Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Gold

Jaz, if those were your rejects, then you must have a very high threshold for what you consider acceptable... :O

Not a thumb to be seen in any photo, no rolling stock with a wheel off the track, no mugs of tea left in the background - you're just not trying :D

More please,

Al

dt

I did, honest, I was very interested in sewing and cutting it, using the lighter colour and greying it, then I realised how many packs I would have to buy.....It would cost a fortune!!!!!!!.

I have two roof areas and some spare DAS much more cost effective. If we weren't chatting on the phone I would probably be looking at setting it up for a picture  :beee:  :jester:

I looked at the reed we have in the dykes, but it would be a lot of faffing about, cutting etc. So DAS it is for the moment. Maybe in a smaller building later. :butcher:

Yea  ............   More - more  ..............................  :locomotive:

So many things to see and learn from  ..................   :smoke:

J

Nice to see you back, did you visit any railways whilst on holiday? 

Jaz, if those were your rejects, then you must have a very high threshold for what you consider acceptable... :O

Not a thumb to be seen in any photo, no rolling stock with a wheel off the track, no mugs of tea left in the background - you're just not trying :D

More please,

Al

I make lots of mistake but with these new fangled digital pictures I can dump loads. Usually I am too lazy to play with the pictures, except to tidy the sky, these had to be cropped etc. I will wander back through, but Kal now has a couple of weeks holiday and he is full of ideas for Arboretum Valley, I suspect I will be VERY busy.

Almost a Wish You Were Here cameo happening on photo #2, Jaz - You just need to set one of them on fire...

220px-WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

Lots more here.

Cheers

S

I am not setting fire to my layout!!!!....like the Pink Floyd though. I only bought one of their albums 'Another Brick in the WAll' Perhaps a house fire for the fire brigade at some time in the future. 

Kals holiday project

We have just cleared 2 (8'x4' / 1220x2440mm) tables, one table is designated for Sheffield Park (We have the main station Bachmann boxed items ready to go), the Bluebell canopy opposite is also ready to go. It needs a serious track adjustment. We acquired an unboxed Hampton Hill water tower off E Bay that is close. We just need to see how to address the 3 lane Engine Shed, Locomotive Works, the Restaurant will have to be a scratch build. Plus theres a Sleeping Coach siding although it is disconnected. So the Goathland tribute Sleeping Coaches can double for here. Anyone complaining on how they can be moved need only refer to the chinooks at RAF Zollywood!!!

med_gallery_17883_2792_299601.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2792_1676161.jpg

Moving towards the Goathland tribute area we have the Steam / Motive Power Depot, we have emptied this area too. We are planning on adding thePeco  inspection pits. And changing it in order to have a National Heritage Steam Centre. We have some nice Bachmann wooden sheds  44-096 which are sympathetically coloured for this type of area, 

med_gallery_17883_2792_1178795.jpg

The Carnforth area would still just manage to keep a home at the far end. plus we now have the 44-086 Ash Plant The Bachmann version. The Hornby one will move to a mining town area that has yet to be set up.

Kal is energetically ripping up tracks..............and boards!!!!!!! The 4 tracks at the back not in view are getting a pounding too. As we get further along pictures will make this more obvious.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

acg_mr

I never need much encouragement to provide pictures.....

tracks gone...Kal and a hacksaw blade..........

med_gallery_17883_2856_172168.jpg0275

The back of the PC control area is also part of the Sheffield Park tribute Jantfield Park

med_gallery_17883_2856_905895.jpg0276

The lower fiddle yard will be removed , it was all Peco 100 and I think Kal intends to have replacement points 75 and end up in the Old Loft 

med_gallery_17883_2856_1369540.jpg0277

And we have a spare board which Kal would appear to be muttering about..............

med_gallery_17883_2856_1249201.jpg0278

........end of work Kebab, and TV..........

• Like 1

Definitely drastic measures ............................   :crazy:

The lower fiddle yard will be removed...........................    Kal and a hacksaw blade..........

:butcher:   ...................................    Oooooo  Eeerrrr  Mrs  ...................    Ouchhhh............. 

think Kal intends to have replacement points 75 and end up   ..  in the Old Loft .............

Still what can you expect from a child of the 60s   ..............................      :maninlove: .....................

Just a small question but ...................   having read all your comments about your Lower Fiddle Yard   ..............................   err   ..............................  just what is on those Kebabs  ......   :O  :nono:

Some sort of old Track-lements to go with them I suppose   .........  :dontknow:

Good luck both  .....   :imsohappy:

J

Moorings.......... :drag:

Oh...!   :O .      Did I hear,.?..........a shout, from my childhood,...my mother...from the kitchen,.........."Clear your track and trains,from the table,David, and lay the table for 4."

