Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi

If you want inspiration, look no further than this thread by Robson and Jerome... (or something like that)   :)  The singing and acting is not great, but the humour is matched only by the quality.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/

:secret:

Freebs is another that leaves me in awe, some fantastic layouts on the forum

check out one of Freebs:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71841-too-black/

Many more too, but I could start a new thread just listing them all  :)

Edited by Kal

I was asked about our joins....

I made Port Lynn cove as a one off surprise for Kal when he was away for work. It was set up between the two long runs and below what later became RAF Zollywood. It was a spot where two rests enabled a lift off work table that Kal made for me. It was a lovely flat space crying out for some scenery  :mosking:  Kal said it was perfect and we needed a cliff above as we needed to cover two heights of tracks, a joke with Julian and a love of  Helicopters and RAF Zollywood was born.

Then came the problem the cove was heavy and had to be lifted on and off by two people in order to protect it, so KAL had a brainwave and added two more rests, which became sliders, this allowed it to seat in place 90% of the time and be moved forward for us to get in and reach the area at the back. but for videoing it was all bitty.

Then there was that little waterfall, I always new I had to extend it off to the right. The top to RAF and the bottom to the cove. Off to the right Port Lynn (who was the nutter who mentioned Doc Martin!?) We needed there to be some sense of progress between the different areas, otherwise break boards would have to be used. 

Issues :

1. The waterfall needed a little bridge crossing it.

2. The waterfall will need to be finished in order to bring the scenery into some sense of harmony.

3. The RAF clifftop had to look to visually join the lower cove whilst still allowing for it to be pulled out

4. The RAF had to join to Port Lynn, and run down to Kalborough

5. Along the way we need some access to Port Lynn cove, people can't just swim in can they!

Ideas moved around as we thought through the various problems about, Kal likes a logical smooth run, discussions of people bungee jumping down or swinging out from rescue helicopters were discounted, we do plan to have A hanging spot for a helicopter but that is another storey. So there was a host of issues. Some pictures to show all this off are partly on Arboretum Valley already and I will repeat this there so as to not hog your thread.

But the solution? Well we used plaster cast. 

Plaster cast foundation class 101, hope this helps  :scratchhead:

On the horizontals plastrcast could be fully wetted overlaid if necessary. and popped in place.

1. Buy large quantities not small packs or you'll need a mortgage. Craft Mills does a BIG box.Check internet for best price and postage.

2. Get a large container (it is messy) a plastic sink bowl is good, and a spare container for the residue (I'll explain)

3. Get a bigger box to put the large box that arrives in....the powder can drive you potty (not a Harry Potter reference)

4. Old squash bottles for water are also useful. Going up and down a loft ladder not being recommended. (In hot weather fresh can be swigged ;p) And a LOT of toilet paper to wipe your hands, with the bonus the sticky stuff goes under the plaster cast for modelling  :sungum:

5. Try smaller strips first, dip cloth in water, lift out with your off hand and with your good hand (I'm left handed) rub the cloth so the plaster fills in as many of the holes/gaps as possible. Because these gaps can look appalling when you want close up photos. A rich mans solution? Two layers. A poor mans solution? Well when you rub and squeeze this stuff some of the white dribbles into the water. Which as it dries make a mess like soil and water, but with a brush or a craft knife can be used to cover said holes. (N.B. When this white stuff has accident dried out completely just rewet it and its still usable....bonus)

N.B. The white stuffs does tend to drop on in opportune places, buildings tracks etc, but don't worry a clean paint brush and water will remove it and a careful wipe of tissue and your good again.

N.B. If it is drying too fast have an old kitchen sprayer full of water and keep it damp.

6. I prefer to hand paint even though it takes longer, but 3 or 4 old kitchen sprayers with some washes of grey, beige, black (thin!) and red or terracotta, can then be sprayed on top at speed to colour this. LET each thin wash dry before the next wash, do 60-80% coverage each time, don't do when still wet or you get one colour not overlaid colours.

Finally for this foundation course. 

When trying to make areas that need to be moved do not wet all the plaster cast!!! 

Fix it to one side of the join that needs to stay permanently in place (usually the higher side) (If possible hang it horizonally for this, you will have to Heath Robinson it for ve rtical ares) Only wet an initial inch or two for firm traction. Once it has dried (if tricky PVA is an additional option for vertical hard to fix placings. Then ready the other side and add tin foil, cling film, even tissue - basically anything you can remove later.Than hang it across over scrunched up tissue paper. I tend to add the original plaster cast in a scrolled effect so I can shape the plaster over tissue paper, if its not flat its not obvious, 

Once all tested and dried, remove the tin foil etc and see if it is sturdy enough to be popped in and out repeatedly, 

N.B. If you are made redundant see if the local hospital needs someone to do the casts for broken bones!!!!

And use greenery to cover the joins. Again fixed on one side little pins can then held it in place on the other side and can be removed replaced as necessary. Vairsnts of all these ideas are sure to occur. There is no exact science, just go with the flow.

I will leave you to digest this monologue, don't forget start small. If you have questions I'll try to answer them. Though I am not sure I should be giving a masterclass!!!!

Hi 

:)  I am not old enough to remember them, but J was around when service numbers were given in roman numerals , so he may do  :jester:

They were incredibly funny, in a time when "Camp" was very much .. not the thing to do   ......     :no:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRupUOwnhGQ for the curious and reminiscing types  .....

