Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Freebs

your on my xmas list. Glad someone likes my tree  :sungum: Even if it is only half finished.

med_gallery_17883_2856_129618.jpg

15964948.jpgnear seaworthy somerset

posted by Redbrook

Elm on Marylebone High Street

marylebone-elm.jpg

Elm_Tree.jpg

an english elm more mature so wider. A number of trees are fastigated (more narrow) until they reach middle age when they spread.....a bit like humans :)

Edited by Jaz

http://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=75

The best spray varnish, Testors Dullcote with the EU legal formula, in our humble opinion this is possibly the best matt spray varnish there is. Use Testors Dullcote to protect your finished work and use over the top of a gloss varnish for extra protection for gaming projects, enhance your finished project with this permanent, flat lacquer finish. It reduces sheen and light reflection, while providing invisible protection. Dries in minutes and creates a true dull finish.
Warning: Postage restrictions apply to this item, it is therefore only for mainland UK customers. Spray cans can not be shipped by airmail so we therefore can not ship to the EU or the Rest of the World.

£4.50

• RMweb Premium

Love that elm! Lets see if we can't get Mrs Sasquatch to agree to a busmans holiday exchange!

Was concerned to hear about your dad Jaz. At least he's not hurt and can be lucky that you have a granny annex! I have the T-shirt, so know that there is only so much you can do and that it makes you feel quite helpless at times.

Am loving the Shefield Park build as I use to hang out at the Bluebell a lot. But sorry no pics to hand as that would have been in the days before digital!

Kal. Locomotive detailing and stock weathering. Tell me about it!!! Have taken to slapping on a grimy mix of crafters acrylic and wiping it off with kitchen towel simply to speed things up. Am planning on dismantling some coach rakes to spray the under frames with Floquil Railroad colors "grimy black". Wonderful stuff.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Several things, altough I can only think of two at the moment

Dad

Never be afraid to call an ambulance as it is a 'medical' emergency.  My mother-in-law was a large lady and when she had a fall my father-in-law could not help her up, not even with the help of my sister-in-law.  They actually had a blow up mattress she was so large, over 20 stone, (she had thyroid problems).  The reason that they did not want you to help is that they do not know how strong you are, or your frailities, (they would be covered in the brown stuff if they found out you had brittle bones as you lifted your dad), and they have had the same training in lifting so will work as a team without having to think about it.

I hope he recovers and is able to walk about on his crutches and hopefully will be able to get some strength back.

Tree

I think it looks excellent. I always loved elms until we imported our dutch friend.  If you have nevr used milliput then you need to make sure you wear gloves as you will get your hands covered otherwise and have some water in a pot or something to keep your tools wet as it sticks to anything dry.  It drys in about 4 hours or less and is then solid.  DAS may be less hassle but will take longer to dry.  My problem with DAS is when you use half a slab and the other starts to dry out slowly.

Paint (I remembered)  I was told ages ago never to use gloss, or if you do put satin varnish over it.  Dullcote as matt varnish would seem to be fine although have never used it.  BTW Humbrol also do a matt varnish, number 49, this is the varnish search on the Humbrol site. 

All the best.

Sasquatch, ChrisN

Dad

gets better by the day. A nurse said he improves by baby steps but after the initial week after the op there has been no setbacks (touch wood/forehead).

Trees

Kal and I 

love trees we have imported seed from US and France and buy seeds that have been imported to the UK and then sold to us here.

Elms, we have several trees which are sold as dutch elm disease resistant but if you look at the figures, they are not. The tree needs 20 years to mature so the bark is thick enough to attract the beetle that causes the problem. Hence you get 20 years usually before you have an issue. We are trying Siberian Elms (they are like a weed in their home country) and Zelkovas. Hence we seem to have wave of 20 year cycles. 

The reason we import seed is that it is often the soil that brings in the diseases. Bare roots and even better seeds are unlikely to cause you problems.

ALSO please please don't cut down horse chestnuts, the new pest makes them unsightly BUT does not kill them. This tree lives several hundred years and cutting down a fine specimen is terrible. Many trees provide life for insects birds mammals etc, even left to rot they give life. We manicure our gardens and lose the insects and then the birds that need them to survive. A little messy area in the corner isa  god send to insect and thus birds.