Always a left field thinker.........did she mean..........for 4.pm or 4.persons, there were 5. in our family,while growing up,so,I took it,my dad was on one of his long working trip's away.

Now it seems you are clearing your tables,I would not care, to lay them up.

All this preamble stuff, is leading up to a biggie, (oh ho...).a suggestion............Ah..!........

I can hear the guillotine blade,being sharpened, :butcher: by your friends across the channel .

As I do live closer to France,.......than I do to you.

I presume, you will be removing...........Ice Station Zulu  Zebra. also, now you have had radiators, fitted to your space.

Now, Jaz and Kal, consider choosing, one of your "themes", take a day off, go take your tripod and camera, and take some panoramic shots for a back scene.

Then, send it to .....John @ ID.Backscences (Artmasters),have a chat and explain what you would like,................he is very good you know.

Yes, Jaz, I can hear you from there,............shouting @ your screen................I do know the hours you have spent, but just one............for now........... :O .

It is no good trying to contact me,my addresses and contact numbers',have...........been changed overnight,.......... a move of house country is in the wind................

The prospect of "asylum", in another country, is not daunting, for I visited New Zealand, as a tourist in the 70's,for 24.hrs.

Easy going,easy to get used to and very friendly peoples......

I will understand............if you withdraw,............... your right to reply...............you can't afford the stamp............... :drag: .

BFn...............Anon.

Hmmm.......I note J. is referring to his old....very old,................... Morse Code book, for boys'..........."..-...----..."...........

Good idea - Morse Code might be appropriate, given the remoteness of your new location  ....................   :sungum:

Have you decided which country you might choose to seek asylum in    .......................................................  before Jaz reads 'that' post  ................   :read:    ..............................   :tomato:  

:smileclear:  ....   :nowink:

J

Edited by jcredfer

Someone has suggested.......I had jumped ship, so to speak........................ :no:  :nono: ..........

This is my preferred method of transfer..........and maybe used again soon..........https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=breeches+buoy&newwindow=1&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB530GB530&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=AZYIUq6BD4PIOdfvgNAO&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1350&bih=615&sei=QZYIUo3pH-Ol0wWeroCYBA

Now,.......where were we concerning their topic.... :drag: .......Ah ! yes.........taking large steps............( :triniti: :triniti:  ).look the part,........ don't they both. :O.

Edited by ferriesdover

My, My, you have been swatting with that old book of yours J..................but,

/ -.-- --- ..- .-. / -. . .-- / .-. . ..-. ..- --. . / -.-- . –

,You have spelt .........".Sorry."....... wrongly...................da dit dit.......etc.

We only had a sleep in.......and you two remind me of......Tweedledum and Tweedleedee (who) agreed to have a battle....

Tweedledum and Tweedledee     Agreed to have a battle; For Tweedledum said Tweedledee     Had spoiled his nice new rattle. Just then flew down a monstrous crow,     As black as a tar-barrel; Which frightened both the heroes so,     They quite forgot their quarrel.   I suppose this makes me the monstrous black crow. :beee: dt Very observant....yes when we redid the boiler we installed 3 rads in the loft, we were sick of freezing or frying. The weather has been rather like Alice in Wonderland, so the air conditioner is firmly sited in the lounge (for my dads health). With regards to the back scene we have already agreed (although Kal bless him hates to cover my work especially as it was the first thing I did for the layout) but real trees etc photographed are on the list, and as I also have a lot of pictures (15k) of our arboretum, there is plenty of subject matter to choose from. I will use your link to get investigate.And regards rumours of your disappearance everyman and his dog knows you take a regular walk near your beloved Dover Priory....so it would not be hard to find you even if disguised.  Talking of which you know need to sort your signature here, and link your lovely layout. No more skulking in the corner  :sungum: Oh and your chances of keeping a serious thread?? Nil!!!!! Your link only reinforces the Tweedle image......Who is Dee and who is Dum is still up for debate............. J You wind up merchant!!! Clearly the holiday, and time spent with mini driver has taken you back to your usual mischievous ways. And talking of skulking, Now we know you only have an exhibition sized layout, and that I have encouraged it's alter ego (Harry Potter for me and mini driver) which is not to everyone taste, but you effectively have two halves, However there are many people on here with similar restrictions, and I do think you will find people interested in your take on things, think about it. You can put up the thread from the beginning showing it's evolution. Plus what was the out come on the soil issue?

