Hornby Lowmac from the odds and ends box

Ernie,

I do not know which variety of Lowmac Hornby are producing, but if you can identify the origin and version of the prototype there may be one in use on a heritage railway that could be photographed.

Is your Lowmac supposed to be vacum braked?

Gordon A

Bristol

I do not know which variety of Lowmac Hornby are producing,

The Hornby, ex-Airfix lomac was an inspired choice, I recall going through the diagram books and posting a list (it must have been on the DEMU forum) that showed it to be quite a good match dimentionally for about half a dozen different diagrams. If anyne could look that list up, it would help me find the photos.

Jon

Interesting since i have just "renovated an old Hornby/Airfix Lomac and was looking for some colour pictures of what the deck looked like.  Unless something crops up it will be generic rahter than to a particular diagram.  So will be following this thread to see if anyone comes up with some pictures.  By the way, the original wheels that are way beyond the pale can be replaced with US HO truck wheels.  They fit in with almost no problems and are very very close to the correct size. 

I have just finished working one up. This is an ancient Airfix one. (assuming that it is the same one) The type being an Lo-Mac EU.

post-4587-0-63775200-1378849601_thumb.jpg

post-4587-0-75207400-1378849641_thumb.jpg

I converted it to EM and added AJ's as well. I have so far avoided fitting the vac pipes as they might foul the AJ.

I cut off the outer brake links (don't know what else to call them...the bit that hold the brake shoe) and with the remains made up a pair of masters then cast them in white metal.

I wish that I had taken a before picture now.

• Like 3

Interesting since i have just "renovated an old Hornby/Airfix Lomac and was looking for some colour pictures of what the deck looked like.  

Dirty and rusty - the wood would never be painted, the steel plates just may have been the same colour as the body side, but not much sign of it http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowmacep

Paul

I don't have as much as I expected -  I'll look again at the weekend, as in  a few cases I seem to have photographed the neighbouring wagons chassis in detail, but bypassed the Lowmac.

3/4 views to help i.d. the wagon

Lowmac at Northampton & Lamport.

post-336-0-95687300-1378928869.jpg

post-336-0-15970700-1378928871.jpg

post-336-0-69030800-1378928872.jpg

post-336-0-04467000-1378928874.jpg

post-336-0-66542700-1378928875.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There was even one registered as a ferry wagon. Its sole use was to transfer wheelsets or bogies for other ferry wagons and rolling stock that had failed overseas.  It was fitted with an air brake through pipe as can be seen in some of the photographs. There is a colour photograph of it in a book or magazine but I cannot find it at the moment. 

There was even one registered as a ferry wagon. Its sole use was to transfer wheelsets or bogies for other ferry wagons and rolling stock that had failed overseas.  It was fitted with an air brake through pipe as can be seen in some of the photographs. There is a colour photograph of it in a book or magazine but I cannot find it at the moment. 

More than one-  there were six, I believe, sharing the work with about the same number of Ferry Tubes. These ones had UIC-style buffers as well:-( http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshire%20models%20and%20supplies%20website_058.htm )

There was at least one example present at Dover Town Yard until the Train Ferry stopped in 1995.

Looking at the Vintage Carriage Trust list, to which I posted a link earlier, I was surprised to see how many examples to so many different designs, survived. A very useful type for preservationists, it appears. If anyone's looking for loads, then one of the last regular flows using the wagons was of new ambulances from Fratton (Portsmouth) to Health Authorities throughout the UK; they were from a nearby coachbuilders (Wadham-Stringer?)

Using the dimensions

wheelbase 22ft,

flat deck 16ft

length over headstocks of about 30ft

I get Diagrams

LMS54a

GW12

LNER 30

BR 2/242,243,246,247,253,254

Totalling 348 wagons!

Lowmac EP/ER/ES/EU/SC/SF/SH/WP/WBB/MS/MO - why they didn't standardise a whole-BR-series (rather than regional) letter code for these I don't know, nor why there were quite so many little batches, particularly as this already seemed to be a standard 25t design shared between the GWR/LMS/LNER

Not all were vac braked, and some were air piped for ferry.

Jon

Edited by jonhall

The BR diagrams had three different wheel diameters, two different lengths and, as remarked there were fitted and unfitted.

Each Region had its own code letters for identical Specially constructed wagons.

Those 6 with ferry fittings had them from new, so were used for revenue traffic - not just by the engineers for moving spares to the continent. There is a well known photo series of them being used as under runners for a huge bit of kit - IIRC a fractionating column for an oil refinery.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Resurrecting from the depths! Details on headstocks still leave me a little confused, could someone advise what would be additional on the ends for the Air piped examples? and is it shown in any of Jon's pictures above? I have 2 old Lowmacs in the spares box that could do with some attention, kadees, etc, and be a nice simple little conversion to a couple of these https://www.igg.org.uk/rail/7-fops/fo-vbcont.htm It'd be something different to run with bogie flats and upset purists, but air pipes would at least stop any criticism of lack of compatible brakes.

Also, what would be the right TOPS code for the airpiped versions?

Thanks

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 2