you knew two of the windows were made of plastic and all the rest were painted could you immediately spot the difference? 

I'm going to take a break and watch TV. The chimneys need to be sorted so that can be pushed into the DAS thatching. THe whole roof remains removeable because push the DAS around would kill the building.

Next time I'm going to try the foamex. There's a long list of next times.... :mosking:

This is an incredibly brave attempt at something really difficult and you are doing a magnificent job. I had my doubts when I was reading through about the way you were tackling the thatch but no, you have pulled it off rather well. A coat of matt varnish on the thatch and then some dry brushing of a creamy tone will bring out the detail. Don't forget that with the Das, when it is dry and preferably before you paint it, you can go over it with a stiff wire brush or a knife blade to texture it more. It will also cause a Sahara dust storm, which is why I have a hoover in my workshop!! Patching and adding Das is the way to go, you can finesse it for ever this way. It's looking great!

cheers,

Iain

I do admit that I did not make my life easy, there are far more polished ways of achieving such a build.

But I did not want to spend a lot of money and fail, and have some arty skills that can cover up a lot of sins. It was never about getting a fully successful looking model first time, more about a learning curve, I have definitely learnt some best to avoid ideas and discovered  whole host of how to fix issues. Not having been a boy and done all the airfix stuff since childhood, I have to cram all the knowledge I  acquired recently, while wanting to stay in my safe zone, i.e. using skills I know I have.  Some of the pictures look a little like train wrecks, but I wanted to record how I got there. Someone like Freebs has achieved a wonderful looking model all along. I am certainly following his latest build with interest. And I think for my next project I will be using a number of different materials. As mentioned before the important thing is I am learning and enjoying myself.

Freebs

Thank you, not a pretty job from the word go like yours, I am loving your new build, but I had ideas I was determined to try. I certainly accept the 30 thou plastic is not the best idea for such a large build. Hence why I am picking your brain on your thread. Forex is looking more and more like the way to go. IF I want to achieve something quicker for my time. Next time I will measure and get square corners, emulating slopes is definitely not easy. Getting my tiles the right way up would be useful too..... :O

Iain

I think your earlier comment post 347, 'but I can see you pulling it off with your obvious determination', hit's the nail on the head. I was rather determined to try it my own way, before meekly following the crowd. I am one of those people who are not only willing to make mistakes but will hold my hand up to them. Having started I will finish, but admit I probably would have found it a lot easier to follow that  crowd.   :angel: Thank you for the advice. I had noticed the first DAS had gone shiny. I will have to mostly repeat that error for continuity, and then when it's all there, adjust the tone and kill the shine. Towards the end I will once again read through the threads and blogs, to ensure I have missed no good pointers. 

Thankfully, despite the bodge it is coming together. Plus I always left my self the let out of replacing parts.   :sungum: 

If nothing else it will show that you should never be scared to try   
:scared:

in order to have a happy train layout    :senile:..............

As a last resort I could cover it in a load of ivy   :crazy:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Old saying..."the person that never made a mistake...never made anything." Your work is great and your determination will mean that this will be a success. I too hate following the crowd, there's no fun in it. Do it your own way. I feel guilty that I haven't helped enough, but seeing how you've gone on with this, you are going to make it and make it well...and what you learn along the way will be invaluable. Actually you don't need any help from me....that I should be so vain. Keep it up, I can't wait to see the finale!

cheers,

Iain

Hi Jaz,

what an extensive layout you have there, if only I had the space to create something like that, there is onviously a lot of work gone into it and some really tasty features/ cameo scenes that look really good and some nice trackwork, is it handbuilt track and turnouts?

cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Gravy Train, welcome to our thread

In response to your question...we wish, no its peco 75. We were considering making our own in the old loft, but it does appear that getting your trains to run on it can be a lot more difficult. Plus we have a lot of rolling stock. Kal spends a lot of time testing it to ensure we can carry full length trains. And tweaking it to get as close to the platforms as possible. He was keen to cut the sleepers and lay them out better at the very least, but at the moment it's just standard.

Roof 1, the reinforcing to help stop it sagging

med_gallery_17883_2781_675079.jpg

adding the other side and extending it, it leans a little until it has something to rest on.The ridge shows up over the top as per the prototype (a lucky happinstance)

On the floor near the front door is the signage, I still need to print off a white horse for the sign and colour it.

med_gallery_17883_2781_971654.jpg

A back view, real thatch appears to only show the ends of the thatch, but it just doesnot look right to me

as such I show lengths but push the top in as though below the above stalks/reeds whatever.

