Worsley Works GWR 4mm Range

Coach bogie

More known for his 3mm ranges, Worsley Works have a range of 4mm etches that include GWR vehicles. The entire GWR articlulated train has been available for some time, but of recent interest is the introduction of full body/floor etches for GWR clerestories. So far I have purchased two, an E73 and the one off 68 foot brake third 2400 to D39. As someone who is used to Mallard/Blacksmith, the Worsley Works range are a major update and improvement. (in fairness the Mallard range were hand drawn over 40 years ago).

Improvementsinclude the pre etched door hinge holes. Anyone who has had to mark, punch and drill these out will appreciate what a time saving advantage this is. Secondly the roof - always the 'difficult area' with clerestories. Worsley works have obviously put alot of thought into this with slot and tab construction with formers at every compartment (see images). Everything fits into pre etched slots You end up with a rigid box that does not distort. Another benefit is the etched in rainstrips - again always time consuming to get right when you have to add them yourself.

So what do you get. Sides, ends, roof ,floor, droplights and end steps all etched with crisp distinct panelling. To complete 247 Developments, David Geen, Comet etc have sufficient bogies, castings etc to complete.

So far I have only purchased the E73 and D39 but based on ease of construction I will certainly be buying more. With the current uncertainty with Blacksmith/Mallard range, this is a serious alternative that I can recommend. See the images.

The list so far can be seen

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_GWR.htm

Clerestories available are A7, C4, C17 D37, D39 D40, E14, E48, E72, E73, F5,W8.

No other connection than a satisfied customer

Mike Wiltshire

Edit completed E73 shell images added

post-9992-0-46917100-1378888141_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-11151200-1378888145_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-11053400-1378888147_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-62934400-1378888148_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-78900900-1379090913_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-74808100-1379090915_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I contacted him some time ago regarding some 4mm coaches which were in his 3mm range. He replied very quickly confirming that any coaches in his 3mm range could be done in the 4mm range. He vene gave me a price which seemed reasonable at the time.

So if there is something thats not in his 4mm range its well worth asking him.

Regrettably what with other commitments I haven't been able to take him up on his kind offer, but once modellling things settle down I may well do.

I sent an email off yesterday after the thread on here prompted me and I got an immediate reply.  It appears my missing order was an oversight and one of the GWR etches is now paid for on it's way and the remaining items are being set up to etch.  So good result; I look forward to receiving them as they are all break composites and the line I model features them almost exclusively (GWR/LNWR joint).  Break compos appear to be a rare beast in kit form.

The issue with the CooperCraft/Blacksmith range, I believe, are the castings.  This problem will persist with these Worsley etches as, unless one is prepared to build these with rigid bogies (which I do not),  then I do not think there is a current source for the castings.  I may have to resort to borrowing from other unmade kits.

Peter

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I made some enquiries about GWR and a couple of LNWR etches a number of months ago but am still waiting for a reply.

A couple of years ago I sent off the info for Plymouth Auto set coaches and every now and again he emails me to see if I still want them and every time I reply in the affirmative,  but to date they have not yet materialized despite him informing me that that artwork is done.

SS

I sent an email off yesterday after the thread on here prompted me and I got an immediate reply.  It appears my missing order was an oversight and one of the GWR etches is now paid for on it's way and the remaining items are being set up to etch.  So good result; I look forward to receiving them as they are all break composites and the line I model features them almost exclusively (GWR/LNWR joint).  Break compos appear to be a rare beast in kit form.

The issue with the CooperCraft/Blacksmith range, I believe, are the castings.  This problem will persist with these Worsley etches as, unless one is prepared to build these with rigid bogies (which I do not),  then I do not think there is a current source for the castings.  I may have to resort to borrowing from other unmade kits.

Peter

Which bogies are they? MJT do several sorts of GW cosmetic bogie sideframes for compensated frames:-

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt.php#CarriageComponents-CosmeticBogieSides

Which bogies are they? MJT do several sorts of GW cosmetic bogie sideframes for compensated frames:-

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt.php#CarriageComponents-CosmeticBogieSides

IIRC most GWR cosmetic bogies available are for later types and not the Dean period of the clerestory coaches.  I model pre-grouping exclusively.  Slaters have the 6' 4" and 8' 6" but I am still seeking a source for the 10' used on the later corridor stock.  Coopercraft have recently started selling the lost wax castings separately and I ordered one set for £5 and got just two axleboxes and a couple of springs; so for a whole bogie coach that would work out at £20 for the axleboxes and springs!  It's cheaper to buy the complete sprung bogies as these have all these items in already and the sides to boot - someone has got the pricing wrong.  The Broad Gauge Society also market the IKB range so that is another source though equally expensive but again no 10'.  might just have to wait for Coopercraft to sort the Mallard range and hopefully one day soon.

Coincidently, I got the etch for an E48 in the post yesterday which is a new break composite just launched on the Worsley Works website.  I have not had a chance to check but I think this one had the 8' 6" bogies.  The etch looks excellent and I can't wait to build this one.  I only ordered this on Friday so an excellent service.  

Still waiting for my LNWR items though.

Peter

but again no 10'. 

There are others available. 247 Developoments produce Dean 10 ft and I come across ex K's ones on occasions.

I purchased a ten pack of Hornby10 ft bogies, cleaned them up a bit and use them under various etched - only two vistors have actually noticed. Size wise they are spot on.

I understand that David Geen is intending to produce Dean bogies and is just awaiting the masters to arrive.

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 months later...

Archived