I love all the unusual leaved plants, but have heard experts on several occasions sating having too many makes it look like you garden is diseased. As for the horsechesnuts, ours and their relatives the US buckeyes (their name for conkers) are free even though the surrounding towns have trees that are smothered.

Trees are so valuable in so many ways, we have grown ones that can be pollarded (cut at the top of the main trunk) or coppiced (cut as close to ground level as possible) ever 4 or 5 years to provide wood for burning. we do have a number of problems black spot, leaf bugs, gall wasps etc. But unless the problem is killing the tree we leave them in peace. I let our fruit especially apples drop to the ground and sit on it, the colder air keeps it fresh providing food for the birds for several months (another food source for those poor birds) and we let the grass grow high to give them cover 9from cats and other birds). 

We also take in peoples rejects from their gardens. We have bamboo, conifers and loads of seedlings that other people rip out of their gardens as unwanted.

We are also getting plenty of seedlings of our own nowadays. Daffodills, crocus, snowdrops, tulips have all been planted. The rees are good reference for younger trees, modelling the bulbs not so easy. 

We have a number of Acers / Maple, inc the silver maple and the similar sounding tree that you get maple syrup from. We have walnuts (not big enough for fruit) and sweet chesnuts, hazelnuts, we have a pecan that struggles through having been grown from Xmas nuts (two others succumbed to the cold) I also gather fungi, and have a wide range that produce fairy rings around the tree they are symbiotic with. 

Unfortunately the trees in the arboretum are rarely better than 20 foot some are 30foot. Some we won't see reach a good height. Others are doing well.

The poplars grow very fast, we grow birches which live for like 60 years near oaks which don't mind the birch cover then fill in the space as the birches die. 

The weeping willows grew well. And alders even those we grew from seeds of our original plants do well. Leylandi are mules, they don't breed as they were a cross, and are clones.

I just love trees.

I put my das in a plastic lunch bag / box with a small amount of water and this helps stop the drying out issue.

I knew that often my painting is too glossy. I have the gloss cote, but need the Humbrol satin and will track down the Testor product.

• Like 2

Just testing out a layout for Sheffield Park, buildings nicked from nearby.

med_gallery_17883_2856_59632.jpgrmweb169spark2

med_gallery_17883_2856_14328.jpgrmweb168spark1

med_gallery_17883_2856_577108.jpgrmweb161trees2

In reality there is now commercial buildings and large carparks in these areas, there is some nice houses and gardens in reality not too far away, but thy don't fit on the scaled area that is marked up. Hence we think we will use some nice buildings that look okay for the era. 

Goathland is set in the 1960s Heartbeat era.

Sheffield Park is to be 1970s/ 1980s. Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes, The Professionals and many more are likely to be seen as the build continues. Car chases, cop chases etc and maybe a burglar or two!!!! 

• Like 2

hI Both,

The talk of shiny paint finishes made my Memory Brain Cell have a little scratch   ...........     :scratchhead:

Many years ago, I made some 54mm Napoleonic stuff with Horses and Hussars [i have a Dragon Dragoon but still in the box, as the RAF Posters sent one of their little slips of paper before I could get to it and it didn't get made  ..  one day maybe?]. all bright uniforms but matt cloth. Sometimes I needed a sheen, like on the Horses and leather stuff [good for faces if they were exerting themselves].

At times the colour range just wasn't there either, in the right Matt finish, back then  ........   adjustments were needed    .............    

I used a product that came in a tube and mixed with most kinds of paint to make a matt finish   .....   you simply mix some into the paint and carry on as if it wasn't there  ...   even I managed that   ....     :senile:

I tried googling but that didn't produce  .......    so back on hands and knees to find some old Military Modeling books     .........     Bingo  ......

This is the stuff  ....  it used to be in a tube, but no longer it seems  .......  it is really flexible to use and very easy too  ..  

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/dorlands-wax.html

but it is USA company and the suppliers are likewise   ....   

This is a UK supplier  .....

http://www.rainbowsilks.co.uk/ProductDetails.cfm?Code=JACVDW0001

Ways to use the Wax Medium can be seen here.

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/product-pages/waxes/Dorlands_Wax_Instructions.pdf 

and here

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/product-pages/waxes/Rebecca%20Crowell%20article.pdf 

Jaz, I'm sure you would find it very useful, if only for the variety of amounts and Matting qualities it has.