I have decided to leave colouring until all the necessary thatched area is ready, as rewetting painted DAS is not that easy, and chipping or scrapping the top makes me cringe.

med_gallery_17883_2781_476312.jpg

without much difficulty I have avoided too straight an edge. And the shadow looks quite good, although the real thing is actually tidier I preferred a slightly scruffier look.

The windows in the thatched area will need to be upgrading before adding the roof. Those below can be made up and stuck on towards the end.

med_gallery_17883_2781_175350.jpg

After this next lot of thatch, I will need to concentrate on the back, there is a glass roof and wood timbers, there is a second pitched roof.

All in all this build may run for some time.

• Like 3

The above picture are quite smart, being able to be printed off on A4 paper, but I should have pointed out that I did not make them, I won a competition on another forum and my prize was some elevations of a building of my choice, the gentleman in question was sick and tired of signal boxes and quite happy to produce a bunch of pictures from North, South east and West. He is a great character and I update him on my progress. He is a long retired architect, they saved ma a lot of calculations, for which I am immensely thankful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

2 Elevations of the prototype, you'll see the two thatched areas look quite different in colour, and part of the walls are yellowed.

Looking at those, you could probably have got away with a bit of sag on the roof - more like the real thing!

This is looking great, Jaz, I'm really enjoying watching this come together.

the gentleman in question was sick and tired of signal boxes 

He never, mentioned that to me :no: ,a good friend as he is............So what is wrong with my signal box ? :scratchhead: ........... :nono: .

What are you doing for chimney pots.......?

teddy bear fur...  I wonder if that would work?

Funny, you should mention that Jukebox................... :drag:

I was talking to John, of "GreenScenes",yesterday, about thatched rooves, and one of three materials he suggested was............"Teddy Bear fur".... :O

Jaz and Kal, already know the other two, as I told them last night on the phone............ :smoke:

He never, mentioned that to me :no: ,a good friend as he is............So what is wrong with my signal box ? :scratchhead: ........... :nono: .

What are you doing for chimney pots.......?

He's not sick of your signal box, he was just happy to do something more challenging  :sarcastichand:

Um..... chimney pots Freebs has used plastic cotton buds successfully Robinson and Downes Anything you can do I can do better thread put the idea up originaly (if my memory serves) cutting them in half for guttering too, although at least one of them uses copper for the drain pipes. Knowing your propensity for doing my research for me  :smoke: I'll let you offer something up, if you have time now you have brought your own delightful layout to RM.

Edited by Jaz

Looking at those, you could probably have got away with a bit of sag on the roof - more like the real thing!

This is looking great, Jaz, I'm really enjoying watching this come together.

Thank you acg_mr

Although I think it more likely getting it to NOT sag will be a major achievement, the DAS is not lightweight!!!!!!!! :scared:

I got the second roof done, and painted in natural sunlight, it was a lovely faded grey

med_gallery_17883_2781_155742.jpg0262

I then moved it in the room to re-photo it under electric light and it was a brown!!!!! The DAS and still been wet and obviously seeped through.

A re-paint will follow in time.

med_gallery_17883_2781_1003961.jpg0264

At present the roof is rough, I wanted some spare in order to cover any lack in the main building.

med_gallery_17883_2781_103676.jpg0266

At present I cannot mount the original roof which was expanded and painted, because if it sits on the new roof before it dries it will damage it.

Waiting for the DAS to thoroughly, then I will re photograph.

• Like 4

As some light relief, I went and looked through some of my photographic rejects, some are now cropped, blurred, enhanced.

Here is a selection from Kalborough

The Thumper Class 205

med_gallery_17883_2760_179906.jpg0088

Aview down the platforms

med_gallery_17883_2760_599018.jpg1345

Through some lucky happen chance I picked up part of the picture in the top right area, the car park near the wash area

med_gallery_17883_2760_1209905.jpg1346

To the right Teak coach off the Kingfisher A4, perhaps people might recognise the left hand loco?

med_gallery_17883_2760_970765.jpg1344

A bit of a giveaway..............

med_gallery_17883_2760_594829.jpg1342

With the people cut out I might pop this on the realistic modelling thread, although there is still no signals........still the lighting is atmospheric

med_gallery_17883_2760_86467.jpg1334

Hope these are well received, if so I might go rescue some other old pictures.

• Like 5

Hope these are well received, if so I might go rescue some other old pictures.

Yea  ............   More - more  ..............................  :locomotive:

So many things to see and learn from  ..................   :smoke:

J