Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

post-8964-0-10778200-1392448836.jpg

The long man of Wilmington, Sussex is steeped in mystery. legend has it that if a woman can't conceive she must climb up Windover hill, remove her under garments and sit down on the grass you-know-where.  It worked for many couples back in my grand parents day.

Edited by Sasquatch

Anybody any ideas on how I might get the new Peterborough track plan? Google is obviously out of date now.

Just contact Network Rail and ask them for a copy?   I will try that. Anyone else?  Would the Council have plans in planning?

there were a couple of articles in Rail magazine recently that had before and after track plans, though i would have to dig through my pile to tell you issue numbers.

i may be able to get hold of a plan next time i go into the depot, but im not at work for a week due to half term.

from what i can make out it is the bay platform has been filled in and another island platform added with a few changes to switches for the freight loops, not been there for ages.

there were a couple of articles in Rail magazine recently that had before and after track plans, though i would have to dig through my pile to tell you issue numbers.

i may be able to get hold of a plan next time i go into the depot, but im not at work for a week due to half term.

from what i can make out it is the bay platform has been filled in and another island platform added with a few changes to switches for the freight loops, not been there for ages.

Hi

Thank you.  I think I found the GBrF depot on google maps, is it in the same location as the Network Rail signage, you cannot drive in it has a Railway Trespass sign so i won't be visiting there.

We took a lot of  photos end of January and it helps with the platforms but it is not easy to see how they changed the track layout. Bay platform is no de-railed, but not filled in last time we were there.

seems one of the through lines going down to London is no longer through and goes past the back of what was platform 3 to form a new platform 3, with 3 becoming two and 2 becoming 1.

As I have barely any copydex left, I used a PVA (not as thick a one as I would have liked, but it did the job) I added some green scatter (3 mixed colours light med dark) to see how I was going

And popped it next to Aidensfield Arms for a sizing 60ft

med_gallery_17883_2992_285681.jpgrmweb712willow12

A quick snap of the beech for comparison 100ft

med_gallery_17883_2992_70829.jpg rmweb713beech13

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

earlier generic trees (still home made ) for comparison

med_gallery_17883_2992_748924.jpgrmweb714tree14

A nearby home for comparison...with a tall thin trunk and upright foliage this fits fine

med_gallery_17883_2992_811173.jpgrmweb717tree17

And smaller one, trees about the size often are often the largest trees used on layouts

med_gallery_17883_2992_112149.jpgrmweb715tree15

and Its normal home

med_gallery_17883_2992_299167.jpgrmweb716tree16

• Like 5

Thank you Jack374

I do like trees, plus I like to work out what photographs well. At present this branches are only the short ones, I am construction the longer ones that will be added. Willows usually look well near water which means these one might well end up riverside somewhere. My father had a gate made from willow, and when it rained heavily just after he bought it it actually started sprouting!!!!! Unfortunately none of us thought to take a photograph. But Willow branches root easily in water, so broken branches that fall into the water often grow roots and manage to find purchase and grow. They are also useful for water divining, my father swears he used to check sites for rubbish and water by divining. However when we asked him to find a water pipe across our lawn he could not find it. But it makes a great story.

The willow even without full waterfall foliage just can't sit in this spot

med_gallery_17883_2992_263090.jpgrmweb718trees18

And even here, when compared against the Aidensfield Arms, it will look really good, but take up a potential space for a large building

med_gallery_17883_2992_548639.jpgrmweb719trees19

But it is a really nicely sized building and will definitely get a spot which shows it off, the waterfall effect is being built up at the moment out of copper wires. I'll pop a picture up later.

rr_weeping_willow.jpgpoetrypoem.com

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I do like your trees, especially the size as most people do not/cannot do them that big.

Impressed, I told my wife there was a lady on here building scale size trees and she replied, "They will be able to fall on the line when the wind blows."!  To be fair her journey home last night wss delayed by about 30 minutes while they removed a tree from the line.

PS  Is there nowhere near the river for it?

Edited by ChrisN

I suspect it will end up at the end of a river into a waterfall where the branches hang gracefully just above the water

1529_colored_weeping_willow.jpgtrekearth...jacqueslanctot

The river which is on Heartbeat at the moment will probably be a good position, replacing the tree on the right.

med_gallery_17883_3001_280288.jpg

• Like 1

Using the finest copper wire I have, I twine similar sizes into individual branches

med_gallery_17883_2992_183592.jpgrmweb722trees22

I repeat this with different lengths

I then coat them in flex bark, and when dry cover in PVA (as no copydex left) then cover in mixed scatter

med_gallery_17883_2992_108225.jpgrmweb721trees21

Then attach each separate branch.

med_gallery_17883_2992_19448.jpgrmweb723trees23

• Like 2

I have added tamiya earth textured colour to the tree bark and the main branches

still using the circular tray so that I can slowy swivel the tree I add the bunch of branches I have made

med_gallery_17883_2992_737516.jpgrmweb724trees24

A view from above showing a few attached, (the excess wire is wrapped around the original branches) compare the ones with similar branches to the ones that had the same length going up a branch, although both appear on weeping willows, the longer ones with similar lengths are what give the waterfall effect that we recognise as a weeping willow.

med_gallery_17883_2992_192642.jpgrmweb725trees25

I'm building up one side for comparison, although this will make the tree lopsided and likely to tip over. the wood is used to weight the wires and counterbalance.

med_gallery_17883_2992_638024.jpgrmweb726tree26

Any bare copper wire is then ale otouched up with the flex bark.

• Like 6

Has anyone lee got this? My YESTERDAY posts say today!!! So I am in a time warp, because I made this evening posts whilst it is still today afternoon......Dr Who or what  :sungum:

I refreshed and they appear normal......weird....gremlins......

Edited by Jaz

Hi Jaz

My first post on here but I just had to say how well that willow is progressing, it is something that I wish to model later on for my river and like you I have a few photographs (somewhere) that I took in Devon last October ready for the occasion. Currently I have the first of a few Elms needed on the go which I hope to progress later.

In the meantime I will follow your build with interest. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone lee got this? My YESTERDAY posts say today!!! So I am in a time warp, because I made this evening posts whilst it is still today afternoon......Dr Who or what  :sungum:

I refreshed and they appear normal......weird....gremlins......

Huh. It is still afternoon Jaz.

Afternoon Dec,12, 2013.................................No that can't be right?

Greenscenes flexi bark, is basically gone, can't finish tree, must order more.

So a sidetrack....

At one of the fairs, I came across Knightwing. I have bought there stuff before, but from a search of a specific item. This time I had a browse. They do plastic and metal products. But I like the metal ones because, in theory, they are more robust. However if you bend some thing to far, or two repeatedly it will snap.

Anyway not being very switched on to the various railway details I picked up a Station Approach.  B42 00/H0 Statin Approach Set A.

med_gallery_17883_3113_627558.jpgrmweb727knightwing

I was thinking these probably include some clever plates down by the tracks as they come in, I was then left feeling foolish when I realie what they really were.

b042_small.jpgnewmodellersshop.co.uk

This product on the newmodellersshop does not represent the items I got in my pack.

3 pavements, 4 bollards, 3 planters, 3 lights. And for some reason they supply the lamps in a curved shape (you need to straighten these, I rubbed them with my fingers to warm them up, I believe popping them in warm metal is a safer way.

Trees...

Just bought today, from local Florist, it is called,.....Semtex,..Stemtex, very thin florists tape,for doing,buttonhole flowers.

See pics below....

12587617433_24156f38ff.jpg

.for tightly wrapping around the cables,once twisted.

12587616043_af3497c87d.jpg

Edited by David Todd