Farnley Burton Waiting Room (Another exercise in modelling with Foamex)

Here's the latest work (Expected Completion Date Summer 2014)

It's a companion piece to my main staion building, loosely based on JCL's yet-to be built Wainfleet Waiting room

Wall shell cut out of 2mm Forex, strenghtened inside with a floor and dividing wall. Removable roof section base from 2mm, with sloping roof sections from 1mm - note yellow patches are remnants of contact adhesive which will be covered by the roof tiles.

Architectural ledges and cills also from 1mm

As per the station building the stonework will be scribed directly on to the surface of the Forex.

post-15693-0-54069100-1374850136_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

loosely based on JCL's yet-to be built Wainfleet Waiting room

Harsh, but true.

I see you got some of the boys from the Fens on a night out.

post-15693-0-10970700-1375170124_thumb.jpg

Work continues apace. Two sides of the building have now been scribed, guttering has been fitted (I do love making guttering - there's something strangely satisfying about welding little bits of plastic onto bigger bits of plastic) and the tiling strips have been stuck to all four pitches. All that remains here is to make some ridge tiles, then scribe the other two walls, make a chimney stack then I'm ready for priming! I usuallly make and fit the downpipes separately so as to avoid getting paint on the stonework. At the moment, the roof is a removable module to faciliitate window fitting, For rigidity, the model has a floor with cut outs ready to accept the two doors, and a small hole in said floor for possible future lighting

attachicon.gifscribing and roof.jpg

Work continues apace. Two sides of the building have now been scribed, guttering has been fitted (I do love making guttering - there's something strangely satisfying about welding little bits of plastic onto bigger bits of plastic) and the tiling strips have been stuck to all four pitches. All that remains here is to make some ridge tiles, then scribe the other two walls, make a chimney stack then I'm ready for priming! I usuallly make and fit the downpipes separately so as to avoid getting paint on the stonework. At the moment, the roof is a removable module to faciliitate window fitting, For rigidity, the model has a floor with cut outs ready to accept the two doors, and a small hole in said floor for possible future lighting

Looking good, very neat model. Making guttering and downpipes is one of my pet modelling hates!

Alan.

I've developed a real liking for it Alan - Guttering is Evergreen half round with tiny strips of 0.84mm wide 10 thou solvented on at regular intervals for brackets and joints. Downpipes are plastic encased wire rod, bent to shape with thin wire wrapped round for brackets - a bit fiddly to make, but I enjoy the end result:

post-15693-0-51911500-1375179965_thumb.jpg

It's a tip I picked up from Iain Robinson and works a treat.

• RMweb Gold

Gotta say Lee, I enjoyed downpipes, but my guttering was a pain, I think I may do the 1/2 round myself. Do you need to bend the 0.84mm straps before you apply them to the guttering, or are they thin enough not to have to?

The waiting room is coming along a pace. I'd best make a start on my own - mind, having seen your station there's no way I'm going to start a competition, I'd have no chance!

A good modelling night last night- the ridge tiles are on, and the chimney stack in place. Just a couple of little bits of fettling and then ready to spray with Primer

Going camping for the weekend tomorrow, so this could be it for a while..

post-15693-0-55580300-1375256976_thumb.jpg

Following a spray of  grey undercoat, the walls and chimney stack were treated with a coat of my sandstone mix to start as a base and then, when dry, washed over with the first coat of diliute black to settle in all the nooks and crannies. The roof was then painted up with a dry brush of grey emulsion with cerulean blue, followed by a lighter dry brushing  with a little magnolia emulsion mixed in. All that's left for that bit now is to paint the guttering. Once the walls have been weathered up, I will then make and paint the windows

post-15693-0-66659300-1375777365_thumb.jpg

*edit* Chimney pots made from cut down cotton buds with a small piece sliced in half for the half clay were painted up with my own mix (as I didn't have any terrocotta coloured paint) consisting of a trial and error combination of Humbrol Sand, Crimson, Magnolia Emulsion and Artist's Acrylic Red...

