Branch Line Terminus/Goods yard advice

jamest

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I'm about to embark on a new layout and I'd like some advice/opinions on my ideas.

This plan started as a 4 foot yard (Green board below) served by a 4 foot fiddle yard. Everything was laid, and I had a play. The engine would arrive into a road and the wagons and brake van would be removed by a shunting wagon. Then the normal expansion thoughts entered my head and I decided I'd like to model the other side of the plan and incorporate a station and run around loop.

I think my original yard is compromising my overall plan, but I've worked something out, and plucked up the courage to put it out on RMweb!

post-7097-0-93944700-1378321123_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard is to the right and the left hand yard (green) has the track laid - it is all wired up with peco point motors - so I'd rather not rip it up and start again, but it is not impossible :-)! The white board does not have any track laid yet.

The main doubt I have is running around with the loco into the goods line with the crane - Is this a major no-no? - Its my only option as I have arranged it.

It will be set in the end of stream/green diesel era and my loco shed is of the GWR persuasion, but I am open to suggestions on location.

Regards,

James

• RMweb Gold

What you really need to do is turn round the engine release crossover in the platform line - but that is going to be rather difficult it would appear.  Having looked at various alternatives based on where you have to start from (the green bit) I can't see an easy one unfortunately.  You have painted yourself into a corner by using the goods road as your engine release headshunt and even putting the passenger platform on the opposite side isn't going to dig you out of that one at all easily I'm afraid.

Simplest solution is turn round the release crossover.

• RMweb Gold

hmmm looks like my fears were justified.

I had played with the station location and goods arrangement and, as you say, I think I have indeed painted myself into a corner.

I'll have a play and see what I can do. I could always return to the four foot goods yard and do a BLT another time.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Regards,

James

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I need to reign in the desire to have a station and hold true to my original intent.

I do like the idea of a scenic board to show off my locos entering the scene. I've not been into steam up to now but I'm mesmerized by my new 4MT and pannier gliding along.

How about this?

post-7097-0-17676200-1378326721_thumb.jpg

Just a simple scenic runup.

Regards,

James

Is the scenery on the existing board fixed?

If not could you put the station where the crane/goods shed is?

The short siding could be removed and replaced by one on the new board replacing the platform shown in your original plan but longer to accommodate the goods shed and crane which would still be served by your access road. The new siding to be facing to arriving trains.

• RMweb Gold

Is the scenery on the existing board fixed?

If not could you put the station where the crane/goods shed is?

The short siding could be removed and replaced by one on the new board replacing the platform shown in your original plan but longer to accommodate the goods shed and crane which would still be served by your access road. The new siding to be facing to arriving trains.

Interesting idea - there is no scenery yet, only track.

I'll give it a bash on Anyrail tomorrow.

Thanks, I knew I'd get a few good suggestions on here.

James

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I need to reign in the desire to have a station and hold true to my original intent.

I do like the idea of a scenic board to show off my locos entering the scene. I've not been into steam up to now but I'm mesmerized by my new 4MT and pannier gliding along.

How about this?

attachicon.gifjames 4' goods yard medium3.jpg

Just a simple scenic runup.

Regards,

James

I fail to see any advantage of this track plan at all. All you've done is shorten the passing loop & removed the station building. You still have the problem that running around causes the loco to occupy the track outside the goods shed. How about moving the goods shed to be opposite the yard crane?

• RMweb Gold

I fail to see any advantage of this track plan at all. All you've done is shorten the passing loop & removed the station building. You still have the problem that running around causes the loco to occupy the track outside the goods shed. How about moving the goods shed to be opposite the yard crane?

It wasn't intended as a passing loop - It was mearly a join of the two roads coming from the yard and I intended to use a shunting train to remove the wagons from a train arriving into the yard.

But I am taken with the idea of a station in the goods area and removing the short siding in the green area (sorry for all of you who were scratching your heads based on the rule that I wasn't changing the green zone). The loco/goods shed move suggested by both you and gordon are also options - but my first port of call tonight on anyrail will be moving the station I think.

Thanks again for all your comments,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Had a play (after sketching several times in work) on Anyrail and the station move looks like a pretty good idea to me. The platform face should easily take two coaches and a train - which is all I can reasonably hope for in the space I have. And I have only moved one point on the already laid green section.

I'm not 100% about the loco shed and factory/industry - so it might end up without the factory. Or it might end up disappearing into the fiddle yard with just a factory front visible.

But overall I think it will look good and provide plenty of operational interest:

post-7097-0-93201300-1378404318_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

The latter plan looks better, but would be tempted to put the engine shed back where the factory is shown. Maybe turn the point back the other way and run into a short bay platform - a small goods shed could be paced there similar to a couple of stations on the Exeter / Barnstaple line?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Food for thought there - I had entertained the option of a bay platform, but I want to keep the transition between boards as simple as possible. Its an option though.

I've been playing with track this afternoon, a therapeutic pastime, but prone to flashes of inspiration and thoughts of change! While I was lifting the RH point in the green zone I thought it might be better used in place of the LH point at the bottom. Yes I know!...my brief was to keep the green zone as is, and I've now changed 50% of the points in that area! But it will involve minimal changes to the wiring and the hole in the baseboard will obviously fit either handed point.

I think it gives me better options in the yard and more space at the front of the layout - I was always worried about the empty triangle between the station line and the straight line on the previous option:

post-7097-0-63416400-1378488290_thumb.jpg

As for the second board - it still needs thought on whether I will add some industry as shown, or settle for simplicity and just have a loco shed (on the factory side).

Regards,

James

Archived