As for Sandy  ...   circumstances back then forced him to pretend to be straight  ......   last seen years ago with wife and 2 1/2 kids   .......   :dontknow:

J

[Cent, Ret'd]

VIII N  II VI I III VII K

Home run

Edited by jcredfer

Oi!

plan to have A hanging spot for a helicopter but that is another storey

Capital Punishment went out years ago   ..........  :fie:    

..........   well if you must go ahead, at least use a RN one  ............ now where's my old APM armband and Warrant Card  .....   :aggressive_mini:

J

Posts 15, 83 and 136 show some of the exposed areas and some of the 'joins'

The video on post 26 will also show the lack there of

med_gallery_17883_2806_1151552.jpg

Taken at a bare all angle

med_gallery_17883_2806_1155901.jpg

The whole bought forward to show the overlapping scenery

med_gallery_17883_2806_1158664.jpg

The top was attached allowed to dry, then the rest was readied to drape over some damp tissue which was placed in to add contours then tweaked. I used a shallow dish, to get the water in place, three hands would have been useful here

med_gallery_17883_2806_943549.jpg

A join removed and a gapping hole exposed

med_gallery_17883_2806_1474529.jpg

Some foam was used to help get the shape and retained to keep it, notice the lip at the bottom edge that was placed in dried then carefully eased back off, the lip then rest in place, and photographed VERY carefully.

The art of pushing the cove backwards is to do it slowly and ease individuals bits up and over the scenery below. This is still all a work in progress, and some finer points will be added. Although we prefer to show 'pretty' pictures, we will do bare all exposes as necessary.

Incidentally plaster cast is useful for holding the scenery together at the back as well, and for giving to the kids to shut them up when their bored. Setting them the task of making rocks is pretty sneaky....but hey...... :mosking: It wasn't my idea honest...........

Edited by Jaz

Hi Both,

The yachting crew clearly with clothes. 

Phew - they look almost overdressed for the weather  ....   :sungum:

I like the umbrellas on the beach, are they Jas paint jobs?

By the way, you said that you were going to have to make a road down to the Cove. Looking at the pictures, the ladders look pretty good anyway, do you have any intentions for the use of the road?

There are quite a lot of places without a road to the beach [sidmouth, and several in Cornwall, that I am sure you will have visited - in Hippie van. She keeps on pointing them out - saw 3 yesterday and that was just going down to the shop, after school  ....    :smoke:   ]

J

• Like 1

J

The road is just a narrow path, look at the point leading up from the tea rooms, look to the right of the tearoom level and it goes up to Port Lynn / Kalborough road, then the embankment steps (ladders) are from Hornby, and I wish I had bought more because they sell for sllly money now. They get people down the two levels (made to size) to the beach The sand around them is loose, so I can pinch it up and dribble over the gaps with a windswept look.

The umbrellas as you say are hand painted to match the beach huts. A hippie van should just about get down that slope, I'll try and get a picture taken from the necessary angle, not forgetting that this area is not finished so a pretty one might be difficult.

Ian  ...  ?

I am getting very hungry J....I think I need a sandwich.

Have you been taking SWMBO lessons  .......   :nono:

I.ve been gardening, in-between domestic chores  .......   :drag:

Hi Both, I'm going to  have to do something soon, or Ian will derail your post with nagging requests for portable sustenance  ....   :offtopic:

The road is just a narrow path,

Is that it to the right, on the moveable section.........   I hope you have a turning circle on the Hairpin Bend, half way down  ..... 

Had a teacher mate who used to drive Low Loaders across the Alps and other mountains  ...   he had to reverse up/down alternate risers, as the trucks were too long to get around the Hairpin bends  ...   :danced:

J

As usual,despite the heat, I have pottered about doing little jobs, including touching up the paint on the outside of the house where my dad lets the cats in willy nilly and their muddy paws stand out on our white walls. I have done the VW camper van, just waiting for a photo opportunity it is too dark now. The 3 models I have chosen for Harry, Ron and Harmoine have all had some touch ups. Another photo seesion required, A couple of the RAF guys have been painted, to give Julian something to make fun of - same. But in the meantime with thanks to LF&T who of course isn't seeing this so I am e-mailing him his copies here is my first attempt with my competition win.I got them about a week ago, decided to use plasticard and do a dry run. Hence the winsows are scribed and painted (I would need to order etched ones) and I used scissors (sacrilege) and a bit of copydex so I could glue the a4 printed elevation to the card and attempt to scribe throughout it, the paper tears, a lot!!! I have only done a few panels so the remaining paper drawings fill the gap. Although the walls will be white I used railmtch concrete and whilst still part wet I ran humbrol white over it, more for a texture than a colour. I have somewhere a pub signage, just need to locate it. So here we have my first try which I photographed last night as they don't need good light yet

med_gallery_17883_2781_450677.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2781_450677.jpg

The thached top is the photograph,as is the nice windows to the left, the doorway and the right hand side including the tiles are mine

med_gallery_17883_2781_43019.jpg

the thatch is the photograph as are the side building to the right, the rest is me.

30 thou, scribed, and some paint. A long way to go.

Edited by Jaz

For Julian and mini driver a hippie van, on the cove we have been discussing, although the 'road' leads up and down it so far is not a smooth run through, but carefully photographed you can get away with....a lot

med_gallery_17883_2806_806769.jpg

Yesterday this was a plain grey VW van, I have bought colours in for a project and wanted to test my painting skills before I tried them on a loco

Kal wants me to do him a Mystery Machine (Scooby Dooby Doo!!!) after seeing this. I take that as a compliment. ;)

med_gallery_17883_2806_990305.jpg

Two sides

med_gallery_17883_2806_958225.jpg

not so close

med_gallery_17883_2806_437105.jpg

Having hit Harry Potter content, Harry, Ron, Harmoine. I repainted the hair of the two on the left, but its not so clear in this picture

med_gallery_17883_2806_324785.jpg

same further away

med_gallery_17883_2806_719486.jpg

• Like 5