This is looking really nice, I am going to try his forex next time the thickness gives a great sense of 3D and brick depth, windows the same. Do you roll paper for the chimneys? Or use an Evergreen products or something similar?

How do you achieve the roof ridges? They are also really nice.

Also do you add the floors for rigidity?

How big is the actual model?

P.S. The garden looks very colourful at present.

Cheers Jaz

The chimney pots were made from cotton bud sticks a per my edit up there - not quite as detailed as a casting - but they serve the purpose - and at 40p for a box, there are a lot of chimney pots to be had ;)

Roof ridges - on the station building I cut a strip of 10thou at 4mm wide, scored it and folded in lengthways, then superglued it to the ridge, then when stuck, applied tiny pieces of 10thou microstip at intervals for the joins - you need to glue them solid on one side of the ridge, then when set, turn the thing around and fold the strip down the other side, gluing with solvent. For this building, I tried the same but with 20thou - it didn't fold without snapping, so I made an L piece out of 2 pieces of Evergreen 20thou strip, and followed the same procedure with the strips. It produces a more solid looking ridge. Next time, I might actually get some actual L section, but it was all I had to hand, and I try to be as thrifty as possible when building

Floors really need to be added for rigidity, but you could also add strength with corner bracing. Because for neatness, I wanted to paint the walls before adding windows, I've left the roof as removable, but if you were fixing it solid, then obviously, you'd have to leave the floor out so as to get into the structure..

post-15693-0-40219400-1375782202_thumb.jpg

post-15693-0-84872500-1375782220_thumb.jpg

The actual model is 190mm long x 50mm deep x 60mm high (to roof line) 93mm high to top of chimney.

The garden is just an explosion of greenery at the moment - we just haven't time to tame it

PS - If you want to try some of this Forex/Foamex - send me a PM and I'll see if I can send you a few sample pieces.

Lee

This is so good, Lee. I am totally impressed, another masterpiece in the making. Your hallmark clean, sharp, precise work and the stonework is particularly ...brilliant. Your rise to the highest echelon of modelmakers has been very fast, knocking me off the faded plant pot marked mediocre as you hit the top spot. I only hate you a little bit...except that you now reveal your ace cycling skills. :triniti:

Seriously, this is looking so good mate.

cheers,

Iain

edited for spelling...duh!

I love our garden, at present two red deer, a mummy and a bambi, are enjoying the ponds (luckily we got some heavy rain) the dandelions, clover, and the odd chomp of fruit tree. I suspect they plan to enjoy the fruit harvest. Taking a walk here can turn into lunch. White, red, black currents, (blackberries aren't ready yet) but logan berries and hybrid are lovely and messy. Apples, pears, plums, medlars (very acquired taste) quince (the same) asian peas etc, with our own crab apples are coming along nicely, we should make home made cider but we leave it for the birds. Seabuckthorne berries are very now in haute cuisine. You see cherries but the birds scoff them when pink. Sloes for the gin. Peaches once in a blue moon, de nancys, greengages, mulberries (a couple only each year so far). Later we get walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and bobs. Yummy I'm off to eat berries..................I'd put up pictures but very OTT. Byeeee

Ah Freebs

I thought this foamex was purchasable, Do you know what is a similar product. No point in scrounging off you, because once we open up the old loft we will need tonnes of building stuff. Whats the minimum amount you can buy? 

Jaz, I'll have a look into it for you - we buy it in sheets here at work, then I get all the off-cuts (If I can grab them before they hit the bin ;) )

In the meantime - here's some more Weathered stonework. Unlike the Station building, I'm happy with this one now - the paintwork under the eaves is a bit dirty - what do you guys think?  A bit over the top on the sooty drybrushing, or believable? (bearing in mind you're only going to see it from low angle...

Also - what do you think of the nameboard? Is that about the right size/ in right location? It's a bit shiny because it's printed on photographic paper.

post-15693-0-23541600-1375879181_thumb.jpg

post-15693-0-28587400-1375879217_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I can't comment on the sign, but the colour looks great to me! When you put it next to the station building, and they look like they're a match then it must be right!

Nice work mister

Archived