J

It's a very versatile product, does the wax harden well? Or should I treat the product with some respect? I need to look at all the stuff, the pearlised new products might be good for graffiti. Can you mix it with other items? Or overlay colours? Have you a couple of pictures even if the products are a bit knocked a bout having been around for a while

I will look them out for photographs.   ..........    :declare:

They have recently been uncovered from the mists of time, as I need some storage and they came out with the old paint which recently caused a clandestine visit to an upturned dustbin [sorry - that should have read - "Waste Disposal Operative Curbside Vehicle Hoist Compatible Receptacle"]

Will mix with lots of stuff and I used it as over-coat etc   ........    did have to be cautious about not exceeding the 1:5 ratio, or it became weak and translucent  ....   to be expected I reckon  .....   

Hi Both,

Kal, liked the video, very interesting and I shall visit it again a time or two.   .....   

I dragged these old [40 yrs] rather house-move battered and scarred items out of the drawers they were in. They are 54mm scale - 1/32.  

I'm afraid they haven't survived very well but the paint seems to have kept it's colour and texture - where there is any left.

This is an overall picture to see the general effect. Some of the clothes are simply matt from the pot.

There are some clothes which were well worn, so were from mixed paints and they were from added Wax Medium too. [ Most pale colour Trousers best seen on Soldier with arm  in sling and LCpl next to him, Hussar not enough Wax Medium on his trousers]

Where wood [rifles] leather [Water bottles; Ammo pouches; stirrups, saddle and chest straps on the horse] boots, sweaty horse fur etc are neither flat matt nor gloss, the matt wax medium has been added.

It didn't do the reins very well, as the ribbon cloth they were made from tended to absorb the paint and became more matt than required, so really should have been done again.

11365095034_87e0baeecd_c.jpg
DSC_0434 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The various effects of different amounts of Matt Wax Medium can be seen here [Faces with sheen neither matt nor shiny, eyes with sheen rather than gloss ]

Ignore cow, which is unfinished and only there to prop up the soldiers.

[strangely the LCpl jacket is plain Matt from the pot, so where the slight sheen came from, I am not quite sure - maybe damaged from continual moves.]

11365123863_ebf88d42e1_c.jpg
DSC_0439 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The sheen on the horse fur can be seen and the different amounts on leathers. [NB. There is a really bright reflection of the window, on the left chest leather which is only evident on this picture. More accurate on the previous picture.]

11364980055_cda2bec97c_c.jpg
DSC_0440 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

As you can see the Wax Medium is able to produce a good variety of Matt and Sheens. It is very easy to use and mix into paints too.

You asked about how strong it is and it feels no different to matt paint.

I don't know if this is any help but a small pot might be worth the few £ it costs.

Edited by jcredfer

Thank you, Kal.

Liked the video very much and your British accent is almost perfect. You said that most likely prefer to see trains over scenery, but not me - not when the scenery is coming together with the care, talent and artistry you and Jaz put into it. Just beautiful. As a modular railway modeler, I envy the dedicated space you have to make your OO world come alive.

Julian

Thanks for the pictures. I have to say if you had them that long, the colours have worn really well. I know you say they are 1:32 but that wax is obviously capable of fine detailing.And from what you say can mix ok, although test in small batches for results. 

At the time you originally made them they must have been really fine.  :sungum: Because they are pretty fine even now.

I had a quick look at the waxes but have not yet had time to look throughout the web pages properly.

Regardless it looks very interesting, and considering I am not above mixing water colours, acrylics, oils, enamels etc what's a little wax  :jester:

It occurs to me that some comparison with the original videos might be helpful, but I don;t want to double up on more work, then it occurs to me that our thread is sprawling all over the place, hence I am just about to do an index on page one so that people can find a few of the pages that are worthwhile, those that are not modelling orientated will be labelled as chit chat. I suspect we have a lot of chit chat pages  :D

first 12 pages done no chit chat.....

If anyone has ideas on improving the index pls feel free as I have not done one before.

Edited by Jaz

Hi

Short update video

''I think that people are probably more interested in trains than they are in the scenery'' Probably not the best choice of words :no: lol

Looks great so far, the stations are coming on nicely and the scenery is looking nice too. The proprietary resin products fit in well with the rest of the line and the track work is nicely done, very well gauged.

Cheers, Reece

• Like 1