We only had a sleep in.......and you two remind me of......Tweedledum and Tweedleedee (who) agreed to have a battle....

Tweedledum and Tweedledee     Agreed to have a battle; For Tweedledum said Tweedledee     Had spoiled his nice new rattle. Just then flew down a monstrous crow,     As black as a tar-barrel; Which frightened both the heroes so,     They quite forgot their quarrel.   I suppose this makes me the monstrous black crow. :beee: dt Very observant....yes when we redid the boiler we installed 3 rads in the loft, we were sick of freezing or frying. The weather has been rather like Alice in Wonderland, so the air conditioner is firmly sited in the lounge (for my dads health). With regards to the back scene we have already agreed (although Kal bless him hates to cover my work especially as it was the first thing I did for the layout) but real trees etc photographed are on the list, and as I also have a lot of pictures (15k) of our arboretum, there is plenty of subject matter to choose from. I will use your link to get investigate.And regards rumours of your disappearance everyman and his dog knows you take a regular walk near your beloved Dover Priory....so it would not be hard to find you even if disguised.  Talking of which you know need to sort your signature here, and link your lovely layout. No more skulking in the corner  :sungum: Oh and your chances of keeping a serious thread?? Nil!!!!! Your link only reinforces the Tweedle image......Who is Dee and who is Dum is still up for debate............. J You wind up merchant!!! Clearly the holiday, and time spent with mini driver has taken you back to your usual mischievous ways. And talking of skulking, Now we know you only have an exhibition sized layout, and that I have encouraged it's alter ego (Harry Potter for me and mini driver) which is not to everyone taste, but you effectively have two halves, However there are many people on here with similar restrictions, and I do think you will find people interested in your take on things, think about it. You can put up the thread from the beginning showing it's evolution. Plus what was the out come on the soil issue?

:drag:  :drag: .................... :offtopic: ................

Back to trains..............and Sheffield Park. 

After removing a 'bit' of wiring, and some digitrax hardware all carefully packed in really useful boxes (I give them so many plugs I should get advertising fees)

med_gallery_17883_2856_29174.jpg0283

We removed the sheffield park board completely, as mentioned Kal is considering starting on a clean board (to maximise his available time)

This shows one half of the fiddle yard removed the single track at the front shows where it joined

med_gallery_17883_2856_69185.jpg0279

The tracks at the back need to be re arranged  1, and 2, will rise up  3, and 4, will split 

1. comes in from the old loft at the  lower level and runs along the far back and rises before the Goathland tribute table running along the back of the layout.

2. does the same this gives a lower to higher pair of tracks that go unobserved behind sheffield park  then rise and are visible at the back of Goathland tribute.

3 will split

a. comes from the old loft at the high level and starts to drops down (out of sight) and runs behind Sheffield Park eventually dropping to the lower level in order to go under the Goathland table

b. comes from the old loft and stays high and goes through Sheffield Park at the font and then can either go on to Goathland tribute or run backwards through the new National Steam Heritage and join the line going through the back of Goathland

4 will split

a.does the same as 3a this gives a higher to lower pair of tracks than run around under Goathland tribute table

b.does the same as 3b this gives the pair of tracks for Sheffield Park main platforms.

The back of the Sheffield Park table showing where the tracks are in the process of being changed

med_gallery_17883_2856_776947.jpg0282

The back of the new National Steam Heritage area showing the same

med_gallery_17883_2856_1324380.jpg0281

We are hoping to retain as much track layout as possible. However we will only be testing this once the fours tracks at the back are sorted. They will likely be hidden behind an all new scenic break.

So the original hand painted work will remain but no longer be viewed.

med_gallery_17883_2856_825515.jpg0280

Enough of an update we are off to discuss what to do next.

Edited by Jaz

Back OT  ...

That is an amazing amount of re-laying there  ....   I think Kal is probably right about not faffing about with re-laying on the old boards  ...   lots of room for uneven tracks there  .... :O

Looking forward to seeing it progress, very much  .......    :drag:

J

PS. I may well Post  ....   have been thinking of format, as a shunting puzzle may be boring for many.

I have some ideas 'though and may be able to do stuff when next camping session over  ...

• Like 1

J
Oi parasite without your own thread :beee: .................. :jester:
Go see Why are modellers so clumsy......and translate..... :triniti:
It's like a disease :scared: --. --- -. ---.-- :sungum:

-- . -. !!!!!!!!!!!

(edit=I looked back on this and wondered if people might take this wrong, J is a longtime friend from another forum, and he knows he is welcome on our thread and that I am teasing him, plus this post is multi levelled because..I would not be rude per say)

Edited by Jaz